What's new

Veronica Mars season 1 (ongoing thread) (1 Viewer)

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator
quote:Well, it doesn't have to

Well, I didn't say it had to. I was just recounting that it didn't. The pacing is fine so far. I also hope we get at least a full season out of this.

quote:I thought it was a bit odd that Veronica was able to get a letter out to "Julia" Smith by looking up her current address under her former name of "John" Smith. They inicated that she had been going by "Julia" for quite some time

Hmmm. Yes it is odd. She might have used the name John Smith to get the Social and then used the SS# to grab the address, but that should have revealed the name change. Veronica, though, was as surprised as Justin. Old (and incorrect) information does tend to linger in databases for a long time though.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
quote:Paul Marshall

That man-as-a-woman thing must have thrown you for a loop. Other than the fact that she's the kiss of death, it's good to see her though
smile.gif

That was Melissa Leo.

I was also confused with the similar boyfriends (past and present). This really should figure into the casting, and give the producers the excuse/reason to have more diversity. The one who accidentally called the girl he was kissing Veronica was which? Plotwise, it makes more sense for him to be the old one.

I've read they plan to resolve the murder and mother storylines by the end of this season, which is good.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Ratings for Tuesday's show were a 1.9 rating with a 3 share. That's slightly below average for UPN, but it is also a slight improvement over the previous two episodes which were both 1.8 with a 3 share. At least they aren't losing any audience. Of course, with those numbers, I'm guessing there are about a half dozen people watching the show in addition to those who have posted to this thread, so how much audience is there to lose.
smile.gif

Regards,

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
To be on the safe side after the string of shows I enjoyed but were cancelled, I'm archiving this show.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
10/19/04

Good episode tonight, a nice balance between Veronica taking down some gamelords scamming on gullible people, and coming to terms with the memory of Lilly, and rebuilding some bits of her former friendship with Logan.

Veronica looked smoking as "Gamegirl".

The flashbacks paint such a different Veronica, but she definitely became more self-reliant and is okay with who she is now, even if she's not quite in that "in" crowd anymore.

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
The gamer place she went to was very unrealistic. Lol stuff like that cracks me up. I like the two guys playing a 1st person shooter on a big screen at the same time and it's not split screen at all then veronica just picks up her controller and bam she's using the same tv too.

I do like this show though i just thought that whole scene was lame except for her outfit.

Geeks get no respect on tv.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
One thing I'm noticing is that the more I see of Lily, the less I like her. I imagine that's intentional - we're going to see her murder as at least partially the end result of her own bad decisions - but a little goes a long way.

Nice use of Francis Capra, too - anyone want to bet that Lily's secret was that she was seeing Weevil behind what's-his-name's back?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Well, what's-his-name has been referred to several times as a "psychopath" and we have yet to see that really illustrated. He's been shown as a jerk and a spoiled brat, but psychopath? I'm guessing we'll see the payoff of that descriptor eventually.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You mean Logan?

I finally figured out who's who among the guys:

Duncan - old boyfriend, Lily's brother
Logan - friend of Duncan, Lily's prom date
Troy - Veronica's current boyfriend.
Weevil - bald dude with moustache, could have been with Lily.
Wallace - taped to the flagpole dude, friend of Veronica

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I may print out post #71 and tape it to the TV when I watch the next episode.
smile.gif

Seriously, would it have killed Rob Thomas to give Duncan/Logan/Troy more memorable names and maybe cast someone who didn't look just like the other two characters in one of those roles?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The fact that all of the cliquish caucasian rich kids look, dress, and talk so much alike is perhaps the only nod to realism the show has to offer.
smile.gif
Conformity is currency for teens. Heck, some of the high school kids I see who consider themselves non-comformists frequently travel in a pack of 3-5 kids who like to non-conform in the exact same way.

Regards,

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have no problems differentiating them physically. The names are just slow to catch on - Duncan and Logan almost rhyme! :)

So far I've enjoyed Bell's performance, but I think she showed a weak area in the ep where she drives to Arizona to see her mom. She seemed to be forcing the sadness, not unlike the Lindsey character in Arrested Development :)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
quote:I have no problems differentiating them physically. The names are just slow to catch on - Duncan and Logan almost rhyme!
That's realistic, too. Heck, the fact that they don't have at least two kids named Jake and two kids named Jennifer out of the dozen characters they've named probably defies the odds at actual high schools today.
smile.gif

Regards,

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Whoa, talk about squashing the Troy storyline in one fell swoop. Didn't see that coming...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This episode probably went a little too fast in wrapping up Veronica's relationship with Troy, but then again, Veronica's narration even addressed this point, so I guess it's a reflection of the speed of realization for her, especially after her dad gives her the file on Troy.

How many teenagers could afford to send out so many prepaid cell phones in order to contact her mother. At least Veronica knows that her mom didn't run out on her because her mom didn't want her anymore, but to protect her. Resourceful is Veronica's middle name.

Is the ice melting between Veronica and Logan, it seems so.

Wallace cracking on Troy was kinda funny. Wallace's grown quite a pair since the series premiere.

Hopefully Keith ending it with the Paula Marshall character will give this show a chance (because of the Paula Marshall show cancellation curse).

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

In the case of Spin City didn't they get rid of her before the "curse" could take effect? :)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I don't think Marshall was ever on Spin City, although it's pretty easy to confuse her and Carla Gugino.

Still, I think they'll keep Marshall around - you seldom bill someone "and Paula Marshall as Rebecca" if they're only going to be in two episodes. And I wouldn't worry about any so-called curse; just a few years ago Lauren Graham was said to be similarly afflicted.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

I was confused and correct at the same time. :) Carla Gugino was in Spin City at its inception and Paula Marshall appeared in the series a couple years in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks