What's new

Venturer HD DVD Player (1 Viewer)

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Hmmm... tempting as I still haven't upgrade from my A1. So a few question:
  1. What are the trade off (if any) between this and the A2/A3?
  2. Does it allow for firmware updates via a home network?
  3. What are the upscaling abilites for SD DVD?
  4. Has anyone heard of Venturer before and what is the reputation of their products?
  5. ~$100 are you serious!? :)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
It is supposed to be $149USD & $179CND respectively.

This according to an e-mail received from Venturer by a member (Dave Vaughn I think?) over at AVS.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer

1-Probably not as reliable as the Toshibas
2-This is required by the HD DVD standard, so yes
3-Will go up to 1080i over HDMI, 480p over component
4-Parent company (Alco) also makes several discount chain house brands, i.e. $69 dollar HTIBs
5-US msrp will probably be $199, expect street prices in the $150 range

If you can possibly afford a Toshiba forget the Venturer.

Juan C

Second Unit

I don't think this player offers anything over an A1. I might consider it if it did 1080/24p, but it does not.

Nick

Second Unit
Like someone has posted earlier. You get what you paid for. Most home theater owner will problably will not even touch it and it's still way too expensive for Joe sixpack. I don't really think with the Exclusively release of the Transformers will encourage poeple to go out and buy the player. I would say almost 95 percents of the DVD owner out there rent more than buy. If Blockbuster don't carry any HD disc then you're only gonna end up with a Lower Brand and very expensive DVD player. If Sony owns "Spiderman" then I don't think it will be released on HDdvd either. There's good and bad coming out of this. It drives the price down a lot faster than we're all expected. Right now we're all just wait who gonna be the winner.

Nick

Second Unit
Like someone has posted earlier. You get what you paid for. Most home theater owner will problably will not even touch it and it's still way too expensive for Joe sixpack. I don't really think with the Exclusively release of the Transformers will encourage poeple to go out and buy the player. I would say almost 95 percents of the DVD owner out there rent more than buy. If Blockbuster don't carry any HD disc then you're only gonna end up with a Lower Brand and very expensive DVD player. If Sony owns "Spiderman" then I don't think it will be released on HDdvd either. There's good and bad coming out of this. It drives the price down a lot faster than we're all expected. Right now we're all just wait who gonna be the winner.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member

Don't know Matt Duda or Ultimate Electronics but I agree with the latter statement. Toshiba or Sony could tip the scales with a sub $200 player. HD-DVD is closest to that price now, but I would give the Venturer a spin @ 150 or less.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I would disagree that you get what you pay for. Someone in my family has bought several of the Sony vcr/dvd recorders. None of them has lasted for
six months. All of them have been very expensive. It's a shame you don't get what you pay for.

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau
Hey....just check out that $1 bag of jelly beans at wal-mart...delicious. Best bang for your buc.
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks