1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Using older Bose bass module in modern receiver

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by sailer1, Jun 6, 2009.

1. sailer1

sailer1 New Member

I am a newbie to this forum and request some help, if possible. I am not exactly dumber than a box of rocks concerning surround sound systems, but I am close.
    I am replacing a 15 year old entertainment system with individual components purchased as funds become available. I presently have a 52" Sharp LCD HD television and have recently purchased a Denon AVR-2309 CI 7.1 receiver. I specifically wanted this receiver because of power output, 4 HDMI outlets, AC outlets for cooling fan, expansion options, it's many capabilities and the name, which as long as I can remember has always been a plus.
    For speakers I would like to continue using the "Bose Acoustimass-3 Series lll Speaker System" purchased 15 years ago. This is a system comprised or 2- 3inch cube speakers and a bass module. A pair of wires for each speaker outputs from the receiver/amplifier and attaches to the input of the bass module. Wires then output from the bass module to each speaker. For this system I was using an older JVC stereo receiver which did not have any of the new fancy connections.
    I hope I described it suffeciently for anyone to understand my question. As I started reading the instructions for the Denon receiver I noticed that a subwoofer, which I assume is similar to the bass module that I have, is hooked into the receiver with a single wire going to a pre out connector on the back of the receiver. Panic! With all of the connections on the back of this receiver, can the bass module I have be somehow incorporated into this system I am putting together or am I going to end up paying a fortune for a subwoofer? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

2. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Well-Known Member

- You can connect the speakers the same way as your old system, speaker-level connection from your mains. You would set up the receiver to have "no sub", then treat the bose module + speakers as "large" front mains.

- Most of us are really not fans of Bose speaker systems. The bass module is really a "woofer" module, doesn't really qualify as a subwoofer, not getting the bass output of true subs. Everything is really about keeping the speakers small & aesthetically pleasing, but sound quality suffers.

I would recommend replacing the speakers. If money is an issue, I'd recommend a cheaper Onkyo or Yamaha rather than the Denon, they can match most all of the capabilities for $300-400 less. Speakers matter 100x more than the receiver for sound quality.

3. sailer1

sailer1 New Member

Thank you for the reply. I think I have it connected as you suggest but I also seem to have some speaker connection issues and I think I will have to get a different type of connector instead of pushing the wire into the alloted "screw" type connnector. As I do the Audessey speaker adjustment, the system powers down at different times in the process and I have to start over again. Polarities may be a problem. I have a lot to learn about this thing. Thank you again.

4. Patrick.C

Patrick.C Well-Known Member

You can still run a subwoofer in combination with your Bose system and I would recommend doing it. You don't have to spend a fortune on it either. You can pick up a Parts Express powered sub for less than $150. Your "no highs, no lows, gotta be Bose" system will benefit greatly from a sub. Trust me - I'm running two of these systems on different floors of my house after I lost the WAF battle (and got great deals on the Bose speakers).