What's new

VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA--SEASON 4 VOL.2 (1 Viewer)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Jeff, we agree on way more issues and topics than we disagree on, and different viewpoints are a fact of life, so don't chalk me up as a forum "enemy" just yet! (I'm smiling as I write that, I hope you'll be smiling when you read it, as that's how it's intended). Forum posts sometimes don't convey the spirit of the message, just the bare words.

I respect your views and would never hope to offend you or anyone with my comments. My whole reason for chiming in here about the PAL issue is that I was genuinely curious if it was still a factor. It sounds like it is, and for me and others like me, that renders these R2 releases null and void. I worked in radio for 35 years, so audio, and especially speed and pitch issues are very important to me.

As I mentioned before, when TIME TUNNEL went into syndication in the '80s and every station was maxing out their commercial inventory, the episodes were time-sped. Everyone sounded like chipmunks to me, and even worse than PAL speed-up was the warbliness on the music track. I put up with those for years and now that the R1 sets are in the proper speed, I don't ever want to revisit that territory again.

And I surely appreciate those who cannot abide double-sided discs. They obviously cause great pains out there. Fortunately, I've never yet had a problem with a double-sided disc, but feel badly for those that do. And I feel badly for those in the PAL regions who don't KNOW that they've lived with a speed problem all of their lives, and now won't get to hear the true and proper dulcit tones of Richard Basehart in VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA, but rather a higher-pitched version of same. What did Seinfeld call them? - High-talkers? :)

Harry

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry-N
Jeff, we agree on way more issues and topics than we disagree on, and different viewpoints are a fact of life, so don't chalk me up as a forum "enemy" just yet! (I'm smiling as I write that, I hope you'll be smiling when you read it, as that's how it's intended). Forum posts sometimes don't convey the spirit of the message, just the bare words.

I respect your views and would never hope to offend you or anyone with my comments. My whole reason for chiming in here about the PAL issue is that I was genuinely curious if it was still a factor. It sounds like it is, and for me and others like me, that renders these R2 releases null and void. I worked in radio for 35 years, so audio, and especially speed and pitch issues are very important to me.

As I mentioned before, when TIME TUNNEL went into syndication in the '80s and every station was maxing out their commercial inventory, the episodes were time-sped. Everyone sounded like chipmunks to me, and even worse than PAL speed-up was the warbliness on the music track. I put up with those for years and now that the R1 sets are in the proper speed, I don't ever want to revisit that territory again.

And I surely appreciate those who cannot abide double-sided discs. They obviously cause great pains out there. Fortunately, I've never yet had a problem with a double-sided disc, but feel badly for those that do. And I feel badly for those in the PAL regions who don't KNOW that they've lived with a speed problem all of their lives, and now won't get to hear the true and proper dulcit tones of Richard Basehart in VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA, but rather a higher-pitched version of same. What did Seinfeld call them? - High-talkers? :)

Harry

Harry,

Well you forced me to post again in this thread :), and the :) is real. I never reject any "olive branch" gesture online so I wanted to say "Thanks" for your post.

You and I know that it's very easy to misinterpret forum posts. I've done that over the years but I do try to understand the meaning of someone's post before responding. I have made that mistake here apparently and I apologize for that. Regarding the other issue in the Fugitive thread, I guess I did the same thing over there? I did seek another pair of eyes there before assuming something but that's in the past, from my pov as of this post.

The PAL issue, I get it, no question about it, It's an individualized phenomenon. The irony for me, and, in my case, very fortunate, is that I have a music background and played for years. I have what's called "relative" pitch and that's why I'm actually surprised that the PAL speed hasn't been the issue that it is with other collectors. My other family members can't detect it as well, I guess we're in that percentage group that Wiki mentioned in an article.

I read an article at Wiki, which I know is not always accurate but it was an interesting read about PAL and how it's detected or not, by ppl's hearing. It also went into the technical differences with PAL & NTSC.

So, from my pov, "it's all good". Besides, I can't see two Time Tunnel fanatics not getting along at this forum ;).

Closing out the Time Tunnel complex to relinquish control to the "Seaview" with one of my favorite closing scenes from TT:

"Revenge of the Gods" is among my favorite eps:

[Ulysses / John Doucette] "The ways of the gods are strange indeed" [Tunnel activates]

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
OK Gang, I've got a puzzle for you. If you watch the unaired pilot on the S4V2 set, you might notice at the very start, an upside down, black & white frame flash by with the image of two young women from a sixties-ish-looking movie. Obviously this has nothing to do with VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA, per se, but it's an interesting puzzle nevertheless. I have no idea how it found its way onto the front of a pilot for VOYAGE.

The image is horizontally squeezed at a ratio of 1.77:1. I've captured the image, flipped it right-side up and stretched it out to its proper aspect ratio and wonder if any of our membership here recognize it.

Harry

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
I think they splice scrap pieces of film onto prints to help focus the projector and to protect the main body of the print from snapping off when the films are rewound.

The girls both look familiar. Flip the picture, the brunette's sweater has lettering. Looks like it reads "Hawthorne" (College). Maybe that's a clue.

Great find and puzzle, Harry!

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I recognize both of those faces, but can't place them. They look like they belong in a Disney flick, or a beach-party movie or something like that.

Harry

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Whilst checking Play.com's DVD pre-order section last week I spotted a listing for the third and fourth seasons of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. The release date info is below:

Season 3 - Monday 12th September, 2011

Season 4 - Monday 7th November, 2011.

Have checked Amazon.co.uk and they have the same UK release dates.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I just had to bring this old thread out tonight. We Voyage Fans had given up on the last 13 episode's and then Mr James Finn from Fpx gave us this post. VOYAGE is coming.....hang tight. I guess I want to say you just do not know. I do think that the days of TV on DVD for old tv series is over. We will never see these shows come out from the studios themselves. You will have to look to MPI Timeless Shout etc

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
If Mr. James Finn is reading this, I would like to ask him a bit of advice. Please get Fox together, and have the stop demanding outrageous prices just to license more episodes to any company that deals with them, and teach them how to improve their relations with them.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Mark Collins said:
I just had to bring this old thread out tonight. We Voyage Fans had given up on the last 13 episode's.
I never gave up on it. Not once. As long as Fox never said they were stopping, all I needed was patience. And I've got buckets of patience. Now we've got 'em and there ya go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks