What's new

very confused (1 Viewer)

docz300

Auditioning
Real Name
ken
Hello all. I have been trying for 2 days now to figure this out and I am totally confused. Here are the basics: Sony KDS-R60XBR2 TV DirecTV R20 HD receiver Sony BDV-E780W HTS XBox 360 & Wii As per the instructions, original connections from Directv receiver to Sony HTS made with HDMI. Sony HTS to Sony TV made with HDMI. Everything works except the directv receiver. No picture/no sound. I get about 1 second of image, then nothing. Sony manual states that front panel will display HDMI when correctly connected to an HDCP device. This lights up for a second, then goes out. After spending an hour on the phone with Directv and Sony tech support, Directv said it is a Sony issue, Sony said it is a Directv issue. Not sure what to try next. I haven't even tried the Xbox and wii hook up yet. One thing at a time. Thanks in advance.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
The most obvious question is: Have you gone into the setup menus of the DirecTv box, and set the output for video and audio for HDMI? Also make sure the audio output is set to Dolby Digital. I hope DirecTv went over this part with you. It's got to be a setting somewhere. Double check the audio output settings on page 62 of manual.

docz300

Auditioning
Real Name
ken
DirecTv did not go over this process. I will check this out later today, however page 62 of my manual is making the video connections. I'm not sure where I would find the audio output settings. I am thinking that these settings should be OK because before the addition of the HTS, everything worked fine. Could they really be incompatible?

docz300

Auditioning
Real Name
ken
DirecTv did not go over this process. I will check this out later today, however page 62 of my manual is making the video connections. I'm not sure where I would find the audio output settings. I am thinking that these settings should be OK because before the addition of the HTS, everything worked fine. Could they really be incompatible?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Ok, I was looking at online manual. I thought they were the same. There was audio output info on upper left corner of page 62. These were notes, on page 24 of online manual:
• Video signals from the HDMI (IN 1/2) jacks are sent to the HDMI (OUT) jack only when the “HDMI1” or “HDMI2” function is selected. • To send an audio signal from the HDMI (IN 1/2) jacks to the HDMI (OUT) jack, you may need to change the audio output setting. For details, see [Audio Output] in [Audio Settings] (page 62).
Adding a home theater system can change everything's settings, since you now want surround sound to come from system speakers, instead of from tv's stereo speakers. It should be in sat box "Settings" menus.

docz300

Auditioning
Real Name
ken
Checked Directv settings. Changed to Dolby Digital. There are no settings for HDMI that I could find. Nothing has changed, still doesn't work. Unit has only 1 HDMI out port. Unit is an H20 not an R20 that I stated earlier.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Ok, the problem must be a setting in the Sony HTS receiver. If the HDMI input you used on the receiver, from the sat box, wasn't factory assigned to "Cable/DBS"or "STB" (how your remote is marked), you may need to assign it to that. Can't be assigned to "TV", because that's a totally different signal. (When you want to watch TV, you push the "STB" button, instead of the TV button on the remote, right?) Your manual will walk you through this proceedure. I've not read your whole manual. One of the two HDMI inputs may be factory assigned for that. If so, make sure you're plugged into the right one. Upon looking further into your manual, it looks like the sat box should be plugged into HDMI2,according to page 30 of the online manual. That's really about all I know to say. If this doesn't fix it, maybe someone that's more familiar with the Sony system will come along and help. If I was there, I could probably figure it out. But, it's hard for me to troubleshoot like this. Good luck! :)

docz300

Auditioning
Real Name
ken
I will look into this later today, but will probably end up calling Directv and plead my case for an updated model. Thanks for the help.

docz300

Auditioning
Real Name
ken
Not the result that I wanted, but it is working. Tech ran HDMI cable from DirecTv receiver directly to TV. Ran audio cable from Directv to Sony HTS. Ran HDMI from HTS to TV. Set up TV so that DirecTV is port 7 and HTS is port 8. When I watch DirecTV, I have to turn HTS to Audio function and use port 7. To use blu-ray or other HTS functions, I switch to port 8. Hope I remember all that. Now, what about Xbox? Is there any way to run through HTS?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks