1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

vcr/dvd combo players

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Art W, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Art W

Art W Member

Does anyone know if any of the dvd/vcr combo machines have the zoom feature I am looking for? I want the zoom feature that will take a widescreen picture and put it in full screen. I don't want the zoom feature that just blows up the screen to oversize so you can zoom in on a certain section. This player is being hooked up to a 25' inch tv. So picture size is crtical. My mom won't watch a small widesreen picture. PLEASE HELP![​IMG]

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Well-Known Member

Dunno, Art, as those combo players tend to be very much on the low-end scale of things--i.e., not all that great to begin with. However, please be advised that Home Theater Forum is not the place to solicit advice about do-it-yourself panning and scanning. This is an OAR-advocacy site. Sorry! [​IMG]

3. Art W

Art W Member

THANKS , for the info, JACK

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Well-Known Member

Well, they can play VHS tapes, too [​IMG]

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt Well-Known Member

Wayne
    Art, It would probably just be best to get a stand-alone DVD player with a zoom feature like you want.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

6. Art W

Art W Member

Hi Wayne, I agree with you, but my mom does not have room for another piece of equipment. She will be moving out a vcr so she wants a vcr back.[​IMG]

7. ThomasL

ThomasL Well-Known Member

Toshiba is the only major brand I can think of that includes some decent zoom options (I know Sony doesn't include any zoom options) but I don't know if they make combo players. Are you sure you can't fit both a vcr and dvd in the same space? current dvd players have a very small footprint, some being less than 3 inches tall.

cheers,

--tom

8. Art W

Art W Member

HI TOM, yes I am sure she does not have room for another piece of equipment. THANKS for the tip.

9. John-Miles

John-Miles Well-Known Member

just a few points, who needs a big picture if you dont get all of it? I mean how impressive would the Sistine Chapel have been if the whole ceiling had just held one brush stroke, sure it would ahve been a big one, but where is the art?
    and secondly you dont really need a zoom, i mean in a combo player you can watch VHS tapes (usually pan and scan anyway) and DVD in wonderful widescreen.
    and also most TV's or etertainment centers have room on top for a new device [​IMG] not as pretty as in a nice shelf, but stacking works [​IMG]
    good luck