What's new

VTF-3 best sub for the price? (1 Viewer)

Robie O

Auditioning
HSU is currently offering the VTF-3 on sale for $764. Can anyone suggest a better sub for the money. It will be used for about 50% music 50% HT. I have a good sized room at 12' X 30' X 10' high. I almost bought a Paradigm Servo 15 locally for about the same price but it sold before I had the chance. I could spend up to perhaps $900.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Bolivar G

Second Unit
I own a VTF-3 sub and love it.
But you will proably get a million suggestions for SVS here pretty soon:)

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
I own 2 VTF-3's and they have exceeded my expectations on a daily basis! That being said, I also am very familiar with the SVS 20-39PC-Plus and I think that it has a very slight edge over the VTF-3 when you start playing near reference level.

Can't go wrong with either.:emoji_thumbsup:

Mike Kao

Second Unit
Based on what I've heard, the SVS Plus series surpasses the VTF-3 in terms of the output department, but the VTF-3 is more accurate/musical

MarkWC

Stunt Coordinator
Since the thread is best sub for the price, I would like to refer back to the epinions face off of SvS 25-31PCI, VTF-3, and Axiom EP350. The SvS scored the same or higher in almost every category as the HSU and it etails for $550 which is $300 less than the normal priced $850 HSU. It seems almost everyone would has purchased either is very satisfied with their output so I don't think you will be let down by either one.

But if price is your only motivation, than I would say...."possibly not"

However $764 is the lowest I have seen yet for the VTF-3.

Luke_R

Agent
But there is one thing that article didn't measure, the most important thing. WAF!!:D VTF-3 kills the svs here.

Darrin_R

Stunt Coordinator
The most important thing is not 'WAF'. I think when your buying audio the sound is more important.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
The most important thing is not 'WAF'. I think when your buying audio the sound is more important.
True, but you have to remember that the "sound" will undoubtedly be effected by the sound of the little miss screaming in your ear that the SVS looks like an elephant's dong;)

That being said, I own an SVS 20-39 CS-ISD with a 500 watt sub amp powering it(about the equivalent to the 20-39 PCi), and it comes very close to the musicality to the VTF3(bass was not as quick as VTF3, took a hair of a second longer to recover and play the next note). In terms of output, it is equal to the VTF3. From all accounts, the PC-Plus series is s significant improvement over the PCi series in every aspect, and the price is comparable to the VTF3. So I would say that if you don't want to spend more than $764, go for the VTF3. If you want 99.5% of the performance of the VTF3 for $200-300 less, then look at the SVS PCi or PB1. If you want 125% of the performance of the VTF3 for $50-100 more, than look for the PC Plus series.

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
You can get the the SVS Plus series around the same price as the VTF3. You get the passive version and get something like the 380 watt Rythmik Audio amp. It also includes variable subsonic filter and continously variable phase. It is a little less power, but it relates to only 1.5dB less output. The 20-39CS Plus and Rythmik amp comes to $725.

If you're having trouble dealing with a tube, SVS has the above mentioned box sub and they're soon to release another with dual Plus woofers.

Darrin_R

Stunt Coordinator
Chung

An elephants dong??? Now THAT made me laugh. I guess Im lucky because the first time my wife saw the SVS she said that it looked just like the other subs. They were cubes so she must be blind.

Robie O

You cant go wrong with either sub. I would read the review that was referenced in a previous post.

John Gates

Second Unit
I'm also considering a sub upgrade. SVS and HSU are certainly solid competitors, and you won't be disappointed.

To add another pair of possibilities:

1. VMPS Larger sub (passive, needs amplification). See at http://www.vmpsaudio.com

2. Consider DIY with an Infinite Baffle sub (EASY). The construction is very easy, but it requires your HT room adjoin some unused space (garage, crawl space under, attic above). Within your budget, you could easily build an IB sub with excellent drivers. I'm considering this also. For info on this, go to: http://f20.parsimony.net/forum36475/index.htm Be sure to check on the FAQ link and the PICS link to get a quick idea of what I'm talking about.

Have fun!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks