What's new

"V" The Complete Series (1 Viewer)

DougFND

Stunt Coordinator
I really enjoyed both mini-series as a 13-year-old and also enjoyed them during repeat viewings in my late twenties. I'm looking forward to the new one and hope it gets made before the principles are too old.

As for the series, I didn't see all of them when they aired. I remember being disappointed at what I did see. Maybe they were just missing the "epic" quality of the mini-series? Regardless, I may pick up a set to revisit.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
If they do make the new one, how are they going to explain the returning cast who played visitors aging like 20 years? If they just wore human suits, why would they now wear aged skins?

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Because if Johnson does a new miniseries that ignores the second miniseries then the knowledge of the Visitors true appearance would still be a well-guarded secret.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Now I remember watching this, but I thought it was just a miniseries not a tv series.

I remember things like, ELizabeth ( I think that was her name)the girl that fell in love with one of the lizzard guys got pregnant by him. I remember she had this green ring around her neck. I also remember they ( all the people that went against the lizzards) took shelter in some old abandoned building and plotted against destroying them.

Wasn't Robert England in this?

My mother bought me a disc of it, but it was only the first episode or part of the series... So this new one that is out is allof them?

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Yes, I suppose that is a good point. I keep forgetting that it was in T.F.B. where the visitors were exposed on National Television, but even then, the visitors covered it with a subsequent fake broadcast.

Ric,

I heard a rumor about this a year or two ago. I also remember JMS (writer and creator of Babylon 5) posting on his newsgroup that he had either submitted a script with Kennith Johnson, or one for him, on a "next-gen" V movie of sorts. It too was to take place some 20 years after the events in :V the Final Battle." I don't know if he posted any details, but it was supposed to have something to do with the "enemy" of the Visitors...the ones the resistance send the message to in the end of the first Miniseries. Can anyone back me up or add more to this? My memory is failing me.

Also I think the original "V" was fantastic. I think "V:The Final Battle" was just OK. Nothing special, not bad, but didn't live up to the original Miniseries. I never really watched the series, heard bad things about it, and the fact that the creator, Kennith Johnson had nothing to do with it, kinda makes me not care to even see it.

Actually, I remember Kennith Johnson didn't have anything to do with "V The Final Battle" either...which is probably why it didnt measure up either.

Actually after doing some digging I sort-of stand corrected.

It seems that the Next-Gen "V" that NBC was flirting with last year WAS written by Kennith Johnson, and is set 20 years after "V" concluded.

JMS did try to revive "V" back in 1994 it seems and submitted a script to WB, but it was never acted on I believe due to budgeting issues. A part of his script can be found on his newsgroup:

groups.google.com/groups?selm=CqC1EB.1r1%40murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU

(add http before the above line, as I can't yet post URLs).

He also commented last year, when he heard that Kennith was taking a stab at reviving "V," that he wished him luck and that if anyone could pull off reviving the series, Kennith could.

Of course now it seems Kennith's attempt has also fallen by the wayside. Oh well. :frowning:

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
My understanding is that the new miniseries was to have ignored TFB and the Series. Now, however, I've heard it may allow for events in Final Battle.

I think the 20 years mark makes for a great opportunity to revisit the V universe. If you think back to the end of "The Beginning", Julie and Elias start sending a message to the Visitor's potential enemy. This is completely dropped in TFB, but would make for an excellent story this time around. Remember, Julie commented that it might take years, or decades, for the message to be received and acted upon.

Much as I still love the series for guilty pleasure value (I love the characters and concepts), I wouldn't be upset if the series were ignored. After all, I'd rather have my favorite characters alive than dead. If you read the script for the conclusion to the cliffhanger, you'll find that my favorite character dies.

I'd like to see him include the history of TFB, but I won't be offended if he does not.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Was watching a bit of this last night. I think it would have been great if they digitally restored the reverb in the Visitor's voices that were dropped in the series. How hard could it have been? You could probably do it with free sound editing software you can download from the internet. But I guess it seems obvious that WB wasn't really interested in putting any real effort into this set. Just wanted to slap it onto discs and put it out for sale. But I suppose we should be lucky it was released at all and at least they did not MAR it to 16:9. The irony is that if more effort was put into this, perhaps it would have gotten a 16:9 MAR.

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
So help me to understand something here...

Is this complete series that is out the series that aired after the mini series? After V:The Final Battle? If I am not mistaken ( my memory may be a bit hazy)did the original miniseries only run for two nights? I have a dvd that is basically the first part of what I remember to be the miniseries.

I am curious about the dvd's, my mother who is a fan of the show is looking into getting them, but I am not completely sure I know what is what.

What exactly is this set of?

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
'V - The Original Miniseries' contains the two 90-minute episodes that aired as 'V' in May 1983.

'V - The Final Battle' contains the three 90-minute episodes that aired as 'V - The Final Battle' in May 1984.

'V - The Complete Series' contains the 19 45-minute episodes that aired as 'V' from October 1984 to March 1985.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
I enjoyed it all. well I haven't seen the TV series since it was out 20 years ago. So I don't remember much I didn't have the sci-fi channel when they aired it, but the 2 mini series had been on various channels since the NBC broadcasts. I picked up both mini series on the tuesdays that it came out and will pick up the tv series as well. The only that kept me was other priorities ($) and and i have a lot of dvds backed up to watch. I really look forward to it since I haven't seen the show in sooooo long.

I read a few months ago about the new series as mentioned here on this thread too and it said it will ignore the tv show, and take place after the Final battle ends.

so maybe they can pick it up better this time?

There is a great opportunity here. Bt why NBC? We all know how horrible the networks are with science fiction.

Maybe they should just do the 20 years later as a mini series?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

These are the 19 one-hour episodes that aired on Friday nights, and takes place after V: The Final Battle, which itself, aired after V.

Of the three releases out there, this one is the last one in the chronology.

If you need an episode guide to set you straight, go here.

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
I vote for Moore to rewrite V :)

V was easily one of my favorite sci fi movies from when I was younger.

The Final Battle was cheesy, but hey I was 12.

If NBC were to continue the story after V and do a better job, then thats fine with me. I read JMS's script and it certaintly sounds interesting but I bet it would get some more play with the end of the world mentality on TV and in the Movies right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks