What's new

Video Projector Project? (1 Viewer)

Vince_D

Auditioning
I'm not sure if this question is out of the scope of this forum, but does anyone know if there are any DIY Video Projector Projects out there? LCD panel technology is the that expensive any more, and I have a few source for them.
Can anyone tell me if this is possible?
Thanks

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Vince, welcome to the forum! :)
That would be quite a kit if available. Video projectors, while apparently "just" a light source, LCD panels and a lens, are unbelievably complicated, sophisticated assemblies optically, mechanically and electronically. Buying the components, if they were available to an individual, would be financially analagous to buying the parts to build a car yourself. A new or used commercial unit would be less expensive. If you like to D-I-Y, building your own speakers can result in better sound quality than many commercial models for far less money. A truly worthwhile and rewarding endeavor. :)

Vince_D

Auditioning
Hi guys,
Thanks for getting back to me. I guess it is possible. Sounds like atleast one person has done it. If he gets back to me, I may be the second????
I have been building speakers and amps for the past 11 years for myself and others. Not that I'm bored, I just think this would be an excellent project to keep making better and better as the resource for it become more available.
If I pull it off, the H.T.F will be the first to know!
Thanks!
Vince Di Nenna

Brett Robert

Agent
Your a brave man. I am afraid because I have to pull my Mitsu apart to get the dust particals of off one of the lenses.
------------------
~~~~~~~Brett~~~~~~~~~
Champagne tastes with a beer budget
My HT

Vince_D

Auditioning
Eric,
I don't remember replying to your post originally, but I have made progress w/ this project. I have all parts on order. I am using an unusual light source. 48 ultra bright white light LEDs. Each pushing 5.6 Candlas. These are made by one of the leaders in white light LED technology- Nichia. These have not been availible until recently. They usually go for about $8.00 each, but I got them from a guy who bought them in bulk. I paid $1.50 for 50. I'm using one 5.6" TFT LCD color module and of course a 3" variable focal lenght projector lense. I will probably use a set of condenser lenses; I haven't purchased these yet. Total for parts so far is just under $250.
Because the LEDs put out little heat, there is no need to use cold and/ or dichrotic mirrors, which absorb the heat of say halogen or metal halide lamps and pass RGB colors, respectively. I can power the LEDs w/ a 12 volt source at under 500mA!
Granted, this won't be the brightest or the best quality in video reproduction, but I hope to use it in a darken room environment with a bright screen.
If this light source works. The LED life is 90,000+ hours. That's 11 years straight!
Hope this is some interest to some of you. I have been posting on www.diyaudio.com in their 'General' posting area. Once I complete this, I will put the project on my web site, accessible from DIYaudio.com.
Vince

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks