1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Video "Blocks" or "Particles"

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by JasonHussey, Dec 22, 2003.

1. JasonHussey

JasonHussey Member

I think they problem that I am having is a fairly known issue, so hopefully you all get what I'm trying to say here. When I watch certain video sources, usually high quality, such as a DVD or HBO channels, I get what appears to be "digitized' blocks that screw up the image in the dark areas of the screen, most notably the red-brown areas. Any ideas on what causes this and what I can do to fix it? I'm using an XBOX as a DVD Player currently and just a 24 inch flat screen CRT Sony Television. Also, I am using a set of Monster components for Xbox hookup and S-Video for my digital cable.

j hussey

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Well-Known Member

The blocking artifacts are source-related issues. You appear to have "digital" cable, and there's not anything you can really do about the artifacting. As for the DVDs, are they dusty, scratched, and/or smudged? And is the player also a bit dusty? Clean the player, and feed it dust- and scratch-free discs only.

3. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Well-Known Member

Your problem may be a cable signal that is too weak. If you are using signal splitters try to take them out of the path, at least temporarily to see if this is the cause. You may want to call in your cable company to check that the signal strength at the house is adequate.

Only other fix is to buy a signal amplifier - just make sure that it is a high quality one made for digital cable signals. You might be able to talk your cable guy into giving you one, and installing it.

I know that all of the above fixes work because they have for me. No more pixelation.