What's new

Voltron TV series - Will it ever be released in R1? (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if Amazon will have the tin??? I have it on preorder. I am not that close to a Best Buy.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
I cannot imagine that Media Blasters would fail to supply the stores that have taken pre-orders for the tin. Amazon, being the largest purely online store would be the last one that MB would want to let down by failing to supply them.

The article above states that they are working to make more. I don't think that there was ever any announcement that there would be a specific limited number of them.

I'm sure that MB will be aware of just how many units they need to fulfill outstanding preorders; they will have got feedback from the stores.

Demis G

Second Unit
Real Name
Demetris G

Well I had another look at Amazon today and noticed a difference between Volume 1 and Volume 2 titles.. Volume 2 has something extra on the title " (3pc) and Volume 1 doesn't....

I am really really confused! :crazy: :crazy: :frowning:

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit
That just means "3 piece" ie 3 discs.

I don't think it means anything that the listings are different; they were probably keyed in by different people. Same way that some titles show "Dr Who" and others "Doctor Who" for the DVD's of that show.

AFAIK if the set has the $39.99 RRP tag, then it's the collector tin edition.

And I think that only WalMart have the slipcase one anyway.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Then, Walmart did get the release with the standard packaging but they should have charged lower than the $22.99 price then that Best Buy was selling it for.

Richard_Gregory

Second Unit

Exactly; the RRP for the slipcase is $10 lower than it is for the tin.

I know what I thought when I saw what WalMart were doing, and I bet that most of you are thinking the same sort of thoughts!

It makes you wonder how many casual buyers will be paying the same price in WalMart for an inferior set.

I bet that the slipcase price drops when the tin comes out in WM, either that or their tin will cost more than every other store.

Fortunately, the net is a wonderful thing, so most Voltron lovers will have avoided this.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Well, if my local Best Buy still has a copy left I may purchase one and hold a giveaway raffle on my anime website ... ehehe ...

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
and in the extras you find out why Voltron can get such a superb sound mix. They were the first TV show to record in stereo and no one knew what to do except to follow music industry standards--Voltron used 24 track two inch tape. Everything was isolated and separated and after they'd restored the tape they had every sound element just waiting to be repositioned for 5.1.

Demis G

Second Unit
Real Name
Demetris G
All of you who pre-ordered from Amazon.com prepare to be surprised!

Amazon is shipping these babies tomorrow!
All of us who pre-ordered will notice that the money have just been taken from the card you have spesified (or any other payment method/funding source).

This thing always happens when Amazon prepares the item for shipment and the item gets shipped the day after or sooner! Amazon collects the money and then prepares the item and ships it!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...086468?ie=UTF8

Demis G

Second Unit
Real Name
Demetris G
I apologise for the back to back posting but this has to be noticed:

As I reported yesterday, here is Amazon's confirmation!

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Been taking a look at the set. Great remastering job. Looking at how the show originally looked (based on clips in the extras and the pilot), it's funny how much shows got away with in terms of crappy 16mm dupes in those days. I don't think that kind of print quality would be considered airable today.

The content of the two featurettes was interesting. The pieces themselves were not well produced, however.

It was strange that after mentioning that they'd intended to dub only Dairugger XV at first, but then decided upon GoLion, that they never mention the other iteration of Voltron again. Or touch upon the third abandoned aspect. Saving those stories for the Vehicle Team sets, I suppose.

Peter Keefe is a bit theatrical and hyperbolic in his storytelling. He'd have you believe Voltron was the first stereo program ever, based on animation that was among "the precursors of the predecessors of anime" (as opposed to anime itself), and the first show to be imported and repurposed with new writing and soundtracks for American release.

Funny how Mark Handler describes how the anime market now thinks it's cool for Japanese cultural aspects of these shows to be left in--when, actually, fans have always wanted this stuff to be left alone, and it took another decade or more for the industry to get the message.

It also strikes me that while they did indeed need to edit to satisfy Standards and Practices, they were doing it themselves and I think probably played it a lot more safe than they needed to. That tends to happen with self-censorship.

In the rebuilding of the show open, they have left out the rather anachronistic (if accurate) and cheesy "IN STEREO" super across the screen. For historical and nostalgic purposes, I kinda miss seeing that.

It must've been a fun challenge to replicate those cheesy old DV effects (like the floating boxes of the characters) with modern non-linear editing systems.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Is Peter Keefe the guy with the terrifying moustache? I didn't believe a single word he said, unless he was complimenting himself, repeatedly. I'm sure he sincerely meant every piece of praise he lauded upon himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks