What's new

Valley and Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls DVDS on June 13th See Post #23 (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I've never understood "camp". I feel terribly left out. I mean, I like cheesy movies as much as the next guy but I've never understood the giggling and shrieking at bad movies ..... I just kind of groan and roll my eyes but they ARE kind of fun anyway.

I'll be purchasing both films, highly anticipated.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
That's what makes BTVOTD so great is that it's an intentionally funny schlock masterpiece, quite the rarity. One of the most brilliantly funny scripts ever penned, courtesy of Roger Ebert. Thanks Rog!

ScottLloyd

Stunt Coordinator
The listing doesn't say but it says this for VotD:

English Stereo & Mono
Spanish Mono

I'm afraid that they'll probably do the same for BtVotD.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
What's sad is that the long-awaited CD soundtrack of BTVOTD has far less clarity than the ancient vinyl. Instruments that were quite audible are now almost drowned out. Perhaps the master tapes degenerated over time.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Looking at my copy of Valley Of The Dolls how much more mod can you get than a pink keepcase? And all of those special features! The fold out insert and envelope containing four lobby cards - dig it baby.

Disc One contains the audio commentary and a feature " Trivia Overdose " A Pill Popping Guide that enables on screen notes so you can learn all the well, trivia about this film. Love the 3 pill icon next the sentence(s)! Then you get a 48 minute Feature " Gotta Get Off This Merry Go Round " documentary.

Next a Stills Gallery which features the three main characters:

Anne Wells
Neely O'Hara
Jennifer North Polar

And:

Costume Design
Production Snapshots
Sets and Location

Disc Two contains some Featurettes :

The Divine Miss Susann
The Dish On Dolls
Hollywood Backstory " Valley Of The Dolls"

Next there is "From The Medicine Chest"
A secret stash of archival footage

This contains: Valley Of The Dolls - A World Premier Voyage (1967)
Jacqueline Susann and the " Valley Of The Dolls " (1967)
Screen Tests - Sharon Tate & Tony Scotti
- Sharon Tate
- Tony Scotti Serenading
- Barbara Parkins as Neely O'Hara
TV Spots and Original Theatrical Trailers

Followed by " You've Got Talent " Karaoke - Follow the Bouncing Doll

This contains three numbers including the theme song that have the words displayed as the song plays.

Finally there is "Musical Numbers" from Valley Of the Dolls Original Soundtrack which allows you to play 11 selections from the film singularly or as a " play all ".

I may have missed something but this is pretty well all of the extras. Looks like fun.

John Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Gilmore
Brent-

The original announcement mentioned the 1981 mini-series and the 1994 television series as extras. Are they indeed on the disc (maybe the flip-side?), or have they been totally left off?

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
John - I checked both discs ( single sided ) and they are not included from what I saw and it would have been obvious had Fox made them available.

John Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Gilmore
Thanks Brent. While it would have been cool to have these, they would have taken up lots of precious disc space (the '81 mini-series alone runs over 3 hrs!), and the extras that are there look to be very good. Can't wait to get my copy!

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator
Hi everyone!
Believe or not, I haven't seen this.
Is this movie so bad that is good, or just a plain and dated soap? Bad as Mommie dearest but as entertaining? Or so, so bad you want to throw up but can't help watching like Showgirls?
I'm planning a blind buy but I would like to be warned in case.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I thought it was boring melodrama. It's either way overacted (Patty Duke) or way underacted (Sharon Tate). I didn't like it as camp or as a serious film - it bored me!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm old enough to have seen VALLEY OF THE DOLLS at the theater (I was a senior in high school), and I can promise you no one laughed at it. It was considered a serious drama. Now, maybe in sophisticated urban markets, people howled at it, but in my little southern town, no one did.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Alas, I was born deficient of the "camp" gene, so I'm not a judge of the so called "so bad it's good movies". To me a movie is either good, bad or indifferent.

That being said, Valley Of The Dolls is a trash masterpiece. Neither as bad as its camp followers suggest but certainly nowhere near acceptable as a decent movie. It's trash, junk, whatever you want to call it but with just enough truth to validate its existence. I've been on enough film sets to recognize both the novel and film have one foot grounded in the reality of the world it depicts and the other foot steeped in the lurid pulp potboilers of the secretarial pool. Again, I'm generalizing so please no flaming from secretaries or their boyfriends/husbands. It's a one of a kind film and among trash films (Butterfield 8, The Carpetbaggers, The Oscar etc.), the greatest of them all.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I have to admit to liking the " groovy " soundtrack, the instrumentals are a great 60's treat and of course the main theme sung by Dionne Warwick - can't say much about the other vocal tracks though, passable I guess. They appear to be Stereo recordings - I'm referring to the ones in the extra features.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I have been waiting for this DVD, since, the advent of DVD !!!!!!!!!!!
FINALLY IT HAS HAPPENED !!!!!!!!!
ALL I CAN SAY IS WHAT TOOK SO LONGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG ?????????????????

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Are GARLANDS screen tests included ?
Or, any of her scenes ? Or did she get that far ??

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

She filmed some wardrobe tests (the same costume designs Susan Hayward eventually wore in the film), but no actual scenes. Supposedly these tests on are the disc, but I don't have my copy yet, so I can't say for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks