What's new

Video through A/V receiver (1 Viewer)

NicolasC

Grip
Hi!

Do any of you pass your video signals through your A/V receiver and what are the pros and cons in doing so?

Thank you! :confused:

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
It is always best to run your video directly to your tv. But I like to use my receiver as a multi-switch and use it to control all of my sources. I have my DVD, VCR, and Cable box going through the receiver. If you have HD, then I would suggest running that directly to the tv, but if you don't, try it out and see if you see any degrade in the picture quality and let your eyes be the judge.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
This is mentioned in the FAQ AND PRIMER:

Why receivers have video ins and outs by Neil Joseph

Options for Routing Audio & Video by Ted Lee

This might help you get some additional insight and perspective into the options available.

NicolasC

Grip
Thank you Vince! I look for it but couldn't find it. I must've been lookng with my eyes closed!

Nicolas

michael*b

Auditioning
VInce,

Really great info, I was reading some of it yesterday!

I am installing a new 5.1 system. I have a Sony STR DA3000ES Receiver, Sony 2200ES SACD Changer and the DVP725 DVD player.

My room (and wife) requires in-wall speakers for fronts and in ceiling for rear. The center will be inside our new custom entertainment center (EC) as will the sub on the floor of the EC (no bottom in cabinet, will sit on actual floor) in the lower right.

We will be watching DVD's and listening to music about 60/40.

I am considering the B&W CWM650 (6.5) for the fronts and the CCM65 (6.5) for the surrounds. The center will be the LCR60S3 and the Sub the ASW600.

I really like the center and sub but not quite sure on the fronts. The ceilings sounded better to me.

Do I need to put foam or insulation behind the speakers?

Will any OFC 12-14 ga. work? I'm not a brand name type and really don't want to pay for a company's ad budget.

Which sub, component, composite (VHS) cables and Digital Coax cables do you like? Are the Blue Jeans Cables advertised on this site good?

Advice and recommendations are appreciated!

Michael

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Michael,

These questions might be better broekn up and posted in each appropriate area (speakers, av/source, etc)-- you'll likely get more accurate and direct answers.

Blue Jeans are excellent- specifically they use broadcast supply parts from Canare and Belden and they have well regarded customer service. There are a few other outlets for buying canare/belden based cabling (the same stuff Blue jeans sells) - like buying from private builders or on Ebay, but if you're looking for a conventional online store- then you really can't beat Blue jeans for bang for the buck and well regarded customer service.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks