1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Van Helsing Trailer

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ross Williams, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Well-Known Member

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/van_helsing/

The look of the film seems good, except the monsters may be a bit to CGish. The tone of the trailer is fairly serious, but I don't really believe it is going to be. The history of Steven Sommers tells me this is going to be more jokey than is let on here. Overall it looks like it will be some entertaining cheese.

Who was the giant monster he was fighting towards the end? It didn't seem like it was Frankenstein's Monster that we saw earlier.

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Well-Known Member

Malcolm
    Oh man, I cannot WAIT for this film! Gotta be my most anticipated of 2004. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And I love how the Universal logo morphs into the full moon. [​IMG]

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Ron
    You and I both Malcolm.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

4. David Rogers

David Rogers Well-Known Member

Oh man! Been looking forward to this ever since I heard the magic words (Hugh Jackman) ... but the trailer looks absolutely amazing! Good production values, costuming and effects looking good ... can't wait for May!

5. JohnE

JohnE Well-Known Member

Very nice trailer. This movie looks like it's going to be a blast.[​IMG]

6. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Well-Known Member

Can't wait for this one. Gotta be better than Underworld at least.

7. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Well-Known Member

I have been looking forward to this one as well, but something about the trailer left me a little worried. As Ross mentioned, some of the CGI was a bit too obvious, but that could improve by release. Kate Beckinsale looks VERY nice in this one. Honestly, I think my main worry is Hugh Jackman himself. Something about his delivery just didn't strike me as much as I had hoped it would.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that they filmed part of this right across the street from my work. It was the exterior of a castle with a large drawbridge; didn't notice it in the trailer.

8. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee

It looked inspired by the LXG take on Mr. Hyde. (shudder)

9. ThomasC

ThomasC Well-Known Member

Kate Beckinsale and Hugh Jackman in an action film...I'm there.

10. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Well-Known Member

I gotta say, this one looks mighty intriguing!! After thoroughly enjoying "Underworld" I am really anticipating this one. With the "Dawn of the Dead" remake and this one coming out at about the same time, it's gonna be a great spring for us horror buffs!!!!!!!

11. Adam_ME

Adam_ME Well-Known Member

The trailers for The Mummy made the movie look serious as well. It would be nice if Sommers played it straight, but even if he wanted to(and I don't think he's capable of it), I doubt Universal would let him. This is a big budget summer blockbuster. It has to have jokes and the obligatory comic relief characters.

12. Paul_Sjordal

Paul_Sjordal Well-Known Member

Bah! I would rather they made a live-action version of that Hellsing anime.

Little girl&hellip big gun! [​IMG]

13. CoreyII

CoreyII Well-Known Member

Hey Paul_Sjordal, I totally agree with you. I really love the Hellsing anime series. Alucard could give Vampire Hunter D a serious run for his money, but Blade could beat them both [​IMG]. Still, I'll give the flick a chance because I enjoyed the first Mummy film by Sommers.

Having said that I must admit I might be heading toward the anti-Jackman club. You put some fake whiskers on a guy let him play Wolverine and all of sudden Hollywood thinks he's the end all, be all of action heroes. The reason why Im buggin is because I've heard from more than one source that Jackman may be the next 007[​IMG] .

If VanHelsing is a hit which I'm 99.9% sure it will be, than the idea of Jackman playing James Bond will become a harsh reality. The idea of casting this guy as Ian Fleming's immortal creation is Hollywood once again cashing in on the latest thing instead of really doing it's homework.

Like Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, Josh Hartnett, Heath Ledger, and Orlando Bloom, Hugh Jackman is just another pretty boy made up to look tough.

14. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Well-Known Member

I hope his dialogue delivery is better in the movie than it is in that trailer. He sounds like he is reading off cue cards. About the most natural sounding line was, "now that I have your attention." The rest of it sounds flat and phoned in. The dialogue also seems anachronistic for the time period being depicted.

15. Paul_Sjordal

Paul_Sjordal Well-Known Member

On the plus side, I noticed they've observing the anime floppy hat rule (for whatever reason, vampire hunters in anime all wear big floppy hats). [​IMG]

16. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Well-Known Member

It looks like it might be fun. I hope they tighten up some of the CG. The giant one-armed monster was especially bad.

17. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Well-Known Member

The trailer left me a bit cold. I'll still go see it, but
    I have that LXG vibe already, and that doesn't bode well.

18. StevenFC

StevenFC Well-Known Member

I kind of get that feeling also Jordan. It has the look of a big bomb to me. Maybe it's just the trailer. I hope so. It seems like this type of movie is becoming the flavor of the day. And it's a fine line between X2: X-Men United and LXG.

19. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Well-Known Member

I'd say Jackman and Damon do not fall in that type group, but ok. I'm looking forward to this one, I really enjoy Jackman.

I could definately see him as a bond, but I don't want him to do it because those movies have been pretty bad for a while now.

20. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Well-Known Member

Well see about this one...I was liking it right up until that last CGI monster[​IMG]

As for Jackman i like him as an actor but he's NOT Bond material.