What's new

Using your PC as your music transport? (1 Viewer)

sam5001

Auditioning
Real Name
Sam
Sounds like a great system you've put together! (admin note, decided to peel off this post into separate thread in case people wanted to talk about the following topic)

Do you guys use your PC as your primary music transport/source?

I have recently crossed that bridge and have found great success.

I've been experimenting with different playback software and would like to hear others experiences.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I absolutely love Media Monkey. Song import is ridiculously easy, it links to several databases for track info (including Amazon in all countries which is great for cover art). It allows users to write macros to extend and even improve on features. The database can be shared across multiple PCs so my wife and I can both access if from our respective offices. It has a party mode where guests can select songs to add to the playlist without having full control of the program, etc. It supports WinAmp plugins, AND plays 5.1 music. I could go on forever...

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Yup, I use my notebook to send music to my receiver.

The only change I had to make to my system was I got an Audigy 2 ZS Notebook sound card which slid into the PCMCIA card slot on the side of the notebook, so that I could use an *optical* digital connection rather than the headphone jack/metal wire that was my notebook's only built-in option.

I needed to use optical because of some static and occasional ground loop humming that was being conducted by the metal wire/headphone jack solution. Plus, headphone jacks aren't the best for this kind of use.

The card with the optical out takes over for the built-in sound card. The new card slid into the PCMCIA card slot, I installed some drivers, and, I am listening to music now. (I’d picked up a 12′ optical audio cable earlier.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks