1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

VILLA RIDES!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Charles H, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Charles H

Charles H Well-Known Member

Movies Unlimited is listing 6/3 as a release date for VILLA RIDES! (Mitchum, Brynner, script by Peckinpah and Robert Towne). I don't see anything similar--and it's listed under "Historical and War"-- but could this be a harbinger of a WB Western Collection?

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I think Charles Bronson is also in that film.

3. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Well-Known Member

It was a Paramount film..so......given Paramount's appalling track record and disdain for releasing classic catalog titles....it won't be from them. My guess its now a public domain title.

4. KamyarB

KamyarB Active Member

Man I hope so... i have been waiting to see this film again for many years! I can't wait if this is true!

Kamyar

5. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Well-Known Member

Really... from Paramount?!?
    No offense but I'll believe it when I see it!

6. walter o

walter o Well-Known Member

probably Jef/Substance/teleista, since Paramount did nothing to stop their bootleg WHITE DOG release! (and that has a valid copyright!)

7. Bob Engleman

Bob Engleman Well-Known Member

I'm now 65, and my memory may be faulting on the below, but this is what I recall; any corrections will be gladly appreciated.

In the early 80s, Paramount leased 3 western/action titles to Kartes Communication:

Pony Express

Buccaneers

Villa Rides!

After the expiration of the agreement, the studio released the first 2 on VHS, but Villa Rides! was neglected, much to my disappointment, as there's an annoying flash in several scene changes. I'm certainly a buyer of the above, should they be released on DVD.

In addition, The Last Outpost(Cavalry Charge) was farmed out by Paramount to Ivy Video, who released a terrible VHS, followed some years later by a worse DVD.

Bob Engleman

8. Charles H

Charles H Well-Known Member

What were the other films in the Kartes/Paramount deal? I seem to remember OFF LIMITS and DEAR WIFE.

9. Bob Engleman

Bob Engleman Well-Known Member

Charles,

The only Kartes titles I own are the aforementioned 3, and Universal's "Against All Flags"; I'm not familiar with those you've stated.

Bob Engleman

10. Robin9

Robin9 Well-Known Member

Robin
    I watched that DVD this week. It's not a good DVD unfortunately but it is at least watchable.
    I enjoyed Villa Rides more than I expected and more than I did when it first came out. According to various posters on IMDB, Yul Brynner got Sam Peckinpah fired and had the screenplay re-written to suit his own personality. Does anyone here know the truth or otherwise in that story?