What's new

Video Business: Blu-ray Software Sales Increasing (1 Viewer)

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
I find that incredibly hard to believe since there were at least 2 themes that emerged from the initial launch of the PS3.

1. surveys of patrons waiting in line the night before they went on sale; the greatest majority by far bought the players either to resell on ebay, or for gaming
2. many markets..including mine (the most competitive and concentrated consumer electronics market in North America,) reported little BD disk sales in conjunction with the PS3.

However, since BD sales have lagged far behind HD anyways..almost any bump could be construed to be significant. I suspect the Toshiba offer in november will likewise see a huge boost for HD, along with the numbers for the 360 add on.

I am sure we will cntinue to see these market plugs by many in the various industry mags, media and other 'backers' for some time.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
I'm sure we'll see lots of posturing by both sides to try to persuade others that their format is doing better. Until we see some real hard numbers following the shopping season I'm going to be skeptical of any articles claiming to have an inside view.

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman

Thank you I couldn't have said it any better. We have heard this before. I want hard numbers and not conjecture.

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe

So you feel the CEO of Time Warner doesn't really have an inside view of the situation?

AaronSCH

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron Schneiderman
Well Robert, I totally agree with him in this instance but lets be honest, he isn't really dealing with numbers here is he? - Dick Parsons, the CEO of Time Warner Inc.

Ryan-G

Supporting Actor
I'm having some problems here with this.

We know less than 200,000 PS3 units were sold. So if BR sales were twice as high following PS3's release, what's that say about BR sales in the first place? If 200,000 PS3's some significant percentage of which won't be used as a Player, actually doubled sales, how low were they to start out with? Especially since BR is present in Europe and PS3 is not.

I mean honestly, if that few units were able to double sales, even missing one vast region of the market, that says to me that BR isn't selling any significant number of units at all in either software or standalone players.

That says to me that BR has a serious problem.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

This is not born out by the amazon numbers, which currently show the same ratio (3 to 1) of HD to BD sales, and show the BD disk sales at the same level they were before. While I know that this does not show the quantity of disks sales, only their ratios, but the BD disks have not climbed up in their rankings either, and that is based on numbers.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S

I feel that in a presentation at an investor conference he would not be a fully unbiased source given that Warner is currently supporting HD-DVD more heavily than BR. Give me hard numbers and not speculation and then I'll be interested. I know many here that would disagree with Mr. Parson's view that gamers aren't HD movie watchers.

LarryH

Supporting Actor

Not that this makes a whole lot of difference, but the units sold on eBay are not falling into a black hole. They will be be used as movie players to the same extent as the others, I would think.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks