What's new

Velodyne CHT Series Subs (1 Viewer)

Rus Bowisc

Stunt Coordinator
I heard mentioned that the CHT-15's optimum performance can be reached with the front grill removed... is this so?

Rus

Curt C

Agent
Rus,
At bass frequencies a grill doesn't matter one way or the other. It's primarily there for looks and protection.
Curt

Rus Bowisc

Stunt Coordinator
Curt,

That's what I thought... 1/2 of the wavelength of low-end is much larger than the width of the grill- no doubt... but this guy sounded like he was confident about it (that it'll sound much better w/o the grill).

On location... the sub is in a corner, about 3 feet from the sofa (firing towards the main sofa's side)... would my sofa be acting as some kind of bass-trap this way? Or should I re-aim the sub-woofer so that it is firing diagnally (which would point towards the TV screen), instead of firing along the rear wall.

Thanks for everything...

Rus

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I read your calibration atempt post this morning but I did not have time to reply.

With the CHT 15 it is optimal to have your receiver SW setting at the middle value, - or + 1. You should not need to turn your gain up on the back of your sub/plate more than 1/2 way. My HT room is the same size as yours and a setting of 9:00 on the plate put me at +3 in the Video option mode. This mode to my ears was more desirable. I would say it was tighter but gave up just a little extension. If you use a Y on the back it will help the sensitivity of the auto function. You will need to recalibrate though. Plate amps such as is on the back of your Vel are not made to have the gain set as you describe. Now separate Pro amps are just the posit. I turn my QSC to full gain or close and calibrate from there.

I have tried Velodyne/SVS/AV15/kenwood/Sony/DLS subs firing into the side of my couch close to the listening position. IMO the smaller subs work out best for this. The CHT15 did not work out well at all for me in this position. Try if you can? to put some distance between you and the sub (If it is a viable option). Try your phase at 0 first and play with it a little. A 1/8----1/4 turn to the left or right might be a big help also? Do you have a meeter and disk to calibrate with?

Curt C

Agent
Rus,
On location, there's nothing like trying it out. In a corner 3 feet away (sort of near field) you will have a lot of output so turn the volume down as needed. Don't worry about the couch or the driver facing it, no problem. A "Y" connector into both inputs is good. Even computer models for room placement rarely work out so get some cable and try different locations if you have placement options. Good Luck,
Curt

Rus Bowisc

Stunt Coordinator
I made a more accurate measurement... the CHT-15's woofer is 5' from the side of the sofa. From center seating area of the sofa, add another 3 feet to that. Sorry, the Velo is so huge, I may have exaggerated the distance visually.

I have the input setting on the Velo set to around "10 o'clock", and this seems to work well. It may come down to about "9 o'clock" as I listened some more last night. Seems like placement with the CHT-15 has been more difficult to nail-down as opposed to the CHT-10.

I have a Goldline RTA that has been helping me with finding optimum placement for the sub, as well as a few "Test" CD's consisting of test tones, sweeps, filters, etc.

Did any of you find that there was a burn-in period for the CHT-15's woofer? Should I run it "hot" for a few hours?

On the Velodyne's specs, it says there is 12dB/octave slope (24dB ultimate)... what does this latter half represent?

My African Grey seems to love those sub-frequencies... he keeps bobbing his head up and down to some rock music. ;)

Rus

Curt C

Agent
Rus,
Trust your bird. Take your time, you have a serious subwoofer. My experience is, no burn in required. You will however get more used to the sub and what it can do. The Velodyne's crossover (low pass) works this way; at crossover point it's 12db and goes out close to an octave and picks up another 36db in the amp section for an ultimate 48db (not 24). This cascade design has less phase shift at crossover point. For instance if you were using the Velodyne's internal low pass crossover and you had the dial set to 60hz, you would be down about 12db at 60hz and down about 48db at 120hz.
Curt

Rus Bowisc

Stunt Coordinator
Curt, no wonder I'm hearing what appears to be the steeper slope with the CHT-15, as opposed to the "10".

On the CHT-10, I'd set it to 80Hz (internal x-over), and still feel a smoother transition...

But on the CHT-15, it seems to cross-over much quicker, so I may have to raise the x-point to 90Hz. I know I'm close to getting it where I feel is best.

Where can I find this info? I don't doubt what you say... but I haven't been able to find much info online in regards to the CHT-15, other than what the manual says.

My AVR125 manual (receiver) is not clear on exactly what the cross-over points are when setting speakers to "small"... but I'm guessing it's around 100Hz.

I'll just have to use the RTA and my ears.

Thanks again.....

Rus

Curt C

Agent
Rus,
Confusing huh? Here's the answer. The CHT-15 amp is a different design than the other CHT models. This powerful amp was originally used in the VA1215X. The CHT-15 does indeed have a 48db ultimate slope, whereas the other CHT amps are 24db ultimate. I am told this will be corrected on the Website immediately. As you know you may bypass the Velodyne's crossover and use the HK internal one. When doing that I would recommend calling your speakers small to avoid any overlap or competition from the other speakers. I certainly suggest experimenting and see what works best. Trust your ears.
Curt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks