What's new

Directors VISIONS OF LIGHT tourney! (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
And you call me cranky? Sheesh!! :P

BTW, I could probably grab some Sunrise shots if you give me the times of them.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Well I thought that since Taxi Driver will win with this crowd anyway I'll save some of the other shots for round two and in this instance focus on how much women change photographically depending on the mental state of Travis Bickle when he looks at them.

I did consider making the ET selections just silhoettes since it's a huge part of the film's thematic and cinematographic palatte, but I figured that'd be selling a film that wasn't going to win anyway pretty short.

ET. I love those shots, especially the one looking at Elliot out the window as he turns on the hot water to wash the dishes, probably my single favorite shot from the movie.

my vote would be for ET, and Allen Daviau's damn near perfect evocation of childhood, it's visual poetry, imo it ranks as amongst the very best films, photographically, I've ever seen on the big screen. It's like Robert Adams, perhaps a bit constructed, but a sense of beauty that really resonates with me. Taxi Driver is more akin to Cindy Sherman, I could take her or leave her, but its really not my thing, though very interesting.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Taxi Driver advances 5-2

ROUND 1, MATCH 5
Rebecca ----------------------------- vs ----------------------------- The Sweet Smell of Success
DP George Barnes --------------------------------------------- DP James Wong Howe

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Rebecca advances 5 - 3

sorry about the dely, it's a combination of graduation, problems with my ftp and not having enough pictures to do a full five picture spread on each of the films, if I'd not fallen behind on capturing I'd have gotten about 50 of the films in the tourney, as it was, I got about 28. The rest I pulled off of the visions of light DVd. so I'll probably be switching to just one or maybe two images per matchup after today.
Taxi Driver advances 5-2

ROUND 1, MATCH 6
Annie Hall ----------------------------- vs ----------------------------- The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
DP Gordon Willis --------------------------------------------- DP Willie Hameister

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Nice shots of Annie Hall. I've never really thought of it as having "great" cinematography. Looks like I need to pay better attention.

You've convinced me. Plus Caligari is child's play compared to Murnau and it's camerawork a bit clunky next to Evgenii Bauer.

Annie Hall

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks