What's new

Directors VISIONS OF LIGHT tourney! (1 Viewer)

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Citizen Kane.

I guess I didn't need to join in at this point and add to CK's total, but it's such a beautiful picture to watch. I didn't quite get into the story the first time (I've since "got it" a great deal more), but there was no denying the great use of light.

Great idea Adam...Visions Of Light is one of my all-time favourite docs. And yeah, I found the thread because of your sig.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Since it's getting its butt kicked I'll vote for DO THE RIGHT THING. :)

CK is the clear winner here but DTRT just had the bad luck of getting paired up with it. Having just watched the Lee film last week, the visual style and cinematography really brought out that "hot summer day".

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Citizen Kane advances 8-1

Someone had to go up against CK in the first round.

screengrabbing CK was virtually impossible, I stopped myself two minutes in because I already had like ten or twenty. so I started looking for unconventional moments like the last one I picked, which is probably my favorite of all of Orson Welles' scenes as Kane (there is something magnetic that comes off him from a film print of CK that the cap and DVD doesn't do justice to, a sort of radiant emmanence and charisma seeping off the celluloid in that particular scene and performance.

On the other hand, the Ice shot from Do the Right Thing may be my favorite singular shot for this tourney, because its so gratuitous. :)

I'm trying to pick a 'money' shot for the sidebyside (and sig) while offering a range from the film in the other four shots.

I'm up working on a paper right now, and I have a final later today in another class so I won't be posting a new matchup today. I have grabs from about 12 movies, but alas none that are facing up against each other because I didn't get all the ones I wanted to get this weekend.

And where's the fun of telling you the matchup if there's no screengrabs to go with it. That's half the point of this particular tourney, imo.

Glad you found the tourney Bob, I was hoping an eye catching sig would attract people.
Adam

ROUND 1, MATCH 3
Adventures of Robin Hood --------------- vs --------------- She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
DP Tony Gaudio & Sol Polito --------------------------------------------- DP Winton Hoch

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The Adventures of Robin Hood

Adam,

You've got the same problem as me. When you post after yourself with no intervening post by someone else, this "doublepost automerge" treats it like an edit, and no one can tell that you've updated the thread.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
yeah I noticed that last night and made some other posts in the hope that folks would see the new sig and someone would jump in the thread anyway and bump it to the top of the forum.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I'll break the tie for She Wore a Yellow Ribbon,

the next match will be up before morning, but I'm far too busy to get it just now.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I apologize for the delay, my internet connection at home has been on the fritz plus many other things eating into my time. I have many prepared to go up, it's just a matter of getting it to work.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hey, wait a minute. Isn't this Adam_S one of those bozos who has a history of starting tourneys and then just dropping them when they don't want to do the work anymore?

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
ROUND 1, MATCH 4
Taxi Driver ----------------------------- vs ----------------------------- E.T. The Extra Terrestrial
DP Michael Chapman --------------------------------------------- DP Allen Daviau

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
so I missed a few days, I'm graduating, its finals season I'm averaging fifteen hours a day of work (actual work, doesn't include studying or working on take home final I have left) I go to sleep at three am wake up at 8 to go to work again for another fifteen hours. It takes about fifteen minutes to shrink down and upload the shots for the day and create a new post, I've about sixteen films on my computer now, planning on getting the rest this week and weekend and whatever isn't on dvd will come off the Visions of Light dvd.

John's just cranky cause he likes getting his pretty pictures, believe me I'd much rather be on match 10 by now, but I do enjoy getting sleep and grabbing captures (if POwerDVD doesn't freeze, like it did when I was capturing ET and CK (which is why they cut off earlier in the screencaps)) takes about thirty minutes per film, more if I've not seen it.

And for some reason my computer won't recognize my Sunrise DVD, frustrating, or that would have been part of match 3 instead (against another opponent, which I also want to get up soon).

And this is my third tourney and I finished the other two, I'll finish this one too.

in the meantime, enjoy the first matchup of two anamorphic transfers. :)

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks