What's new

Velodyne Vrp 12 (1 Viewer)

nyg052003

Agent
Real Name
charles
found 1 on craigslist for 100 bucks. Looking to add more bass to my Onkyo hts 5100

what do you guys think?

nyg052003

Agent
Real Name
charles
schan1269 said:
Is it near Chicago?

Is it the best 12" out there? No. But it will demolish the sub you have now.
No I'm in SC actually and that's where it is. So i guess you are saying it's worth the 100 bucks lol? There were some other brands on CL as well for around same price from different sellers but most were 8 or 10's. I think one was a Polk, maybe a sony, and few other brands i think. One might of been a Klipsche but maybe the Klipse was more money. It would just be in addition to the 8 inch onkyo also

nyg052003

Agent
Real Name
charles
Robert_J said:
Your 8" is a glass of old, sour milk. The Velodyne is a gallon of milk fresh from the store. Combine the two and what do you have?
lol but how could adding a sub not give you more bass. I mean after finally listening to my stereo yesterday via my hd samsung cd recorder via a toslink cable, it sounded awesome actually but noticed as i went up in volume to about 60 it sounded like it was bottoming out a little bit but 60 wouldnt be a volume that i would keep it at anyway, i was just testing it out. Max volume is 75. At about 40-55 would probably be the volume i would watch movies at which it was fine.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What that means is....you probably won't be able to use both together. The Velodyne is so much more subwoofer...the original will pointless.

nyg052003

Agent
Real Name
charles
schan1269 said:
What that means is....you probably won't be able to use both together. The Velodyne is so much more subwoofer...the original will pointless.
ok I get what you are saying but ofcourse I would have to turn the Velodyne down to balance it out i guess. I will just play with it to find the sweet spot and i guess for 100 bucks thats a steal compared ot what they cost new. And that's even providing it's still for sale; hadn't heard back from the seller on Clist yet.

now an uddate on what I learned today:
just checking today and talking to the guy at Onkyo, the avr that's comparable wattage wise to my HT-R560 would be the 828 which is $550 bucks to trade mine in..............Geeesh!!!! I was having a hard time wanting to pay the $175 for the upgrade to the 515 which i found out and glad I did that it has less wattage, a good bit less than what I currently have though it has audio off the hdmi, wi fi and bluetooth. So darn man $550 bucks.....................Whooooooooooooo.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ignore wattage. It takes double the wattage to go 3db.Most AVR have around 40-60wpc all channels driven anyway. So whatever the rating is is pointless in real use.

nyg052003

Agent
Real Name
charles
schan1269 said:
Ignore wattage. It takes double the wattage to go 3db.

Most AVR have around 40-60wpc all channels driven anyway. So whatever the rating is is pointless in real use.
so you are absolutely saying that rather I get the 515 which is 80w minimum contiuous power per channel at 8 ohm load, 2 channels driven from 20hz to 20khz or the
828 which is :
130 watts minimum continuous power
per channel, 8 ohm loads, 2 channels
driven from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, with a
maximum total harmonic distortion of
0.08% (FTC)
(North American)

Are you saying that I will not notice any difference in how loud and clear the system will be/play?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Not on your "stock" Onkyo 5100 speakers.Will the 8x8 play louder?You bet, but by 2-3db only. By the way...3db is "twice as loud" but 99% of people can't tell a volume difference till 10dbFor there to be 10db difference you'd have to go 800wpc.

nyg052003

Agent
Real Name
charles
schan1269 said:
Not on your "stock" Onkyo 5100 speakers.Will the 8x8 play louder?You bet, but by 2-3db only. By the way...3db is "twice as loud" but 99% of people can't tell a volume difference till 10dbFor there to be 10db difference you'd have to go 800wpc.
Hell I mite as well just get the 515 then lol. I definitely didnt want it to be any " Less " loud than it is now. I might just go and purchase one from Best Buy if they have one and hook it up and see if I am satisfied before I do the swap.

nyg052003

Agent
Real Name
charles
As i said earlier I am comfortable with the volume at about 40-50, its nice at about that volume. So i guess even with the 515 that volume level also should be about what the 560 is playing at the same level

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, you missed my entire point about AVR power ratings. You, period, do not give a squat, at all, what it "says" for power. End. Of. Discussion.

Your present AVR probably produces around 45-55wpc x7. It does not, never had, never could, is not designed to, produce 100x7. Not possible at all. End. Of. Discussion.

So, if your current AVR is really around 50wpc, the 515 probably creates a bit less around 40-45x7. The 818 probably produces 60-70x7.

Are you going to notice 45 vs 60 wpc? No. End. Of. Discussion.

nyg052003

Agent
Real Name
charles
schan1269 said:
By the way, you missed my entire point about AVR power ratings. You, period, do not give a squat, at all, what it "says" for power. End. Of. Discussion.

Your present AVR probably produces around 45-55wpc x7. It does not, never had, never could, is not designed to, produce 100x7. Not possible at all. End. Of. Discussion.

So, if your current AVR is really around 50wpc, the 515 probably creates a bit less around 40-45x7. The 818 probably produces 60-70x7.

Are you going to notice 45 vs 60 wpc? No. End. Of. Discussion.
sounds like they are lying then lol. I wonder why ? I always heard that cheap, sorry companies back in the day like Jensen, pyramid, majestic overrate their products while companies like Orion underrate theirs. So why would Onkyo say 130 W when in fact it's 45-55?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Cause it isn't "lying" if you pay attention to how they come up with the power rating, And Onkyo isn't alone. Pioneer, Yamaha, Denon, et al...all do the same.

nyg052003

Agent
Real Name
charles
schan1269 said:
Cause it isn't "lying" if you pay attention to how they come up with the power rating, And Onkyo isn't alone. Pioneer, Yamaha, Denon, et al...all do the same.
thanks for the insight. Now I guess the 515 will do me just fine. Gotta double check to make sure it's wi fi ready, and Bluetooth. If not I guess its the 626

nyg052003

Agent
Real Name
charles
schan1269 said:
Just wanted to see your opinion on this. I asked the Onkyo tech this in email but he hasn't been getting back to me all that fast :)

:

Ok I'm looking at a total of about $233 to get the 515 and get the UBT and UW1 while it will be $300 ofcourse for the 626. Now I like saving as much as I can but just wanting your opinion on if it's better overall to have that connection built in vs having the usb adapters which will pull off of my wireless router that's in the house. Either way either reciever i get will pull off of the router in the house but just wondering if built in vs the usb connections would be an advantage or disadvantage either way?

this is in reference to the 515 needing the adapters while the 626 has it built in

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The "major difference" when it comes to buying AV equipment.

People forget about the "back end" of the deal...IE, when it is time to sell it and move on to the "next one".

Look up Ebay pricing of the...

507/508/509 vs the 607/608/609 (after the X09 is the 515*/616, then 525/626). Especially pay attention to "sell-through". Meaing of all the listings of 50X vs 60X...how many really sold? If not familiar with Ebay, you can check listings based on what stuff sold for months ago.

Then you can decide if the $67 spent today will net a bit more residual value at the "back end"...(hint, it will)

*Technically the 515 replaced the 609. Then the 616 was "new". The 525 and 626 returned to the prior 509/609 "tier structure".

nyg052003

Agent
Real Name
charles
schan1269 said:
The "major difference" when it comes to buying AV equipment.

People forget about the "back end" of the deal...IE, when it is time to sell it and move on to the "next one".

Look up Ebay pricing of the...

507/508/509 vs the 607/608/609 (after the X09 is the 515*/616, then 525/626). Especially pay attention to "sell-through". Meaing of all the listings of 50X vs 60X...how many really sold? If not familiar with Ebay, you can check listings based on what stuff sold for months ago.

Then you can decide if the $67 spent today will net a bit more residual value at the "back end"...(hint, it will)

*Technically the 515 replaced the 609. Then the 616 was "new". The 525 and 626 returned to the prior 509/609 "tier structure".
to be honest i dont or have never sold anything on ebay. I have over the yrs sold some things by word of mouth but not many things. What I buy I usually keep pretty much until they break lol. I bought a 95 mustang v6 in late 96 and when blew a head gasket in 02, it was time to swap to a 5.0. Still have the car with many upgrades. In 99 i bought a 92 chevy s10 as i needed a little work truck. Plan was to keep it a few yrs then upgrade and though i meant to several times, I still have it. I am going to get a new Sierra Denali when they hit the lots though.

But yeah basically i was asking if there would be any connectivity advantages or disadvantages of having to have to buy the usb adapters vs going with the avr that has it built in already? But surely i appreciate the insight as well as I do tend to want to stay current with the times but if I'm going to get something that chances are I will never use most of it's features anyway, i sometimes would rather keep the extra loot lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks