What's new

VGA out to HDTV component? (1 Viewer)

Alex_Aqui

Auditioning
I have a GF3 ti500 which I want to hook up to my Sony Wega XBR450, which is an HDTV. It does not have a vga input however as the newer ones do. I'm trying to get as high a resolution as possible out of the TV for actually using the computer for purposes other than watching DVDs (I have a very good stand alone DVD player).

What I'm looking for is a device and the tools needed to go from the standard Vga out port on my video card to the component inputs on my tv? What do I need and where can I buy it? I understand that I need to run software called POwerstrip?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Nate Wh

Agent
Which port are you planning on using on your Gf3?.. DVI,Svid,VGA.. basically you'll need a breakout cable.. easies is through VGA Port. Don't think you can use a breakout for a DVI w/o a signal conversion since it's a Digital signal.. can find these breakout cables on ebay for relativly cheap.. good luck

Alex_Aqui

Auditioning
I thought I needed a 'transcoder, which converts the vga out or dvi output to component. So basically you are saying I don't need that, but just a dongle that converts the dvi to component and then use something such as powerstrip? ATi has a dongle that converts the DVI to component, but unfortunately this is a GF3. Sorry, but now I am totally confused.

My end goal is to run at 1080i.

Alex_Aqui

Auditioning
Thanks for the information. I found the same exact device from Key Digital through some digging around. Is there anything cheaper than that?

The Key Digital runs for around $199. I could basically replace my GF3 ti500 with a faster ATI 9500 pro and and get the ATI component dongle for that much money. Is that a better solution? I don't really need a fast 3d card for that system as my main system has a 9700 pro. I just don't like the idea of blowing $200 on a part that might not be much use in the future if more video cards start coming with an option for a cheap dongle (such as the ATI).

Nate Wh

Agent
I bet if you search around you can find a cheaper way of making a transcoder for way cheaper than that

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
I thought that the solution to this problem was "VGA Breakout Cable" as mentioned above. It runs about $30, has a VGA port on one end to plug into the PC, and 5 RCA plugs (R / G / B / Horiz Sync / Vert Sync) on the other end. Am I incorrect?

MichaelG

Second Unit
I believe that the VGA breakout cable is for connecting to a projector. They use the the two sync connections. I would be very surprised if that worked with component video.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm I thought we were talking about HDTV which uses the 5 cables I described, right? I was looking into a Princeton Graphics HDTV monitor a while back and I'm pretty sure that's what the inputs were. Isn't that why you need Power Strip software? To control the Horiz Sync and Vert Sync? I guess the $64,000 question is, "what inputs are on the tv in question" but I was under the impression HDTV always used the 5 plugs, and the 3 plug setup was for Standard Def component video. As always, I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks