What's new

Very Loud Pop through Speakers when I turn power on my pre-amp (1 Viewer)

alomb1971

Grip
Real Name
Anthony
I have had these seperates for about 7 years and my pre amp has just starting popping extremly loud through my speaker,when I turn it on. Any ideas? It's a AMC and my amp is a ATI1505.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
It was a good preamp. Any who knew it said it was worth at least twice the price. It was only seven years old and we'd all hoped that it would live longer. We remember all that it had accomplished in its short life, but it was cut down in its prime by a monumental series of pops. So, with a tear, we commend the preamp to the Almighty's care. Silicon to silica. Metal to rust.

Amen.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Still, that is a pretty common occurrance. That is why so many power conditioners have staged switching. You turn on the pre and the conditioner waits 30 seconds to turn on the power amp. That way, it is not possible for the pop to get to the speakers, since the power amp isn't on yet.

BTW, are you posting under two different accounts? That kind of causes confusion.

alomb1971

Grip
Real Name
Anthony
JohnRice,

I had an account a few years ago, but I couldn't remember my information. I did start a new thread though on recommending pre-amps. Is that what you meant?

Anthony

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
Always turn on your power amp on last and off first, this would eliminate the problem. Probably just a transient but if loud enough could be bad for speakers.

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
Might be a relatively easy fix. Many preamps have a relay across the outputs that only engages once the unit stabilizes after turn on. Sounds like it may have gone bad. First it was stuck closed causing your popping. Now it sounds like it's failed in an open state. Does the preamp power up or is it completely dead?

-Dave

sounds like an electrolytic capacitor in the amp's power supply went bad.
If the amp is that good, see if there is a electronics repair shop nearby that could check it out for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks