What's new

Variable Audio Output? (1 Viewer)

Doug Hess

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Doug Hess
Okay, videophiles, I could use your help. The tube TV in my bedroom appears to finally be ready to ride off into the big trash heap in the sky, and I guess that means it's going to be time for a new flat panel.

I've always been a plasma guy, but for the bedroom I think I'd prefer LED-lit LCD. I'd like one with a matte screen, but that's not what I'd call a deal-breaker.

But the hardest part is going to be finding a TV with variable analog audio outs. This used to be found on nearly any TV, and now it's nearly impossible to find. I've found a Vizio with that elusive feature, but I have a reflexive (and maybe irrational) aversion to Vizio.

So here's the question: Is there a decent but not-too-expensive TV, 47-50", that has variable outs? What would you recommend?

-Doug

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Variable output(especially analog) has practically died.

Toshiba, last I checked, still had it...both ways.

That isn't a feature I look for anymore in TV. As long as it has a toslink(or coax) I'm good to go. I haven't listened to a TV in ages and when I design a theater, the only thing I check for is an audio output on the TV. 95% of people buy soundbars(of those w/o full blown theaters. The concept of "amp and a pair of speakers" is difficult for Joe Blow to grasp.. :rolleyes: ).

I assume you want an external amp and a pair of speakers. If Vizio makes you cringe(which it should)...try Toshiba. Even theirs w/o analog are still variable on the digital and you can run a optical/RCA converter to achieve the same result.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way as well...stay away from LCD/DVD-BD combos. All of them have audio outputs.

But, the audio output on them is just for the DVD-BD part.

Doug Hess

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Doug Hess
Thanks, Schan. You're right about why I want it. I have a bedroom system and want to use the TV to control the volume. I'll take a look at Toshiba!

-Doug

P.S. Did you know that the "tos" in "toslink" actually comes from Toshiba? It's true. :P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks