What's new

VOYAGEA TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEAS (TV) in Feb! (1 Viewer)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Feb 21 to be exact. From FOX
It is "Vol 1"

But maybe its a typo, and they mean "Season 1"
heh heh

as you can see-I was so excited that I flubbed the thread title

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Where did you get this news?

Gary "geesh, it'd be nice if this were legit" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Ok, I've tracked it down. DVD Planet is advertising this for a 2/21 release. I assume this is where Mark got the info. Not much there, but at least it's something.

Gary "if this pans out, I'll have to say it's a shock as far as timing - I wouldn't have expected this from Fox until at least April or May" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Ok, Gord and David have confirmed the date for us over at TVShowsonDVD . This is wonderfully unexpected news!

Gary "I haven't been this giddy in quite some time" O. :D

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Just looking at this first half of the first season, and I'm pleased to see that "Long Live the King" will be included. Believe it or not, it's actually a Christmas themed episode (although the holiday is in the background of the plot, not central to it). And everyone should make sure they get this set if for no other reason than to watch "Submarine Sunk Here". For my money, it's the best episode of the entire series.

Gary "man, I still can't believe Fox is gonna give us this series so quickly in 2006" O.

Henry V

Stunt Coordinator
Great news indeed, I'm looking forward to getting this series especially the first year of B&W shows when they hadn't got into the "monster of the week" grind that marked the later seasons. But these are double sided discs according to the TVshowsonDVD website episode listing, I hope they aren't the dreaded DVD-18 discs that are causing so much trouble with Universals current DVD releases!

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Fox uses DVD-14 (2 layers on one side, 1 layer on the other). A few people have reported problems with them, but not many.

Gord

James Landau

Stunt Coordinator
Gord, the episode layout (just 2 one hour episodes per side) strongly suggests these discs are DVD-10s (1 layer per side), in which case why don't they just use DVD-9s (2 layers/1 side) and save people the trouble of flipping the discs over? Anything to make life more inconvenient for their customers I guess.

BTW, can we expect the video quality to be improved over the abysmal final season of Lost in Space?

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Hopefully that means we'll get Vol 2 before the end of the year. Only 1 volume a year would be the equivalent of Chinese water torture.

Does anybody know how many pilots there are? I know there are the b&w and color versions of the aired pilot. I also
understand that there was a longer pilot that was longer than the aired pilot.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

Oops, you're right. I posted news on a few shows, and the other ones were using DVD-14s.

gord

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
-"monster of the week" AND the Seaview rocking back and forth in the control room...

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
With Time Tunnel season 1 part 1 in January and now the first half of season 1 of Voyage in February, I can't help wondering (hoping) that Fox will release Time Tunnel season 1 part 2 in March followed by Voyage season 1 part 2 in April. In other words one a month. As Time Tunnel only had one series that would mean (if I am right) that in May we would see Voyage season 2 part 1. If the trend continued that would mean the whole of Voyage by December 2006!!!!!!!!
Didn't I read somewhere that it was Fox's intention to release Tunnel and Voyage in whole by the end of 2006?

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

Ditto on that, Nick :emoji_thumbsup: The only thing I'd rather not see from these Irwin Allen series releases is "Vol 1" & "Vol 2" which makes us wait for an entire season. Anyone know what the time spacing was for the "Lost In Space" volume releases? I'd guess that it would be a "standard" to go by for release times for TT & Voyage.

Tony Scello

Second Unit
Great to finally have confirmation on this:emoji_thumbsup: The release date for this seems to be even sooner than anticipated based on previous information. The long wait is over...:)

P.S. I know the earlier episodes included a mini-sub but when was the flying sub first introduced? (I just thought that was the coolest thing when I was a kid...still do)

michael_ks

Screenwriter
The Flying Sub was introduced in the 2nd season. I always felt that this was one of the coolest miniatures of the Irwin Allen series, followed by the Jupiter 2 space pod.

There's quite a cast of guest stars in the first 15 episodes: Eddie Albert, Werner Klemperer, Lloyd Bochner, Jill Ireland, Steve Ihnat, Nick Adams, Yvonne Craig, Everett Sloane, Michael Ansara, James Doohan, Malachi Throne, June Lockhart and Caroll O' Conner. We also get the aforementioned great episode "Submarine Sunk Here" and Harlan Ellison's "The Price of Doom" (who appears in the credits as "Cordwainer Bird"--the pen name he used when he was disatisfied with changes made to his scripts, an inside joke of 'fipping the bird'). Some nice scores here also by the great Hugo Friedhofer.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I must admit, I was looking forward to seeing this series on DVD but what are they thinking? I would have paid $50 easily for the first season but splitting the first season into two sets? Fox could have easily put the entire first season on one set but only two episodes on each DVD side?

They put 4 episodes per disk on the X-Files sets so I don't understand what this deal is all about ... two episodes per side per disk ... At least Universal didn't make it quite so evident with the Battlestar Galactica set.

It must really cost an arm and leg for a DVD disk ...:thumbsdown:

michael_ks

Screenwriter
Fox did the same thing with Lost in Space for seasons 2 and 3. Blame the retailers--they balked over the MSRP of $75 for the entire season (claiming a harder customer sell) and so Fox created split season releases. It wouldn't surprise me though if "Voyage" sees a complete 1st season set release for the European market like what happened with LIS.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah and this strategy still makes no sense. I really don't think the general public will picj this up anymore if it's split as they would be if a single season set was offered. I think you're either looking to buy Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea or you're not.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
In a way, the two volume approach worked for me where LIS season 3 was concerned. I hated what Fox did with the transfer quality and realized all that I was basically giving up in the last half of the season was "Time Merchant", "Target: Earth" and my guilty pleasure, "The Promised Planet"--so I didn't bite on vol. 2. (I'll pick it up one day, but at a sharply reduced price).

It'd be a toughie with "Voyage", though, seeing how the best episodes are evenly distributed in the first two seasons. In season 2, for example, there's "Jonah and the Whale", "The Cyborg" and "Escape from Venice" in the first half, "Deadly Creature Below!", "The Phantom Strikes" and "Return of the Phantom" in the latter half.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks