What's new

Vivendi and RHI Press Release: Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection (1 Viewer)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Patrick Mason said:
Thanks Tony! Unfortunately, these are purchased through the iTunes Store, and thus are locked with DRM. Only iTunes or Apple iOS/Apple TV devices are permitted for playback, which do not offer aspect ratio controls.

As Hog Wild was filmed in an unusual aspect ratio due to being an early sound film, I do understand why the encoding mistake was easy to make in the first place. I do wish it could have been caught and corrected before release, or in this case, years after the disc release when releasing to digital platforms. Still nice to have the majority of these available in nice HD presentations.
Hi Patrick!

That's too bad! The very existence of these HD presentations are due to the foresight of Richard W. Bann & Company having created HD Digital Transfers so that the LAUREL & HARDY: THE ESSENTIAL COLLECTION could be later issued to Blu-Ray. Unfortunately, due to priorities of the current North American Rights Holders (Sonar Entertainment), this appears rather unlikely!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
rmw650 said:
Classicflix just reported there is going to be a new Blu-Ray DVD for Flying Deuces coming out in May and for the final A&C film called Dance with me, Henry in mid-April...details here and here...

http://classicflix.com/VCI-The-Flying-Deuces-Debuts-on-BluRay-in-May-an-31203.html

http://classicflix.com/OLIVE-Dance-With-Me-Henry-Debuts-on-Blu-in-April-an-31202.html
Hi Richard!

Thank you very much for kindly providing these links!

Regarding THE FLYING DEUCES Blu-Ray by VCI, the Legend Films reference has me worried that this will derive from the same heavily edited print that's on Legend's 2012 THE FLYING DEUCES IN COLOR (The Shark Free Edition, as I refer to it!) DVD. That would just be horrid!

I find it curious that SONS OF THE DESERT is one of the two Bonus Features listed! Assuming that this isn't some sort of featurette about the World Wide Laurel & Hardy organization or a Trailer of the Film (Which, based on the slightly sketchy description, it very well could be either!), it'll be interesting to see whether North America will finally have a better SOTD print for Home Video!

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Movie Maven said:
having not seen it...I would bet its a short item on the Sons of The Desert org.
Hi Ed!

I tend to think the same thing, especially given Home Video Release rights issues for SONS OF THE DESERT and the bulk of the Hal Roach Film Library. What annoys me a bit, is that it's very easy for potential buyers to misunderstand and think that maybe it IS the Feature Film! I mean, how much trouble would it have been to clarify just what it contains (IE. Trailer, or About The Organization.) in parentheses? In my opinion, this kind of incomplete labeling is careless at best. I just hope that its more clearly spelled out on the packaging!

Tony

Movie Maven

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
ed
you have to know that VCI usually deals in public domain titles unless it's A CHRISTMAS CAROL(1951) which they release almost every year in some sort of new version. so I wouldn't hold out hope. Btw, if memory serves me(correct me if I'm wrong,havent watched it since i got it) SOTD looked ok to me,RHI release even put in MGM logo which wasn't seen in years.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Movie Maven said:
you have to know that VCI usually deals in public domain titles unless it's A CHRISTMAS CAROL(1951) which they release almost every year in some sort of new version. so I wouldn't hold out hope. Btw, if memory serves me(correct me if I'm wrong,havent watched it since i got it) SOTD looked ok to me,RHI release even put in MGM logo which wasn't seen in years.
Hi Ed!

I believe that you are quite likely right regarding VCI, A CHRISTMAS CAROL, notwithstanding. However, regarding the version of SONS OF THE DESERT that's on LAUREL & HARDY: THE ESSENTIAL COLLECTION, I respectfully disagree. In my opinion, the contrast is way off (Much too low!) for much of the Film! This is too bad, as this is otherwise, a marvelous collection and I cannot recommend it highly enough!

Tony

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
While cleaning out a few drawers I ran across this. It's the Loew's State Theatre in New Orleans, LA and is dated December 1936

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 65

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Movie Maven said:

This is not at all true. VCI has many, many releases of copyrighted films and owns the exclusive rights to releasing them in the U.S. VCI has released public domain titles, but they have never been strictly a PD manufacturer like Alpha and Mill Creek.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Professor Echo said:
This is not at all true. VCI has many, many releases of copyrighted films and owns the exclusive rights to releasing them in the U.S. VCI has released public domain titles, but they have never been strictly a PD manufacturer like Alpha and Mill Creek.
Hi Glen!

It has actually been at least some time since Mill Creek Entertainment could be considered strictly Public Domain, as they now sub-license certain Titles from Sony, including several of the Three Stooges Features; and they also sub-licensed THE HOWDY DOODY 40 EPISODE SET through NBC Universal back in 2008!

Tony

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Tony Bensley said:
Hi Glen!

It has actually been at least some time since Mill Creek Entertainment could be considered strictly Public Domain, as they now sub-license certain Titles from Sony, including several of the Three Stooges Features; and they also sub-licensed THE HOWDY DOODY 40 EPISODE SET through NBC Universal back in 2008!

Tony
Very true, Tony, although you must admit that Mill Creek was a minor player until their deal with Sony. Alpha too has also licensed some independent films and released them exclusively. So you're right, I should have qualified my statement more, but my point that VCI is not nor has it ever been just a purveyor of public domain titles is still valid. It's unfair to dismiss them as such.

I'm a big fan of the Mill Creek/Sony partnership and would love to see them have access to more titles. Eagerly awaiting reviews on the forthcoming Blus of THE WILD ONE and THE LADY FROM SHANGHAI.

Essanay Paul

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I have an advanced Blu-ray check disc of the VCI FLYING DEUCES. I am in the process of reviewing it.

1) It is nothing like the Legend release.

a) TRT is 108:54

b) It has the original RKO beeping tower logo and titles, as well as end credits never on U.S. DVD before. It is mastered from 35mm, but I think the faces look a little light at times. While it looks nice, and is the best U.S. presentation to date, it lacks the crispness of restored classics from major studios.

c) The audio is crisp and clear as if it was recorded yesterday.

2) The Bonus material is more than reported on other sites,

a) This Is Your Life with Laurel & Hardy (29:31) **Remastered from a 35mm Kinescope! This is the sharpest I have ever seen this show outside of the official DVD release!

b) Foreign trailer for Sons of the Desert called "Hijos Del Desierto" (2:32)

c) The Paperhanger's Helper - an Oliver Hardy solo film. (8:52) this is the Castle Films 16mm home movie release with the Em Gee rental library logo.

d) an extract from Lucky Dog (16:49) - the famous Stan Laurel comedy in which Oliver Hardy makes an appearance holding Stan up on the street.

To be honest, this presentation of Lucky Dog is a waste, it is incomplete and has compression artifacting.

Just a FYI, the Kino DVD, which was the best U.S. release to date clocked in at 106:02 and had the Astor Pictures re-release titles. Doing a side-by-side comparison of the two discs shows that the Kino version runs faster! The Kino voices are pitched higher. These are all signs that Kino used a PAL 25 frames per second European transfer! VCI has created their own transfer in the original 24 frames per second as it was seen in the theaters.

The exposure is the same on both presentations, but the Kino DVD has some negative scratches.
The Kino release looks a little sharper, this was done in post-op as it has a video look. VCI is more truer to the original film. And the voices on the VCI transfer sound natural.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Essanay Paul said:
I have an advanced Blu-ray check disc of the VCI FLYING DEUCES. I am in the process of reviewing it.

1) It is nothing like the Legend release.

a) TRT is 108:54

b) It has the original RKO beeping tower logo and titles, as well as end credits never on U.S. DVD before. It is mastered from 35mm, but I think the faces look a little light at times. While it looks nice, and is the best U.S. presentation to date, it lacks the crispness of restored classics from major studios.

c) The audio is crisp and clear as if it was recorded yesterday.

2) The Bonus material is more than reported on other sites,

a) This Is Your Life with Laurel & Hardy (29:31) **Remastered from a 35mm Kinescope! This is the sharpest I have ever seen this show outside of the official DVD release!

b) Foreign trailer for Sons of the Desert called "Hijos Del Desierto" (2:32)

c) The Paperhanger's Helper - an Oliver Hardy solo film. (8:52) this is the Castle Films 16mm home movie release with the Em Gee rental library logo.

d) an extract from Lucky Dog (16:49) - the famous Stan Laurel comedy in which Oliver Hardy makes an appearance holding Stan up on the street.

To be honest, this presentation of Lucky Dog is a waste, it is incomplete and has compression artifacting.

Just a FYI, the Kino DVD, which was the best U.S. release to date clocked in at 106:02 and had the Astor Pictures re-release titles. Doing a side-by-side comparison of the two discs shows that the Kino version runs faster! The Kino voices are pitched higher. These are all signs that Kino used a PAL 25 frames per second European transfer! VCI has created their own transfer in the original 24 frames per second as it was seen in the theaters.

The exposure is the same on both presentations, but the Kino DVD has some negative scratches.
The Kino release looks a little sharper, this was done in post-op as it has a video look. VCI is more truer to the original film. And the voices on the VCI transfer sound natural.
Hi Paul!

I've been posting about this marvelous news all over the place, including the comment section below your Amazon Review!

While I never thought that I'd do another pre-order for THE FLYING DEUCES after the Legend Films Fiasco of 2012, I've taken the plunge for this at Canadian Amazon, as I'll take your technical reviews to the bank any day of the week!

Tony

Essanay Paul

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
I forgot to mention that VCI's master 35mm film is in PRISTINE condition! It is nice to know that the original RKO elements have survived and can now be seen again.

Jeff Joseph of Sabucat Productions produced this release for VCI.

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
To be honest I have the German "Flying Deuces" bluray and even that is not perfect -- there is a Region B release also in the pipeline, they say, sourced from the best prints in the world, but I have a feeling it will be very contrast-y like the others.

Speaking of the Sons of the Desert, it will be their 50th Anniversary on May 14 this year, the first meeting ("the first conclave" as they put it) held at The Three Lions Pub at the Hotel Tudor in New York.

Two of the founders of the Sons of the Desert, actors Orson Bean and Chuck McCann, are still in circulation -- it would be wise of the rights holders of the movies (who or whatever they are these days) and interview these giants among men for posterity -- and perhaps it might be the basis for a great documentary in years to come on the Sons and L&H and how they have kept the Boys work relevant in 2015 despite the best efforts of rights holders to destroy their legacy through both criminal neglect and/or holding out for the best deal (not all, but certainly some....)

Essanay Paul

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
That "region B release" is from NETWORK ON AIR, their website indicates it will be region A,B,C. But when I e-mailed them they gave me a reply stating that the release will be PAL and I would be unable to play it in the U.S.

Imagine that, they think Blu-ray has PAL format. I got no further reply when I informed them that PAL is not a HD format.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Essanay Paul said:
That "region B release" is from NETWORK ON AIR, their website indicates it will be region A,B,C. But when I e-mailed them they gave me a reply stating that the release will be PAL and I would be unable to play it in the U.S.

Imagine that, they think Blu-ray has PAL format. I got no further reply when I informed them that PAL is not a HD format.
Hi Paul!

Somehow, NETWORK ON AIR's complete ignorance regarding Formats raises Red Flags for me! It's one thing when such incorrect listings occur on Amazon, but in my opinion, any Home Video company worth their salt ought to know better!

Insofar as the upcoming North American Based VCI Entertainment Blu-Ray release of THE FLYING DEUCES, I'm right up there in the clouds with Stan & Babe! (Though not crashing with them, hopefully! ;) )

It's been a long time coming!

Tony

P.S. I thought you might like a link to the HTF Thread dedicated to the upcoming VCI Entertainment Release: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/338928-laurel-hardy-the-flying-deuces-blu-ray-available-for-preorder/

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
While for the time being, I also have THE FLYING DEUCES Network Blu-ray on Pre-Order, I do find it a bit frustrating that, unlike the soon to be Released VCI Edition, there's no advance technical review to date!

Regarding the latter, besides Paul Mular's justifiably glowing Technical Review for the VCI Entertainment Blu-ray Disc, there is an ultimately negative one by Gary Tooze for DVD Beaver. Ironically, the Screenshots included have served to reinforce my own positive take on this version!

Gary Tooze's THE FLYING DEUCES VCI Blu-ray Review: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film5/blu-ray_reviews_67/flying_deuces_blu-ray.htm

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Below are the Release dates for THE FLYING DEUCES' U.S. and UK Blu-rays:

U.S. Blu-ray by VCI Entertainment: May 19, 2015

UK Blu-ray by Network On Air: June 15, 2015

Essanay Paul

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul
Gary Tooze's main objection to anything from VCI is they use the old MPEG2 encoding (as opposed to AVC), which is not ideal for the sharpest Blu-ray releases.

Network does not give any official encoding information other than region ABC on their site, but other sites claim it will be AVC (but those also say only region B).

I have not been able to secure a pre-view copy because I am in the U.S.A. and not their target customer. They are marketing in the U.K..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks