What's new

Volume different for each source (1 Viewer)

Brian Ralph

Stunt Coordinator
My receiver has two optical and two coax audio inputs. My cd player and HD receiver use the coax via an optical - coax converter from Parts Express. My dvd player and DirecTv/TIVO use the optical.

Each source seems to have wildly different volume requirements. The most glaring is HD or DVD to TIVO. Normal listening volume on TIVO is -45 to -50, but for HD and DVD I have to turn it up to -30 or so to get to the same "normal" listening volume. The CD player is about the same as DVD and HD. I guess the only one that seems to be way off is the TIVO.

Is there a reasonable explantion, or even better, a solution to get them all to approximately the same levels?

Equipment:

Receiver: Harmon Kardon AVR500
DVD player: Panasonic RP62
HD receiver: RCA DTC100
DirecTV/TIVO: Sony T-60

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
My receiver (Integra 6.2) has a setting called "Intellivolume" that allows me to preset an adjustment to the volume of each source. You might want to have a look in your manual for something equivalent. Good luck.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Brian, what you're describing is perfectly normal. Each source outputs at different amplitude levels and, therefore, your receiver/system plays them back at different levels.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
On the same note, I have a dual LNB dish with a sattelite receiver upstairs and one downstairs. The upstairs receiver is one of the original RCA's and the one downstairs is one of the original Sony's. The only choice for audio on both is analog. I've noticed that when listening to the sattelite
music channels upstairs , I have to turn the volume up to around -10 to -15db and downstairs the normal -20 to -25db is all that's needed. Are the two different sattelite receivers outputing the audio at different levels then, as Jack describes above?

Darryl

Stunt Coordinator
A lot of receivers let you adjust the volume of each channel for each input. Just adjust the volume for each channel while listening to the oddball input. If the volume is too terribly different, you may have to adjust the volume down for each channel for TIVO, and up for each channel for every other input.

Brian Ralph

Stunt Coordinator
My receiver (Integra 6.2) has a setting called "Intellivolume" that allows me to preset an adjustment to the volume of each source. You might want to have a look in your manual for something equivalent. Good luck.
Looks like my HK 500 can do this too. I'll give it a try.

Brian Ralph

Stunt Coordinator
Turns out my receiver cannot preset the volume for each source. I can just preset the volume for when the unit is turned on.

I also don't see anywhere in the TIVO T-60 to set volume for channels.

Looks like I'll just have to deal with it.

Thanks everyone!

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Now that I have everything going through my HK 500, video and audio, I utilize the osd (ON SCREEN DISPLAY) to set the speaker volumes for each device. I was running the DVD player through "COAX 1" but through Video 1. But when I selected DVD on the HK and "COAX 1", the speaker setting were all set to 0 including the sub. Once I set each speaker volume to match Video 1 Coax 1 that did the trick. I was now getting the same volume when I selected DVD Coax 1 as well as Video 1 Coax 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks