What's new

Vanilla Sky Director's Cut? (1 Viewer)

Joel C

Screenwriter
Remember Cameron Crowe saying there would be a 2-disc director's cut of Vanilla Sky released eventually? Well, it has been a year since the film was in theaters, and, what, eight months since the DVD came out? Any word on the SE? I hope it wasn't just a rumor, as I know there are a number of deleted scenes.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I myself have been waiting on the DC to see Vanilla Sky at all. I've only ever seen the Almost Famous Bootleg Cut. I was so happy with that version, I didn't feel I should bother with the original version of VS.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I thought the theatrical cut of Vanilla Sky was great. Just curious-what do those wanting a director's cut think the movie needs added back to it? I thought it made sense as is...

Greg Mariotti

Stunt Coordinator
There was never an intention to do a director's cut, just a new dvd with more extra features (or possibly just a bonus disc)......

This is from my site (culled from a June 2002 interview I did with Cameron) and there's really nothing new to report. I wouldn't expect to see anything until 2004. A new Singles DVD is next for this year.....

The other featurette "Hitting It Hard" is a 9 1/2 minute look at Cameron's world wide press tour (with Tom Cruise and Penelope Cruz). The big news here is that they are also working on a longer version of this (60 - 90 minutes) which should hopefully see a release in a year or two. There was a very short window for the gang to cull everything they wanted for the DVD and it just couldn't happen. With a May 21st release, they really only had a few months to get it ready, so we can look forward to a separate DVD release of additional things (such as the longer "Hitting It Hard", deleted scenes, etc.) ala The Matrix Revisited or possibly in a Super Duper 2 Disc Special Edition (like the Untitled DVD). Be patient, this will get done when it's done, so don't expect anything for awhile (like 12 - 24 months).

Thanks

James Zos

Supporting Actor
Anyone who wants to see the real directors cut of this movie should watch Open Your Eyes. It doesn't have Tom Cruise, but it is the original - and far superior - version of the film, before Hollywood got their hands on it.

Paul-Gunther

Stunt Coordinator
I actually think Vanilla Sky is better than Open Your Eyes. I think it had better dialogue and performances. I saw Open Your Eyes first, and was pleasantly surprised by how much better Vanilla Sky was.

As for a director's cut, I find it unlikely, as VS is already longer than OYE. I can think of nothing substantial that they could add.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
If anything, Vanilla Sky should be released in a shorter cut. The protracted ending just seems to go on an on and on. Abre Los Ojos was much more effective in that respect as it did not wear out its welcome trying to graft gratuitous sentimentality and poignance by repeatedly spelling out its own subtext.

I like both films, but prefer the original.

Regards,

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Nice to hear about the Singles:SE coming soon.

I was on the fence about grabbing it for $6, but I'll put it off for now.

-Chad

JamieD

Supporting Actor
The conversation/arguement about Vanilla Sky and its predecessor has been had before, in many other threads, so I think we should keep this on topic, as it tends to get a bit heated.. I'd love to see a special edition of this movie.

Scott McAllister

Stunt Coordinator
Like this movie needs a director's cut to begin with. I thought it contained all the "suck" I could handle, but that's just m.h.o.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
Given the chilly audience reception and disappointing business VANILLA SKY did, why would you expect to see yet another DVD released for it so soon? Throw in the fact that it's PARAMOUNT and this probably a pipe dream and little more.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I was always curious about this. There was some stuff in the trailer that looked great but was not in, like him with a gun and a SWAT team I seem to recall.

Greg Mariotti

Stunt Coordinator
nothing new to report. I expect we'll see a new vanilla sky dvd (not a director's cut, just more extra features, some deleted scenes, etc.) and the singles DVD sometime in 2004. Cameron is very busy with Elizabethtown right now.

Thanks

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Vanilla Sky had decent word of mouth and enjoyed a nice, leggy run at the box office. It opened with a modest $25 million but went on to make over $100 million for a multiplier of 4. That's very good for a major studio film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks