What's new

VERY good JVC progressive scan @ BB, $113! (1 Viewer)

Skyler

Stunt Coordinator
I bought one of these new JVC's @BB today to compare with my RP-62S (sage equipped) today. The Panny lost my shootout. Both players ran me $89 open box. That is where the comparisons end. It's damn amazing to me how much player a $100 bill gets these days. This machine plays ALL the formats, has Zoom (icon lasts maybe 2 seconds), time remaining, coax AND toslink, nice remote, stylish, and a slick menu interface. It has all kinds of picture control, plays MP3's (displays filenames on-screen), MP3 Folders as well, & has a 3 step display dimmer. Heck, the drawer is lit up like blue neon (can be disabled). It cues up a DVD in 4 seconds! It also has the most smoking fast forward I've ever seen, like 60X! The best part is the picture. VERY NICE. Very "filmlike" & no chroma bug. I needed something for the bedroom, as I just got a 32" HD Sony VVega (32HS500). The Panny was not pleasing on my Sony tube. I have an RP-91K in my HT, hooked to a 55" Mits HDTV. It is nice and sharp. The RP82 I had was sharper & not as nice. The RP62 was as sharp as the 82, but a very entry level machine. For the money, this JVC is excellent. I can't say if it scales or not, as I'ts hooked to a 4:3. It's on sale @ BB this week for $113.
http://www.jvc.ca/en/consumer/produc...model=XV-N50BK
:emoji_thumbsup:

Josh Pounds

Stunt Coordinator
You're joking, right? Sure, the JVC does reasonably well with properly flagged film-based material...but the video 30fps deinterlacing is ATROCIOUS! I UPGRADED from a JVC to a lucky-find RP82. Never goin' back.

I had a JVC also, terrible if the DVD is not flagged properly (which most are not), I gave up on it after 6 months and started hunting for a new player equiped with the faroudja/sage chip....

Han

Second Unit
I watched Futurama on my new N50BK. Not that bad at all for video based material. I think the whole point of Skyler's remarks were that it's very good for that "under $120" price class... and it is. Better than the new Pannys without the Faroudja. This player is sort of the old 500 in the way it's positioned among the new JVC models, and how it lacks DVD-Audio, but it's also better than all the old JVCs in the speed department. It's a JVC, so there are no major surprises... above average menu system, flag reader, same limited amount of sharpness control, good aspect ratio control, no CUE. There are 6 levels of zoom, but only one of them is useable to me. The 1.8x, when I need to zoom into improperly flagged non-anamorphic widescreen material.

Pros: The usual positives for a mediamatics based player. In limited viewing, this player has been fast as hell from what I can tell. Not DVD-ROM based Denons and Apex fast for layer changes, but it brings back memories of the early generation Sonys. Disc resume is fast too. When I have time, I'll see how it deals with hellish layer changes that I can remember.

Cons: The usual negatives for a mediamatics based player. Still no memory mode for zooming like the Panasonic RP-91, so you have to manually zoom into improperly flagged non-anamorphic DVDs each time you play them. That tray is flimsy, though I think most trays are flimsy these days for under $400. The neon blue light that comes out of the tray is, dare I say, "ghetto" looking. Not only is it annoying when watching a movie in the dark, but trying to dim it also dims the LCD readout. It reminds me of car stereos and boom boxes that people try to show off thinking, just because my stereo has lots of flashing lights, it means I have a really good stereo.:rolleyes:I'm going to work on muting that light somehow, but like I said, that tray is flimsy, so I'd have to be careful not to mess it up.

The remote control is the usual crappy remote you get with any player, but who cares. I programmed the functions into my MX-500 and threw the JVC into my unused remote pile of ill-repute.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
So 1.8x zoom is the minimum zoom, aye? Sounds like still too much cropping then for letterboxed DVDs. Really wish they'd offer ~1.3x zoom to maintain proper OAR for letterboxed DVDs.

_Man_

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
My brother just got a JVC for christmas and his display is a Toshiba 60 inch rptv. It is horrible and the artifacts are bad as well. Some dvd's look just ok but grainy and other forget about it. I am trying to think of the model off the top of my head but I am not having any luck. The bottom of the face looks like a cheap mirror effect. I am betting the player goes south by this christas.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
I own two Panasonic RP 82's and their E30 DVD-R/RAM recorder and all thre have the DCDi chip. I just purchased a JVC pro scan player at SAM's for $79.00. I love the JVC's scaling of letterbox disc whether they are commercial quality or recorded off DirecTV. I am sorry I don't see a difference between any of the players when playing commercial or non-home recordings off DirecTV. The JVC offers a rock solid picture.

Don't get me wrong I am not politicing for JVC. Buy wantever suits your fancy. I like the RP 82's and I love the E30 DVD-R/RAM recorder. Those are great units. I just don't see a difference in picture quality on my two Toshiba HD TV's. Maybe there is a difference but I can't see it. I also can't find the chroma bug.

Friday I watched Helen Of Troy recorded onto a DVD-R after deleting all the commercials from a RAM and it looked great. I did the same with Napoleon and Children of Dune and all three look great.

AaronJB

Second Unit
I've put the JVC 723 to use for a couple of years now (retailed for $800 when it came out, got it for a little less than half) and I've been very pleased with it. It's too bad they discontinued it back in 2001.

MikeMcGrew

Stunt Coordinator
I have had the JVC XV-FA95GD for about a year now and I still can;t decide if I really like it or not. This player was priced in the early $400's when it came out (not at all what I paid for it) and I have to say that it is DEFINITELY not worth that kind of coin. I did, however manage to swindle a BB manager out of this unit open box with a pretty decent LCD learning remote and the 4 year service plan for $150 bucks. For that price, I can live with it for a little while. I still use the remote! Anyway, lots of stupid issues with only a handful of disks. For example, with the DVD "Spy Game", the captions keep coming on. Every chapter, they come on and I have to turn them off. It's really kind of wierd. Some other disk quirks too. This doesn't happen on any of my other players so I know it's the JVC. Also, I had a bad overheating problem even with the player in a very well venilated area. I had to take it in for service because of this. Screen kept breaking up into blocks/pixels and even stopping all together sometimes. They added a new fan and has been fine since. I'm not unhappy with PQ but again, I would probably be if I had paid $400.00 for it. I really like the zoom and speed of the player. The best part is the DVD-Audio, handles the music pretty nicely. Overall, I guess I would give this one a 7 out of ten. MM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks