What's new

Videocard problem (1 Viewer)

Beefmaster

Auditioning
Real Name
Wolf
Hi,
I just had a GeforceGTX295 videocard installed in my computer, the problem is that the card has 1792mb of memory but wherever I check how much memory it has, in either the Device manager or the Nvidia Desktop manager, it gives the cards memory as 896mb.
The card has 2 GPU's and may be splitting the memory between the2 GPU's, but since I have the card set to run both GPU's together, I would expect the card to show that its got the full 1792mb of memory, not half, or half per GPU.
Previosly I was running 2 cards in SLi and even though they had seperate memory for each card, it still showed the memory as the one number with both cards memory added together.
Can Anyone with this card explain why it only shows half the advertised memory, and if its actually only running on the 896mb or is it actually getting the full 1792mb to use at any one time.
thanks for any help,
I could really do with it.

Gerald LaFrance

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerald LaFrance
Hi, Are you using windows XP?? If so how much System memory do you have?? Have you tried using GPU-Z you can get from Guru3d.com??

Jasonp31

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
What you are seeing is perfectly normal. The framebuffer only see 896 MB of RAM at a time. Google a program called GPU-z, and run it. It will show you the full amount of RAM. Anyone else that has a 295 will see the same thing you are. :)

Beefmaster

Auditioning
Real Name
Wolf
Thanks for the answers guys, I downloaded GPU-z and ran it, but it still says I have only got 896mb memory size.
I dont know if it means per GPU, but nowhere on the screen does it mention that I have 1792mb of GDDR3 memory, I dont know why?
thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks