What's new

Using Gamma to dial in grayscale on Samsung E7000 Plasma.... (1 Viewer)

atcdav

Auditioning
Real Name
dave schmied
I just received my first Plasma HDTV. Samsung E7000. I am a novice DIYer not equipment. I bought the Disney WOW disc for some basic calibrations. I cannot get the grayscale inline using contrast and brightness. The TV just doesnt seem to have enough white side contrast. Using the WOW pattern I and 3%-4% too white. I have contrast at 100% which seem too much but at anything less I'm too far passed ideal white into the invisible area of the pattern. I looked and the Gamma test pattern and it is nowhere near 2.2 from looking with my own eyes. if I lower gamma to -3 it gets me closer to 2.2 but still far away around 1.6-1.8. However it seems if I leave gamma at -3 I get better adjustments wit the brightness and contrast. I have not tough 10p whiite or white balance. Will a professional calibration be able to access adjustments that I cannot and get the TV better dialed in? Wll the 10p and whote balance giving greater range for the contrast and brightness? The color seems perfect it needed little to no adjustment using the color filters. But the black detail seems limited when watching TV.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
A good professional calibrator will be able to do miracles to your display. I think your logic process is off / flawed? The Brightness and contrast adjustments will affect your dynamic range. In Movie mode, the Brightness control should be around 45. the Contrast should be around 85. the Gray scale has no direct corelation to these controls. The white balance controls (2 point and 10 point) effect the gray scale. Gamma should be at 0 or - 1.

atcdav

Auditioning
Real Name
dave schmied
I am using the wrong term then. The test pattern for the brightness and contrast I was calling grayscale and the DVD portion called grayscale had a similar pattern. I originally set the contrast/brightness at 95/46 (default 100/45) which was ok but again shadow detail lacking, I changed gamma to +2 which seemed to help the shadow detail come through. When looking at these patterns the contrast was way into the above "ideal" white and I could not get it close with the bright ( black) around the ideal black mark. So in the test pattern moving gamma also the way down to -3 allowed more contrast adjustment.. When using is disc gamma pattern any setting -3 to +3 was nowhere near what is showed to be 2.2.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Go find one of these... http://www.amazon.com/Spears-High-Definition-Benchmark-Blu-ray-Edition/dp/B001UM29OC/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1362009042&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=spear+munsil If that won't get it to your satisfaction...then call somebody in. If you do buy that disc...pack a lunch and plan not to leave the house for a couple of hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks