What's new

"V: The Second Generation" possible for NBC (1 Viewer)

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I don't know if they are going to do anything to contradict the second mini-series or the TV series, maybe they just aren't going to dwell on it. It sounds like the movie will begin with a war torn Earth still fighting the aliens after 20 years, which makes sense. They don't have to go out of their way to create continuity errors; but rather just take the story in the direction they want without going into to all the back history of the red dust, star child, and all of that. That way, the story can work if one has seen only the original mini-series; and we can just take the events of TFB and the series as another subplot in a larger story.

To ignore the rest would be the lazy way out. Even if Johnson wasn't happy with what happened, a little creative writing can solve it easily. This is the same thing as the Halloween series did, and it was a dumb idea then. Even if previous sequels weren't so good, why not come up with an inventive way around it rather than just throw in the towel and keep starting over?

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
If they ignore the second mini series then Ham Tyler won't exist!:eek:

Maybe it could be taken as an alternate universe where the red dust plan didn't work.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the red dust had died out. Aliens advanced enough to travel faster than light surely can invent an antibiotic :)

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
All I want is Michael Ironside as Ham Tyler returning. He was the Batman to Marc Singer's Superman and Faye Grant's Wonder Woman. Hated it when he left the show, but then again the show wasn't much of anything either.

Can Automan be far behind?

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Johnson had invented the character of Ham Tyler before abandoning TFB, but his vision was a different approach. (His Ham was in a wheelchair.) That said, I loved the Michael Ironside character. (I'm not the only one. Joe Straczynski of Babylon 5 fame was commissioned at one point to write a script for a revival of V, and Tyler was the only original character in it.)

To be honest, though, downplaying/ignoring TFB and the series is the best approach -- I'd rather have Johnson expand on his ideas rather than clean up other people's messes. I'm sure there were some elements of TFB that represented his original intention, and those may well show up. Don't hold your breath for Kyle Bates or Lydia, though.

Ryan

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
Johnson said that the original story was much in a way an allegory to the holocaust and the rise of evil, and the slow integration of normal people swearing allegiance to an awful regime through fear and the people that resist such a thing. I wonder if the new series will bear such a tone, such as undertones to Iraq and such...?

Matt Pasant

Second Unit
I wonder if the new series will bear such a tone, such as undertones to Iraq and such...?
Yeah, but if they did that then wouldn't it abandon the spirit and tone of the first?

I bet they stick with that kind of approach. Well who knows. But I dont think it would be insert policatical regieme here...

I thought Johnson said he really wanted to make a telefilm about the holocaust but NBC wouldn't allow it. So instead of Nazi's he had aliens in bright red uniforms from the planet Sirius (I think that was it). The Visitors symbol in is about 2 pencil marks from being a swastika.

-- Matt

Gruson

Second Unit
Tyler was my favorite character.

Oh, Elizabeth from the series (also Friday 13th part 6) was VERY nice eye candy. :)

I hope they keep the laser sound effect and the music though....and of course, the uniforms!

Shock Troopers own!

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
My current theory is that the powerful new ally is the Visitors enemy that Julie and Elias were setting up communications sattellites to send a message to at the end of V:TB. She made a comment that it may take years or even decades for the message to reach them.

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Think of V and V:FB as Highlander and Highlander 2; Ken's coming back to make V-20, or Highlander 3.

Of course, every time I try to draw a parallel, I wind up getting in trouble....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks