What's new

Very Low Frequency Subwoofer (1 Viewer)

SubberBob

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob Robertson
I am looking for a subwoofer for a specific purpose for an experiment.

It needs to be able to reproduce (cleanly) a continuous 19Hz tone at a faily good level. 100Watts or higher RMS.

The problem is that frequency is below what I can hear. Presumably it is below what any of us can hear, so I can't simply listen to it and see if it's doing what it should be.

Given the experts on this forum, I thought that someone might be able to suggest a speaker that would be up for this task.

I don't care about ANY other specs for my purposes. Only that particular frequency.

Obviously, I would like to find the most cost-effective alternative that does the job well.

Thank you for your help.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Your best best would be to build one. Someone around here smarter than I could help you design a box that would be specifically tuned to be optimized for that frequency.

Outside of that, look at SVS. All of their box subs, except the SB12, can be tuned down below 19Hz. Then it would just be matter of talking to SVS to determine which could provide the SPL you need in your listening environment. They also have a cylinder sub, the 16-46, that can get to the frequency you need.

pink

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
roger walters

I would contact Bob owner of AB International. AB International Amps, I am sure he can help you. They use his equipment in marine testing, underwater frequencies I think down to 10 hz (not sure how much, but pretty close) . If you E-mail him he will get back to you within a half hour or less, very good company. Besides that he is the owner he builds all the amps himself. He can help you for sure. I do own two of his 1100 watt amps to drive my 2 isobarik 15" vented Subs that WILL do structual damage that's for sure. They can hold a steady 15hz.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I built my current sub which is relatively flat from 100hz to 17hz. It is a pair a sealed, 15" subs that are very, very similar to these. It is powered by a Behringer EP-2500.

I am in the middle of building an infinite baffle sub with four 18" custom built drivers and the same amp. Based on reading other's experience I am hoping to be flat to about 12hz and still have usable output at 8hz.

19hz can be easy depending on the output that you want and the size of your room. If your room is the size of a closet and you want an 80db output then an 8" sub will get it. If you live in an arena and want 150db at 20hz, then your only choice is the Matterhorn. There are 10,000 different options in-between these two extremes.

-Robert

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
pink said:
Thank you but all of the credit goes to Thilo and crew at TC Sounds for creating such a monster of a driver. Mine are sort of an older version. A TC Sounds TC-3000 top assembly coupled with a Lightning Audio Storm motor structure. Based on the specs, it is really suited for a car audio install. I had to use extensive EQ to get a flat response. This sub isn't for the average user. I've only seen seen a handful of DIY home theater builds that use this driver. Mine are still installed in their ugly test boxes. I've been working on a design that will look like a JL Audio Gotham.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks