What's new

ventriloquist (1 Viewer)

JuanNarvaez

Agent
I need a feedback on the ventriloquist speakers. How good are they. And if paired, is it better with HSU or SVS subs?

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
They are excellent for the price! And that's the key: "for the price". They sound like larger speakers due to the patented Ventriloquist effect. And when they are mated with a good clean subwoofer (like an HSU STF-2 or STF-3), the combination sounds like a very "full" speaker system. Of course, since this "ventriloquist" effect only exists in the front sound stage, you have to realize that the surround speakers will still have a small sound since all the surround speakers are rather tiny.

Overall, I was very impressed with how they sounded when mated with an HSU VTF-3 MK2 and powered by a Yamaha RX-V2400. However, JBL Studio Series speakers mated with the same subwoofer and powered by the same receiver, sound better, but cost a whole lot more. Is the difference in sound quality worth the price difference? That's a decision you have to make, but I can guarantee you that you won't find anything that sounds as good as the Ventriloquist speakers for the same price, or even twice the price.

I have set up various systems for customers with the following components, and the result is impressive for the price: Pioneer VSX-1015TX receiver powering HSU Ventriloquist VT-12 speaker mated with an HSU STF-2 (~$1400 CDN budget).

Lanny Hoff

Stunt Coordinator
I helped a friend set up a Ventriloquist system a couple of weeks ago. He is using them with a Hsu STF-2. My first impressions as we unpacked the system were not positive. The satellites are stunningly small and the driver in each one is a tiny 2.5" cone speaker. The center is more impressive, but still compact. None of this should have been a surprise since it's all on the Hsu website, but still, my first impressions were not great.

Installation was simple, if a bit unconventional. To make use of the "ventriloquist effect" you must route the cables for the front right and left speakers to the center first, and then to each front speaker. This is so the effect can work, as there is a crossover built into the center. No big deal, just a tad different than I'm used to.

Once wired, we did a simple calibration and sat down with a few minutes of Lord of the Rings. It was immediately apparent that this system is a real HT system. The vocals were clear, special effects were well placed and I noticed no glaring deficiencies. It works as advertised and is a good option for anyone on a budget or with space constraints. We did not turn the volume up too loud, but at moderate levels it was pleasant and effective. The sub, by the way, is great for smaller rooms (as this was), which is no surprise to me as I am an admirer of Hsu equipment.

brendy

Agent
Another happy Ventiloquist user.Got mine at CompUSA for $200 as a clearance special.I have mine paired with the Onkyo 602 receiver and 2 Sony SA-WX700 subs.For those unfamiliar with them each one has 2 10" drivers in a Push-Pull configuration (like M-K subs) and a 250 digital amp.No complaints with music or movies.Upon examining the satellites I was very impressed.Gold plated binding post,rubber surrounds and rounded corners on the cabinets.Things you do not usually see on budget mini speakers.Like the other posts say you can not do better for the price.For about $1100 (reciever-$450,subs-&450,speakers-$200),I have a very good sounding system that for less money than just a Bose Acoustimass system by itself and puts it to absolute shame.

berk@g

Auditioning
i've heard some great things about the v-12 system. as for the subs, the stf-2 and pb10 are closely matched. i would without a doubt go with the stf-2 over the pb10, if you're buying the ventriloquist...for the discount, if nothing else.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks