What's new

Veneer from Home Depot/Lowes...is it good? (1 Viewer)

I'm beginning construction of a GR A/V-3S for a center channel speaker and was browsing Lowe's for some paper veneer today. They only seemed to have one brand, I forget the name. It came in multiple types : sticker based, iron on, and manual glue.

Anybody used veneer from the big two?
Also, which type should I go with?

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
I just started veneering my EBS tempest today. I am using Bennett oak veneer from HD. It came in a roll of 24" X 99". It is looking pretty good so far but I wont know until it is completely dry. The wood looks good but cracks easily when unrolling it.

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
How much does that run, Graham? Looks like I would need 2-3 rolls. How is it glued on?:)

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
In Canada the veneer is $25 a roll. I will need 2 rolls because I am only doing 4 sides. I am using carpenters glue which is what the guy at HD suggested.

Bob K

Stunt Coordinator
James,

If you're willing to consider other sources, take a look at Constantines on the web. As I newbie, I think I can't post the url, but add dotcom.

I'm NOT affiliated, but I've built several speakers using Constantines paperbacked veneer and it's beautiful stuff. Constantines is one of the premier veneer sources -- recommended by my "Woodworking 101" instructor when I took a course last year -- and it's located in your native state.

How are you going to finish the veneer?

Whichever route you go, happy listening!

Bob: I haven't decided for sure how to finish the bookshelf speakers I'll be building. It's a toss up between a dark cherry to match other furniture or a traditional high gloss black. If I go the black gloss route I will not need veneer at all, right?

Is the paperbacked stuff (where you supply the glue) preferred/easier to work with than the others that already have glue?

Bob K

Stunt Coordinator
James,

Yes, if you're going to paint, you don't need veneer. I've never painted MDF (if that's what you're going to use), but from posts I'm sure you would need to prepare and prime the substrate thoroughly before painting. I get the impression that getting a really nice paint finish (particularly a high gloss finish) is in many ways harder than veneering.

I guess I can't answer to your second question, since I've never used "preglued" veneer. I use plain paperbacked veneer but NOT contact cement (which is what most people seem to use). I put regular old yellow glue on the substrate and the back of the veneer (after wiping the front of the veneer with a damp sponge). Wait about an hour until the glue gets tacky- almost dry. Place veneer on substrate. Reposition if necessary (a big advantage over contact cement). Iron on (cotton setting). Trim.

As my woodworking 101 teacher explained, white and yellow glue are "thermoplastic", that is, they remelt when heated. It really works!

Bob

PS -- James, I just looked at your site -- you don't need help from me, I need help from you! Nice stuff! And I love the cats (I have four).

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
Very nice finish on the sub, James. Makes mine look like a swap meet clunker! :D (mine) Guess I'll check out what HD has next time I'm there.

Jake K

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Bob, does the veneer from Constantines come in 4x8 sheets or what? I like the 100 square feet of cherry veneer for only $52, but I need to know if it comes in large sheets or strips or whatever. thanks

Bob and Mattak: Thanks for the compliments. :) I put a lot of time and effort into the sub and I'm very pleased with the results.

The veneer I used on it was like a 1/8" plywood sheet with one side finished. I have some left over and would love to use that, but there's no way to get the rigid stuff to work on a bookshelf speaker (especially since the front baffle has a round over).

I've also heard finishing raw MDF is a PITA. I'm pretty certain I'll go with veneering the speakers as I build them.

I've been wiped out with the flu last two days, but I hope to get things started before the end of the week.

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
I was in home depot today and couldn't fine any veneer whatsoever! I asked at least 4 different people, one of which didn't know what veneer even is.

Gerry S

Stunt Coordinator
Matt:

That's the same response I received at HD. Although one of the persons told me to try a different store which supposedly carries veneer.

Look in your phone book under Lumber. I got lucky and found a local supplier that sold it for a great price. A 4x8 sheet of red oak was about $30.

-Gerry

Bob K

Stunt Coordinator
Jake,

Constantines flexible veneer comes in sheets that are 96" long. Widths are 18", 24", 36" and 48" (not everything comes in all widths). To get the best overview of what's available, it's best to use the "electronic catalog" feature on the site, then locate the "flexible veneer" page.

I've used their cherry and rosewood, and I've got some zebrawood veneer that I'm going to use on a center channel as a belated present for my brother-in-law.

Even with flexible veneer, it's not easy to get around corners. My brother-in-law's present was delayed because I'm trying something different: rounding over contrasting solid wood, then ripping strips for the edges.

I'm sure there are many other great suppliers out there, I'm just a satisfied customer.

Bob

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member

I've tried the preglued iron-on stuff. It didn't seem to stick as well along the edges. I've had much better success with the paperbacked and a water-based adhesive. Although, I know several here advise against the water-based stuff...I've never had a problem with it.

I've noticed Home Depot's veneer selections have been dwindling.. I don't think they get much demand for them. They mostly just carry red oak if any at all. (which is what I usually go with because it matches the trim in my house) Band-it is the brand name, I believe.

Here is an example:

HarryS

Grip
I used the veneer from HD or Lowes (can't remember where I bought it). I got the red oak, plain back. I applied several coats of yellow glue to both the mdf and the back of the veneer, let it dry completely, then placed the veneer on the speaker, positioned it exactly where I wanted it, then used my wifes old iron on a medium setting to remelt the glue. After I was done, I let it cool and used the edge of a coin to tap check the surface to find any spots that didn't quite glue properly. Reapplied heat as required.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks