What's new

V for Vendetta is spectacular (1 Viewer)

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Just happened to be in at my local retailer to check out the HD-DVD selection, and wouldn't you know they had 2 copies of V for Vendetta. Picked one up and watched it this afternoon. All I can say is the PQ/SQ is reference material. A must buy.

Post Edited by Administrator, please do not name retailers that break street dates! Thank you

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I was wondering if this had been pushed back or not. I was at work today and we did not even have the HD version in our system yet.
Now I'm miffed that it isn't there.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Mine just shipped, and should be here Friday (along with my Ultimate Mission Collection and Slither).

Brian Kaz

Second Unit
Got this today thru Netflix. The sound is nice. Looks good for the most part, but I found it noisy in dark scenes (with slight posterization in night skies) and a bit soft compared to Batman and Riddick. Watching on 110" with Sony Pearl.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
No shipping notice from amazon yet...hopefully I'll get it by the end of the week. :)

You guys are making me jealous.

Brian, I hate you ;) :)

LarryH

Supporting Actor

Joy! Mine is shipping soon. Hopefully it'll be here in a week or so.

Update: 24 hours later and it still says Shipping Soon We are preparing these items for shipment and this portion of your order cannot be canceled or changed.

How bloomin' long does it take to prepare a shipment, or are they just locking me out from cancelling the order!

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I was kidding Brian. :) Have heard WONDERFUL things about the Pearl. :cool:

Got my shipping notice this morning! V will be at my door this Friday!

The Missions Box set today and V on Friday. It's a fun time to be an HD-DVD guy...:)

Travis

Second Unit
Just watched it last night and I must agree 100%. I have watched Troy, Training Day, and Batman begins and was not blown away by the difference between DD+ and TrueHD. This movie seems to take full advantage of the increase in bitrate. At 10 under reference I was grinning like the Chesire cat. I have been holding off watching the movie as I always figured it would hit HDDVD. It was worth waiting for. This will have great replay value for quite some time. Next in line, MI3.

Dan M

Second Unit
Unlike most of you out there I have a few qualms about the sound on this title. I found dialogue levels to be all over the place. I had to adjust volume levels quite often to compensate for this. For example the opening narration by Natalie Portman was drowned out by background music as well as many dialogue passages by the main character V. Hugo Weaving tends to whisper alot of his lines behind a Guy Fawkes mask!

I have the latest firmware upgrade but I dont have the Dolby TruHD wired up to my receiver yet.

picture quality I have no problem with

Dan M

Second Unit
true but all of my other HD DVD's sound great in plain ol' Dolby D! Thats why I havent been in such a hurry to to run all those cables to my receiver.

dont get me wrong, V sounds very good minus the dialogue issues. And this is such a dialogue driven movie! I'm sure it sounds even better in TrueHD.

Great film BTW

YMMV

Cavan.B

Stunt Coordinator

To be fair, it was like this in the theatrical screening I saw and on the standard DVD. I think it's just the way the film is mixed, so I don't know if TrueHD will do anything for that issue.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have to agree about the dialogue levels also. Within the same scene V's voice can be very upfront and rich and then go to sounding more like talking from behind a mask. I'd have to go back and check, but I wonder if it relates to his position on the z-axis. I suppose this would be "realistic" but I don't know if that is necessarily a good thing.

V and Evey's voice levels can also be quite different within the same scene.

All that said, the difference was not great enough to have me pump up the volume, but it is noticeable when you go from hearing something comfortably than having to strain a bit to hear what follows.

I do remember having a hard time hearing some of V's alliterative spiel at the theatrical presentation.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
When I watched the SD I thought some of V's dialogue was hard to hear.

The dialogue on the trueHD track has a bit more clarity IMHO. I went back and forth watching it last night and finally decided on the truehd track over the DD

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

This certainly is not true true the Dolby-HD track. In fact, the first thing that struck me with the HD release was how much more refined the dialogue was on the HD version over the SD version. A quarter of the dialogue is difficult to hear on the SD release, and it sounds like they tweaked the dialogue track to emphasis it a tad. For this movie, with the long dialogues given, it is important to be able to hear and understand the actors. I think they did a superb job on the sound tracks.

Travis

Second Unit
I will agree that the soundtrack was excellent, but even in TruHD the dialog was tough to understand at times. Keep in mind this was at 10 under reference, so certainly loud enough to hear.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

WOW! WOW! WOW!

This is one of the the most amazing films I have ever seen!

You know, when V For Vendetta was released to theaters
I had heard terrific reviews about the film. Since I rarely go to the
movies anymore, I knew this was something I wanted to watch on DVD.

When the DVD came out a few months ago, HD-DVD had just
been born. I was very upset with Warner Brothers that they chose
not to release this title day-and-date, but the studio assured me
privately that they wanted to make certain that extra care was
given to this film's transfer before rushing it to release.

.....so I waited.

I was extremely anxious to watch the HD-DVD that arrived at
my door a few days ago. Usually, when anticipations run this
high, disappointment is expected. Not so. V For Vendetta
is the most unbelievable film I have ever watched.

....and having just finished watching it minutes ago I could not
wait to get on this forum and rave about it!

I was completely riveted to the screen for the film's entire
length. It has been such a long time since I have become so
completely immersed in a story like this one. I can go even
deeper into how the film's political message personally touched
me (being that today is Election Day), but alas, that conversation
is better suited for another forum.

The transfer on this HD-DVD is flawless. It is films like this that
were made for this format, and it made me feel so privileged to
be a HD-DVD owner.

V For Vendetta is this year's Batman Begins, and it's no
coincidence that something this wonderful has come from the very
same studio. Thank Goodness Warner Brothers took the extra
time to make this presentation look and sound as good as it does!

I think this film just has entered my list of top 3 all-time favorite films!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks