What's new

Velodyne has announced an external subwoofer setup room equalizer... (1 Viewer)

Dave Dahl

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

I was going over some things recently and stumbled onto a Velodyne press release announcing the future release of a subwoofer calibration system. It will include the 2.0 software version of the system they currently use for their DD subwoofers. The external box will be able to be used with almost any subwoofer. I think I smell a BFD killer with this one.

-Dave

Now if I only knew how much it will cost.

BruceD

Screenwriter
Do you have any specs?

Can it vary the "Q" (narrowness of the filter) to as fine as 1/60th octave bandwidth?

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
From Velodyne.com

SMS-1
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Probably not. But it is likelier easier to use than a BFD, no to mention more aesthetically pleasing. Neither one of these issues is important to me (unless the price difference is under 100$--then the convenience factor might weigh in) but for a lot of people, the extra cost will be worth the added ease of use and better looks. Besides, as popular as the BFD is among HT enthusiasts, it was designed for a completely different application and the bulk of its buyers are NOT HT people.

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
To me, the BFD @$100. is a SMS-1 killer. The BFD is not for the technically challenged so the SMS-1 will definitely have a market.

David

BruceD

Screenwriter
Essentially my question is with it's precision. If it doesn't have very fine resolution for it's "Q" parameter like the BFD (1/60th octave resolution), but instead something like 1/3 octave resolution, it will be less useful for truly eliminating modal peaks. Easier to use, yes, but not as musically satisfying, and for sure more expensive!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks