What's new

Veronica Mars season 1 (ongoing thread) (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It's okay, Matt. You're a poster in good standing around here, and it was a mistake I knew someone would make. There are a total of four VM threads right now, and three of them are active. If someone had bumped the season 2 DVD thread last night, I might have been the one to post in the wrong thread.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Thanks for the understanding guys, and again, I'm very, very sorry for any trouble I have caused you. I certainly learned the lesson to ALWAYS DOUBLE-CHECK THE THREAD TITLE from now on :frowning:

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
No harm done, Matt, I didn't see a thing. ;)

It was sort of my fault for resurrecting the season 1 thread after it's laid dormant for months, it's very easy to get confused as to which thread your in with 2 season threads running at once.

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator
John: Season one of VM is pretty spectacular stuff, and I for one quite enjoy reading the "OMG! I love this show" reactions from new fans just catching up with S1 on DVD. So there is no need to apologize for resurrecting the S1 thread, imho. I've seen every S1 episode numerous times (please don't ask), and I still never get tired of talking about it.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

I can understand that, a show like this is like a great movie, one to be seen over and over. :emoji_thumbsup:

I rewatched the pilot the other day and caught a couple of things that made more sense now that i've seen the whole season, also, it was interesting to see some characters in the pilot because I now knew how they would evolve over the course of the season.

Take Logan for instance, the first time I watched it, I thought he was just your typical high school jerk with nothing going on under the surface, but this time it was different because I knew what he went through with Lilly, his dad beating him and why he hates Veronica at first.

By the end of the season, I was rooting for him, he and Veronica make a nice couple, too IMO. Like I said, I just hope that Eli and his gang didn't rough him up too bad...i'll find out soon enough. ;) The first thing Veronica should have done was go see him after Aaron was arrested, but then again she had no reason to believe he was in any danger and so she probably just assumed she'd see and talk to him the next day, she didn't know that Eli overheard her.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I agree about Logan. I thought, "Man, I'm going to hate this guy" when the show began, but I was actually glad when he and Veronica started something together.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Same for Eli, although I still can't make up my mind about the guy one way or the other. Is he leaving Wallace alone because of the tape or because he respects Veronica and thus accepts Wallace by association? Is he just a misunderstood guy or a genuine raving punk? Jury's still out on Eli.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Here you go, Greg, but i'll put it in spoilers in case you want to see it for yourself...

In the pilot, two of Eli's punk cronies started stealing liquor from where Wallace was working and it was all caught on surveilance video, but Veronica, in an attempt to save her new friend Wallace from Eli's torture, swiped the tape and replaced it with a tape of one of Neptune's deputies coming out of a bar with a prostitute. Wallace is hanging onto the real tape to keep Eli at bay.

CherylJ

Stunt Coordinator

Ah, Logan. Yes. In the Pilot, I wanted to smash his face in, especially when he confronted Veronica in the parking lot and started talking about her mother. And when he was smashing her headlights? Grrr.

Now when I watch that scene, I realize how awful it must have been for Logan when his dad found out about the bong in his locker. Logan was probably suspended, and imagine what Aaron did to him when he found out. It puts Logan's anger at Veronica into perspective. He only made fun of her mom, but when she planted the bong in his locker to get back at him, she set him up for a world of pain. Logan said that Aaron just took his car away, but we know that Aaron did a lot more than that. So smashing her headlights doesn't seem like such a big deal in retrospect.

The Pilot is an amazingly crafted piece of storytelling, imho. It only got better and better when I rewatched it after watching the entire season. It's so full of information that doesn't seem all that important until much later, but every line, every scene is significant to the story.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Since this topic came up earlier in this thread...check out this picture of Francis Capra (Weevil) from 'A Bronx Tale'...

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
Heh, that reminds me that my wife and I were watching "The Shield" on DVD recently and seeing a much younger, and much thinner, Weevil with a small but important bit in a late S1 episode. And then a few episodes later Kristen Bell showed up for a guest appearance.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I picked up all three seasons of this series on a Vudu "Bundle and Save" sale. With "The Good Place" done for the year, I started watching it to get my Kristen Bell fix.

It's a good show, but it's interesting to see just how much the television medium has evolved in the last 15 years. Some of the production techniques feel very cheesy today. And while the show is in HD, it was obviously shot with SD 4x3 audiences in mind: The picture is grainy 16mm for the most part, all of the important information is kept in the center of the frame with lots of dead space on the sides, and every now and again the picture switches from HD to SD, presumably for scenes where shooting on film wasn't practical so they switched to video tape instead. The focus pulling is also iffy at times, close enough that it wouldn't be a problem at 480i, but more obvious at 1080p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks