What's new

Vudu UHD 4K is now a thing... (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
If they have a single key for both UHD and HD versions this is an epic win. If you have to pay an additional $20 to get a UHD version of the film when you already own it on HD this is an epic fail.

P

Patrick Donahue

Sam Posten said:
If they have a single key for both UHD and HD versions this is an epic win. If you have to pay an additional $20 to get a UHD version of the film when you already own it on HD this is an epic fail.

Nope :-(

I'm not in a position now where I have time to find it, but I saw a screenshot this morning of San Andreas on Vudu using the Roku 4 (some WalMarts have them BTW) and UHD is just an added button next to SD, HD, and HDX. Purchase is $29.99, rental is $9.99.

I have to admit that this is probably going to kill my HDX purchases. I'm maybe 2ish years from seriously looking at a 4K TV and I just feel like I'd be a fool to continue on the 1080p path, be it physical or digital...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Patrick Donahue said:

I'm not in a position now where I have time to find it but I saw a screenshot this morning someone took of San Andreas on Vudu using the Roku 4 (some WalMarts have them BTW) and UHD is just an added button next to SD HD and HDX. Purchase is $29.99, rental is $9.99.

I have to admit that this is probably going to kill my HDX purchases. I'm maybe 2ish years from seriously looking at a 4K TV and I just feel like I'd be a fool to continue on the 1080p path, be it physical or digital...
At that price point, it's probably going to kill UHD 4K too.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I have to agree with Sam on this one, and that's pretty rare when it comes to the subject of streaming video. I won't pay 30 bucks for something if I have already paid for it once in HD, even if I only spent 5.00 on it before. I want upgrade pricing before I start buying UHD titles.

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
An upgrade program would be nice but seriously, have they ever done that with any other format? I'm thinking like Patrick in maybe needing to think before purchasing HDX if the 4K version is coming...

P

Patrick Donahue

Between not knowing if my dollars are better spent with Blu-rays or UltraViolet or iTunes... and now UHD is a reality making any 1080p purchase a questionable one... and if you see the thread I started about Disney's new movie service and the direction I think the industry will be taking...

The home entertainment landscape has just become so cloudy in recent years. It's taken some of the fun out of it, that's for sure.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Patrick Donahue said:

I'm not in a position now where I have time to find it, but I saw a screenshot this morning of San Andreas on Vudu using the Roku 4 (some WalMarts have them BTW) and UHD is just an added button next to SD, HD, and HDX. Purchase is $29.99, rental is $9.99.

This article states the price to own is $24.99 I bought a Roku 4 so I should have a unit next week.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
An upgrade program would be nice but seriously, have they ever done that with any other format? I'm thinking like Patrick in maybe needing to think before purchasing HDX if the 4K version is coming...
DVD-> HD upgrade pricing seems to be the golden goose for Vudu, no?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It all comes down to complexity. UV was supposed to solve these stupid issues for consumers and it clearly does not and will not. Until it does it will continue to be an also ran, not the behemoth it was envisioned as.

Doing right by the consumer matters. UV still seems more interested in doing right for the studios and retailers.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sam Posten said:
Still $20 too expensive.
I never said it wasn't too expensive. As of now, I'm not in a hurry to adopt this next technology. The industry has to give me more which means reasonable pricing.

P

Patrick Donahue

Robert Crawford said:
This article states the price to own is $24.99 I bought a Roku 4 so I should have a unit next week.
image.jpeg

Have my Roku 4 hooked up now. I have to be honest, if you don't have 4K you would have no idea you're even using a new unit. I happened to need one so I went 4 for a little future proofing.

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Sam Posten said:
It all comes down to complexity. UV was supposed to solve these stupid issues for consumers and it clearly does not and will not. Until it does it will continue to be an also ran, not the behemoth it was envisioned as.

Doing right by the consumer matters. UV still seems more interested in doing right for the studios and retailers.
I disagree. UV is doing it right for consumers. It's the walled gardens (Apple) that are doing it wrong for the consumer by not joining. The public should not be forced to buy any single manufacturers (Apple) products to use our digital movies. Without UV most consumers don't have a good way to use digital movies. If we had to go buy 4 different disc players in order to play 4 different types of blurays people would scream, yet this is what we have in digital until everybody adopts one standard.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Patrick Donahue said:
attachicon.gif
image.jpeg

Have my Roku 4 hooked up now. I have to be honest, if you don't have 4K you would have no idea you're even using a new unit. I happened to need one so I went 4 for a little future proofing. This unit is BIG!

attachicon.gif
image.jpeg
Same here, I needed a new unit to replace a stick in my Oppo 103.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks