1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Velodyne HGS-18 vs. SVS PB2-Plus

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Haris Ellahi, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Chip E

Chip E Well-Known Member

I think running the PB2+ with one port plug would be close enough to stock. Think so Ed ? Seems like it would still be loud as hell with one plug always in.. and, still get some great bottom feeder action too..

2. Edward J M

Edward J M Well-Known Member

3. Zack_R

Zack_R Well-Known Member

My take (opinion) on the Weatherhead reviews when looking at the individual graphs are this:

There seems to be very minimal very low frequency (sub 20 hz)room gain at the microphone testing location. I say this as all the other subs (non velo and Ultra)are crashing hard below 20 hz. If there was any significant room gain, I think we would see it represented more clearly in the graphs.

With that said, the Ultras are performing beyond what a 20 hz ported design would dictate (from what I've read). Eyeballing the chart, it appears to me the Ultras are only down 2-3 db at 15 or so hz compared to their spl at 20 hz. Like Ed said, with the original driver. Whether it's the tube design or driver, real world applications may prove more dramatic than anechoic testing would indicate.

I own an Ultra and do not feel I'm missing a beat[​IMG]

4. Chris James

Chris James Well-Known Member

5. Mike Sloan

Mike Sloan Well-Known Member

How about the PB2+ compared to the "Denali" from Acoustic Visions?

Tumult 15" driver
    (2)18" Passive Radiators
    1000W Bash amp

$1700.00 is more than the PB2+...but any ideas on how these two would stack up?

6. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Well-Known Member

There may have been a previous thread along those lines. It was probably locked, but you could try a search.

7. Mike Sloan

I know there was a "flame war" over the Everest/B4+ comparison...but I'll try a search with Denali...

8. Jack Gilvey

Ahh...maybe that was it. [​IMG]

9. David Lorenzo

David Lorenzo Well-Known Member

As far as raw spl goes I think the PB2+ would beat a Denali. All speculation of course.

10. I have my opinions, but I can say for a FACT that trying to compare the two will result in another flame war.

BTW, what is "raw spl" Is it the maximum attainable SPL at any frequency without any regard to any harmonic distortions?

Also as for the price comparison, lets not forget that the Denali has a real wood veneer finish and that particular SVS has textured paint (or truckbed liner spray..or something like it) and that PR's cost an order of magnitude more than ports.

11. David Lorenzo

David Lorenzo Well-Known Member

Hi Anthony.

I don't want to compare the 2 subs any further than this post because of the flame war that you predict. I agree that it would definately happen so this is my last post on the subject.

I just meant that the PB2+ would probably win in terms of output (kept under a reasonable distortion limit of course). Keep in mind that the Tumult would be getting 1000 watts in the Denali. So it wouldn't be near its full potential.

I think we would be talking about a very slight lead though. Maybe 1-2 dBs. This is just a guess though. They could be even or the Denali could win. Either way I'd take a Denali any day over the PB2+. Nice wood veneer and very clean output.

12. Mike Sloan

What are the pros and cons regarding the use of PR's versus ports? I think the Denali's PR's are weighted so the F3 point on this subwoofer is approximately 18Hz. You would have to block atleast one port on the PB2+ to get into this range and I would assume that would effect the overall output. Both subs are very different in their approach...not trying to start a flame war...just interested...I would gladly have either one. I for one like the "truck-bed" liner finish...very tuff stuff...kinda manly!!

13. Joe Wilmore

Joe Wilmore Well-Known Member

Guys, let's also remember that spl is not the end all in subwoofers. If you read the review of the Ultra vs. the HGS, the reviewer felt the HGS was better for music, and yet the Ultra measured better. I know the DIY guys don't want to hear this, but alot more goes into a subwoofer than just the best driver, a decent amp and a enclosure design.

14. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Well-Known Member

15. Jack Gilvey

16. Zack_R

Zack_R Well-Known Member

17. Mike Sloan

18. no, as I explained to Dan, it is that very special Glue used by ________ that will give you up to an additional 1db gain at 20hz! couple that with the acrylic and you are good to go!!!![​IMG]

19. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Well-Known Member

How do you guys think the Klipsch RSW-15 will compare to the SVS PB2-Plus for home theater?

20. Mike Sloan

The PB2+ would eat the Klipsch RSW-15 for lunch....I think it would exceed it in every way!