What's new

Various thoughts about NEWS from the WB Chat! (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Chris,

You have now hijacked this thread long enough. The subject is NOT the snapper, it's about news from the chat.
I want you to stop discussing this topic here, because it has been discussed on the forum for so many times already at more appropriate places.
Consider this a serious warning.

(For your information: I simply LOVE the snapper. And they never brought me a damaged DVD like all other cases did now and then.
I don't want them to go away!)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Whiel snappers don't seem to damage the DVDs (which is more than i can say for amarays and alphas), the case get damaged far more easily than keepcases. I'd like to see clear keepcase be the norm. That way you can still do you interior art ala snapper but have the durability of a keep case. See the Futurama set for a good example.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
well,

I've been warned. Though I disagree with the warning, as I have kept well within topic (as have others), I'll leave it at that.

Cees - I was well aware that you prefer the snapper (as you've mentioned previously and I've frowned :) but you've explained why, as I have), hence my point that "save a few".

Glenn got deleted?
I will post no more on the snapper in this THREAD (I had already).

bring WYATT EARP on! JNH rocks (with his score)!
I was waiting for the Police Academy movies as well.
And the anamorphic VACATION series.

Warner is in fact one of my fave studios, since they've stopped DS discs! :emoji_thumbsup:

but that's in another thread, sorry.

let's see...fact is, the snapper does have aesthetic appeal. (FYI, I've had a few damaged discs in snappers, but no biggie. Customs also have a habit of slicing open the security seal on the FRONT for some reason, leaving cut marks on the artwork, but the discs remain safe thank goodness.)

the 2 disc SE's are great.

DTS - who knows.

cheers and thanks

peace out :)

Erin C

Stunt Coordinator
Wyatt Earp finally I can see it W I D E
and Chevy Chase in digital,it just doesn't get much better than that!

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I just watched Swing Time in my film class today, and after researching the chat transcript, I am ecstatic about the following statement:

"We are also working on Fred & Ginger as well as several other choice gems from that library. "
She may not be up to par with Grace Kelly (and really, who is? ;) ), but Ginger Rogers is no wallflower either.... :b

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Can't wait for Swing Time.
it was hard to part with the Criterion LD, but i'm sure WB will make a nice dvd.
i think they will be releasing Top Hat first though (unless they both come at the same time).
weren't both of these supposed to be out in '03?

funny, i was just re-reading the chat transcript again this morning.
i honestly didn't give them enough credit earlier.
That was a GREAT chat!
the guys from WB were clearly enthusiastic and their responses were very enjoyable.
is there any doubt, there are some sincere film lovers over there?

just watched The Harvey Girls last night.
not the best musical i've ever seen, but an absolutely delightful disc.
Gorgeous PQ, and the stereo mix for " Atchison, Topeka, and the Santa fe" sounded sublime. what a great extra!

Good job , guys!

Derek_McL

Second Unit
"weren't both of these supposed to be out in '03 ?"

Indeed but Warners didn't actually produce the films originally it was RKO. Maybe that's one of the reasons why the Fred and Ginger films continue to be worked on : the assessment of the RKO library that the films were in a poor state was made a couple of years ago yet we're still waiting. Musicals as well just don't seem to be high up on studio release priorities.

TimJS

Second Unit
Thought I'd bump this thread, digitallyobsessed has posted an interview with George Feltenstein here . Mentions Garbo, Kong, etc.

Tim

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
that's a great interview.
my first impulse is to be cynical-it's almost too good to be true- to see an attitude like that in a position that matters.
its also wonderful to hear that everything has met expectations so far.
i only hope George holds his position for many years to come.

Queen Christina is on the short list of most wanted titles now, and it looks like it should make it in 2005.
having a ballpark date keeps the anxiousness in check.

I constantly peruse all the chat rooms and websites and news groups to see what the people are saying.
if only someone like Feltenstein were in charge over at Universal...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Heh...sounds like half the threads here at HTF! :wink: :laugh:

Well, I betcha Mr. Feltenstein will be THRILLED if that on-again, off-again Warner/MGM merger ever goes through, and he can again play in the MGM library of films. Talks have begun once more, if you can believe it (free registration required to view that link).

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Thanks for the article. It's a great find.

I am also looking forward to those Garbo titles, and having not only Queen Christina, but most likely Ninotchka released as well. :emoji_thumbsup: :D

In other news, I think it's safe to say that Warner has been the studio of the year for 2003. They have just improved tremendously and have become so efficient at giving the consumers classic titles with great transfers and features alongside their newer releases that the only complaint one ever hears about them anymore is with their use of snappers - and even that has been slowly going away with such titles as T3 and The Matrix Reloaded. They've got a lot better in regards to OAR as well, replacing old MAR titles. Frankly, this article leads me to believe that unless another studio really steps it up Warner will be studio of the year for quite a while.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Now some of what people ask for is just unrealistic. I mean, I recently read a comment from someone about a very, very obscure, unimportant film from the 1980s that grossed two million dollars that I never even put on laserdisc, and somebody was saying, "Oh, Warner Bros. should do a two-disc special edition." Well, that's obviously absurd.

Heh...sounds like half the threads here at HTF!
We can always fantasize. :D :D

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
Great article, indeed.

In other news, I think it's safe to say that Warner has been the studio of the year for 2003. They have just improved tremendously and have become so efficient at giving the consumers classic titles with great transfers and features alongside their newer releases that the only complaint one ever hears about them anymore is with their use of snappers - and even that has been slowly going away with such titles as T3 and The Matrix Reloaded. They've got a lot better in regards to OAR as well, replacing old MAR titles. Frankly, this article leads me to believe that unless another studio really steps it up Warner will be studio of the year for quite a while.
I have to certainly agree with this statement. Most of my favorite releases this year have been from WB, and the turnaround there from the bleak days of not-so-long-ago has been astounding. WB is unquestionably the studio of the year in my book.:emoji_thumbsup:

TimJS

Second Unit
I hope that Mr.Feltenstein is aware that there are 'niche' distributors and that if a title should prove to be 'unrealistic' for WB, & that the average Jean Harlow fan would appreciate any efforts made to make a title available through the niche channel of distribution.

Yours, nichely,
Tim

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I'm confused... I couldn't read through every post but is this a recent thread?

I just bought the Warner Classics box-set and now I'm reading about an updated deluxe edition of Robin Hood, Yankee Doodle & Tresure Of Sierra Madre..?

Same w/ the National Lampoon box-set... this is all very confusing!

Also, what will the 60th Anniversary Ed. of Casablanca have as far as supplements that wasn't featured in the limited box-set and same deal w/ Once Upon A Time In America... both of which I own and will not be happy to double dip on considering they seemed like the definitive versions...

Someone please clear all of this up, and if this is in fact an older thread, though all replies seem to be from 'Dec. 21-23', please start a new topic to avoid confusion rather than reviving old threads!!!

Thanks.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Nevermind. I found my answer, though logically it shouldn't have been difficult to figure out...

:b

Please don't revive old threads, it can get confusing - I almost went back and edited my DVD list!

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I don't know how much $$$$ the "A Little Romance" DVD has made so far, but I hope it is enough to convince WB that films about love will make money. I would have liked to have asked about these films at the last WB chat but I was not afforded a chance. So I'd like to see these three films about love released.

1. "Crossing Delancey" - A really wonderful romantic comedy
about a chance for love almost lost. This film packs some emotion, especially for anyone who has been in a similar situation. It had me crying at the end. I originally purchased this film as a blind buy on Laserdisc. It has been a top ten favorite ever since.

2. "Clara's Heart" - A very good film about love growing between two persons from really different worlds. An excellent performance by Whoopi. Again this film was bought as a blind buy on Laserdisc. I've never regretted the purchase.

3. "Rich and Famous" - An interesting portrayal of the love of two women friends & the loves in their lives as their lives unfold against the Literary Scene. Good performances by Bisset & Bergen.

Please Take a chance on "Love" Warner Bros & release these catalog titles!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks