What's new

Using Computer subwoofer on home theater (1 Viewer)

Aintnorock

Auditioning
Real Name
Carl
I have an Altec Lansing ACS44 powered sub-woffer - it is designed for use with a computer, but I want to use it with my new home theater. The problem that I have is that the subwoofer has 2 speakers attached to it, 1 of which has the on off switch. I really don't need the 2 speakers, as I have other, better, bose speakers for the home theater.

My question is (before I go and rip everything apart and rewire the switch), will the sub-woofer work without the speakers attached, assuming I can hard wire the on off switch in the speakers?

thanks,
carl

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Let's refer to the subwoofer unit as part A and the two other speakers as parts B and C.

What unit does the power cord go to?

What controls (volume, level, etc.) are on each unit?

Describe the wires and cables that go to each unit and what wires go where?

What kind of plugs and jacks are used with each cable, and what kind of jacks are there not being used?

(Most of the time posters don't like it when replyers not knowledgeable about the product chime in but this time I'll try to pull hens' teeth and let you kibitz us so I don't have to Google about the product which we are not familiar with.)

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Does your Bose system not have a subwoofer? I would think that a computer sub would be pretty small.....

And, how will you connect the subwoofer? If you wire it to the front speakers in the Bose, then there will be no low frequency sound for the sub to produce.

Or, are your Bose speakers not part of a larger system with surrounds and sub and power amp and all that??

Aintnorock

Auditioning
Real Name
Carl
My bose speakers do not have a subwoofer.

I have used this subwoofer before with the two attached speakers and it produced plenty of bass - too much for my wife who hates base, that's why I don't have the Bose subwoofer any more.

Here are the connections.

110V power cord goes to the subwoofer.

Input to the subwoofer is two mini plugs 3.5 mm labeled Input 1 asnd Inut 2.

The output on the subwoofer is a round plug with 8 pins that goes to one of the small speakers that has the switch.

I took the switch assembly apart and found:
Two of those wires goes to the attached small speaker.
Two go to the jack to which the other speaker is plugged into.
Two more goto the switch which is a rheostat with on/off.

Apparently, the other 2 wires are not used.

Aintnorock

Auditioning
Real Name
Carl
My bose speakers do not have a subwoofer.

I have used this subwoofer before with the two attached speakers and it produced plenty of bass - too much for my wife who hates base, that's why I don't have the Bose subwoofer any more.

Here are the connections.

110V power cord goes to the subwoofer.

Input to the subwoofer is two mini plugs 3.5 mm labeled Input 1 asnd Inut 2.

The output on the subwoofer is a round plug with 8 pins that goes to one of the small speakers that has the switch.

I took the switch assembly apart and found:
Two of those wires goes to the attached small speaker.
Two go to the jack to which the other speaker is plugged into.
Two more goto the switch which is a rheostat with on/off - if I recall correctly, I believe that this controls the volume of the small speakers.
Apparently, the other 2 wires are not used.

The subwoofer unit has a sub volume control on the back of the unit.

My amplifier has a subwoofer output - an RCA jack - I intend to use a Y connection and plug into the 2 inputs on the subwoofer.

Aintnorock

Auditioning
Real Name
Carl
Well, I hooked it up, and it works. The 8 pin plug has to be plugged in and tunred on for it to work.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
With just one subwoofer output from the main amplifier I think you don't need the Y connector, just connect the cable from the amp to one of the subwoofer inputs.

I suspect that if you short together the two wires (or matching pin socket holes for those wires) that go to the switch, that will turn on the subwoofer without the two small speakers. You'll have to be careful, that could be a 110 volt connection and wire ends and contacts have to be covered. Also you have to be careful not to connect the wrong two socket holes together or else something might be burned out. If this works you would install a switch on the subwoofer unit to turn it on and off.

luckytiff02

Auditioning
Real Name
Tiffany Johnson
There are two parts to the project, small satellite speakers that sit on the desk next to the monitor, and a sealed, equalised sub-woofer that also contains all the amplifiers, power supplies and other electronics. The sub extends happily to 30Hz, and makes quite a good account of itself considering its size. It also makes a fine foot rest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks