What's new

Veronica Mars Season 3 (1 Viewer)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Are we sure Kendall's dead?
Oh, she's definitely not dead. That's a given for a show like this!! :)
I like the new theme. A homage to The Wire? I wonder.
So, whom are they bringing in this year to fill the great Hamlin/Guttenburg acting void? Paging Ralph Machio... ;) :D

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Jason Seaver said:
Are we sure Kendall's dead? I'm not ruling out her and Keith being two steps ahead of the Fitzpatricks and putting blanks in the gun. It just seems to be an unnecessarily final way to clear the decks.
That they didn't show Kendall actually getting shot raises eyebrows.
But Keith sure booked into the house, for a guy who put blanks in the gun.
And Mr. Fitzpatrick might have noticed if he shot Kendall point blank and she just stood there unharmed.
If something was staged, it had to be on Fitz and Kendall's end.

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator
I seem to be in the minority here, but I love the new credits. I think the visuals are much more representative of the darker, edgier quality of the series than the silly high school "doodle" graphics. And I *really* like the emphasis on the father-daughter combo in the final shots, because imho, that is the heart of the show.
I agree that the remix of the theme song is not as "fun" as the peppy version they used to use, but after rewatching the credit sequence a few times, it has grown on me. So I give it a thumbs-up. New theme music probably would have worked better by matching the dark noirish tone, but the theme song is *so* popular with fans (or was) that people would have been very upset if they had changed it. But otoh, the original music would have been very out of place with the new visuals. So they did the best they could by using a remix.
So the trend of bringing in the 80s stars will be alive and well in season three. ;)

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
Hate the slowed down song. I thought the episode was down a notch on last season although it was a transition episode. That segment with those girls made my wife want to gag so it's not just a man thing. Obviously the suits think the only people watching are teenage girls. Which is funny because i'm sure I would have noticed turning into one. ;)
I'll be unimpressed the if season long mystery has been axed. That was one of the better aspects of the show.

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator
Andrew Beacom said:
I'll be unimpressed the if season long mystery has been axed. That was one of the better aspects of the show.
That was pretty much a mandate from the network, unfortunately.
The season-long mystery was considered too complex for new viewers to "jump in" to the show so the three-mystery arrangement is sort of the compromise. The network agreed to let each of the three mini-mysteries run without big blocks of repeats so they will be easier to follow. I think it's going to be a 9/7/6 split of episodes but that may change.
And of course, the show may be canceled at any time. I would like to think that the CW wouldn't stop it mid-mystery but there are no guarantees. The ratings for the premiere can only be described as lukewarm at best, so VM is on just as much thin ice as it's ever been.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Nicholas Martin said:
It should be illegal to even think of cancelling shows this great.
Hell yes!! :emoji_thumbsup:
I just have that sinking feeling. :frowning::frowning::frowning: If we lose this show I will mourne it unlike any cancelled show in my own personal history. :frowning:

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator
Well, tell everyone you know to watch. (TiVo/tape House for later viewing, it will wait! And House won't even be on for the next 3 weeks.)

And if you know anyone with a Nielsen box, offer them food, money, whatever it takes to get them to watch VM. Even a tiny increase in the number of Nielsen families watching would make a big difference in the ratings.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
CherylJ said:
won't even be on for the next 3 weeks.)
And if you know anyone with a Nielsen box, offer them food, money, whatever it takes to get them to watch VM. Even a tiny increase in the number of Nielsen families watching would make a big difference in the ratings.
I've done all that I can I think, i've told my boss about it, but I don't think that it's his kind of show, and I got a friend of mine and his girlfriend hooked on it as well. I DVR the show and have VM on high priority so that I can watch that and record House or anything else at 9 o'clock.
I'm prepared to drop fliers from a helicopter over the city to get people into this if I must!

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
It should be illegal to even think of cancelling shows this great.
I think we should give UPN/CW credit here -- I don't recall the last time a network's put so much effort into a show with such low ratings. They've promoted it, given it their highest rated shows for lead-ins, gotten CBS to air reruns. From what I've read, what's kept it on the air so long (and let's face it, any other network would've canceled it halfway through the first season) is that the former president of UPN/new president of the CW is a huge fan, but who knows how long that'll be enough.
Personally I wouldn't mind if the show was canceled, provided their weren't any major cliffhangers/unsolved mysteries. I love the show so much that I'd rather it go out in top form than dragging on long after it should've ended like The X-Files, Buffy, or The Simpsons.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Sort of interesting numbers: VM S2 is ranked #99 at Amazon, while Supernatural is #73 and Smallville is an impressive #19. Granted, VM has been out a little longer than the other two. I wish Amazon had a ranking tracker so you could see where a set peaked and when. In addition to ratings, strong DVD sales would help the show, I would think.
I don't know if this puts it in any kind of perspective, but Firefly is #72 on the list right now. :eek: That's not only been out as long as I can remember, but you'd think it's been long enough since the Serenity hoopla that it wouldn't rank so high for a release that's been on the market that long.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I've tried telling people about the show myself, that they are missing out on one of the best shows on TV. When I told them that it came on UPN (at the time), some would tell me that UPN gets crappy reception on their TV, while for others, it's simply not their cup of tea.

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator
Cameron Yee said:
So who else noticed the TA was played by the same actor who played Lucky last season? James Jordan: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2028579/
That was mentioned on the previous page, but we were discussing it in the spoiler tags because the episode hadn't aired yet.
Rob Thomas liked the actor so much last year as "Lucky" that he decided to bring him back this year as the TA Tim Foyle. I wonder if that last name is a clue? (It also sounds like tin foil, which I wonder was intentional or not. They do like their puns on this show.) I like the actor but that wig isn't so good.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Yeah, my friend mentioned the wig right off but it wasn't until later in the show that I recognized the actor.

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator
The opening scene for next week is online at cwtv.com. Plus the "Director's Cut" which is basically snippets of selected scenes.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
They mentioned the first episode of Veronica Mars in Entertainment Weekly and compared it how they changed Alias to appeal to a wide audience which, in their opinion, wasn't a good thing.
I like the new credits.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
Mikel_Cooperman said:
They mentioned the first episode of Veronica Mars in Entertainment Weekly and compared it how they changed Alias to appeal to a wide audience which, in their opinion, wasn't a good thing.
I like the new credits.
I haven't read the mag yet, but I don't see the comparison. At least going off of the first episode, the only real change I'm seeing is the arc will be shorter. They are still referencing prior events and characters as much as ever. Certainly anyone tuning in for the first time isn't going to understand about Kendall and the Fitzpatricks, Dick's back story, etc. Seems like the same ol' VM to me (which, of couse, is a good thing).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks