1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Using ESXI for some old school gaming...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by mattCR, Jun 26, 2013.

1. mattCR

mattCR Well-Known Member
    HW Reviewer

Matt
    Recently, I finished demoting my old WHS V1 Server, but felt as though I could come up with a use for it for some other projects. Over the weekend, I converted it over to run VMWare ESXi, which I use on a daily basis (for work) with the goal of doing something different.. installing several OS's that ran games that no matter what I do I can't get to successfully run on Windows 7 X64.
    Most of these were games for Windows 98, a few ran in Windows XP, But I kept thinking.. this has got to be possible.

Low and behold, after a day or so of screwing around with it, I finally managed to get my Windows 98SE and Windows XP setups fully operational.. and old school gaming (like REALLY old school gaming) is up and running.

The pros:

There are some games that my kids hadn't ever seen or heard of that run like champs in full quality. There are some games I haven't seen or played in FOREVER that I'm enjoying a great deal of... my kids seem to think it's pretty cool to just snap up an OS and get it to run what I want.

The Negative:
    One thing ESXI doesn't do is provide sound over PCoIP. In fact, it doesn't really offer audio devices to the clients, for various reasons. So, in the end, I had to solve that. Solution? I ended up grabbing 3 USB Soundcards (generic CMEDIA devices) and allowed them to pass through... so far, so good, almost every game I've tried has worked just fine, I just route the audio out of the USB adapter to the Aux on the receiver, and use my HTPC to run VSphere to grab it in an alternate view.

Still a lot more tweaking to go; I have a few games I'm very doubtful I can make work correctly.. mostly DOS only items, but I'm giving it a go ;)