What's new

Using Material to cover giant mirror in Theater.....? (1 Viewer)

Matt*B

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all,

In the rear of my theater, I have a giant mirror on the back wall. It's about 4'x15'. About 25 feet away (the other end of the theater) is my 65" mitsubishi HDTV. I have a 6.1 setup, and the surround backs are on the back wall above the mirror.... Anyway, i realize that this mirror may be bouncing sound around that's unwanted (granted some flat surface is desired), not to mention the light and reflection produced from the TV. Now, i was thinking about buying a 6 foot by 4 foot piece of black fleece to hang in the center where the TV reflection would be. This would eliminate glare and extra light, as well as have some sound absorbing quality.... Is this a good idea? I figure this way, I can simply hang it when I watch a movie, then fold it up when I am done...

Update -- OK, i bought the material -- seems like it wa sa great idea. Now, I just have to find the best way to mount/hang it. I'll try velcro first.... I want it to be removeable....

update again... I bought a nice grommett kit. I am gonna use that with hooks on the wall.... should be nice!

Thanks,

Matt

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
So why not take the mirror off the wall?

So was there a big change in sound or just light?
Another option might be those big sheets of rigid insulation.
I used one to put in front of a door to quiet the rest of the house on loud movies.
I covered it with fabric using a glue gun and it looked good.
Cheap light weight and really absorbs sound. Hang it in front of the mirror to really stop that reflection

Grant

Matt*B

Stunt Coordinator
Hello....

The mirror was REALLY expensive and is part of the room... I just wanted something to cover it while I watched movies "in theater mode." The sound is is great! There is no "empty space" sound in that section anymore. Since the ceiling is soundproof -- this is a nice compliment. I used grommetts, and the material hangs on the hooks when being used. It's wonderful!

Later,

Matt

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Matt
Yes they can be $$$$!
Even small ones are pricey. Glad you are happy with it; I was just trying to give you options if you were still searching and sometimes the most obvious (removing the mirror) is the one overlooked until last.
I have done that more than once.
Cheers
Grant

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks