What's new

Vera Cruz Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Finally got my copy and I'm absolutely delighted; this is the best the film will ever look on home video. And it's a great western. Fans will enjoy John McElwee's 2-part look at the film at his Greenbriar Picture Shows blog; his point re the prints makes sense - the cropping isn't a disaster (setting aside the detrimental effect the Superscope process has on the film in general), but I'd lay good money on it being shot with a slightly more forgiving 1.85:1 frame in mind.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Robert Crawford said:
Has anybody else viewed this BRD yet?

Crawdaddy
I watched it twice yesterday, first on a 50" plasma screen then via a projector producing a 10 foot wide image. I agree with Matt. It's not bad but it's not brilliant either. It's certainly a lot better than the DVD but it's nothing compared with the BRD of Rio Lobo (for example) I think the problem comes from the elements they were working with. I didn't get the impression the BRD producers had done a poor job.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Robin9

I watched it twice yesterday, first on a 50" plasma screen then via a projector producing a 10 foot wide image. I agree with Matt. It's not bad but it's not brilliant either. It's certainly a lot better than the DVD but it's nothing compared with the BRD of Rio Lobo (for example) I think the problem comes from the elements they were working with. I didn't get the impression the BRD producers had done a poor job.

I think it's probably the best it's going to look on home video. I'm very happy with this video presentation as it compares to prior video releases.

Crawdaddy

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Robin9 said:
The problems are quite alot more, as has been pointed out a few times above, to do with the actual Superscope processing, which (unless a flat print is sourced for a 1.85:1 presentation) are pretty insurmountable.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I think it's probably the best it's going to look on home video. I'm very happy with this video presentation as it compares to prior video releases.

Crawdaddy
Now, about ten years later, I rescind my usage of the words "I'm very happy" to "I'm satisfied for the moment".:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks