What's new

USHE Press Release: Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray) includes Creature (1 Viewer)

P

Patrick Donahue

Ronald Epstein said:
It made my day, as I really wasn't too
happy paying $111 with all the other boxed sets I have
preordered.
Ron,
September is definitely a one-of-a-kind month as far as all these boxed set releases go. One trick I did to lower the burden a few months from now... I've been buying myself an Amazon gift card (electronically) for about half the purchase price before pre-ordering a set, as a kind of a down payment. For instance I sent myself a gift card for $40, then pre-ordered Indiana Jones, which means come September I'll only have to pay $35 or so. If I want in the coming months, I can give myself a gift card for the remaining amount, cancel the order, then re-order, making it paid for, almost like an installment plan.
I wouldn't normally do something like this, but in this case it's really going to help me get my hands on these great releases while also making it easier on the wallet!
Patrick

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
Because fortunately there was an agreement on ONE standard for HD video. Which is kinda refreshing, but probably also cheaper for the studios, since they don't have to manufacture different discs for different countries with different specs. As I said before HD Video can be 1080i/50, which will not play right on US HDTVs unless you have an Oppo or TV that can handle it, which I don't yet. I found that out the hard way with the Blu-ray of An Idiot Abroad, which I'm just waiting to get an Oppo at some point since my Panasonic won't play it and my Mitsubishi TV won't either. But for movies, it's all pretty much standard. I'm sure there is a much longer and technical reason, but that's the gist as I understand it.

Edit: Malcolm beat me to it, with a better technical explanation.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I tried to compare the UK and US versions on Amazon, but you can't. The US Amazon does not list the extras. No details at all. So we can't tell if the Spanish Dracula will be included with the UK version. Maybe this will become clearer as release date approaches. I know it's highly likely I'm going to cancel my US preorder and place an order with Amazon.UK.
Was there a UK press release?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hey Patrick,

That's a great idea. I wish I could train myself to do that.

Instead, I just eat cans of cat food for a few months to afford
the Blu-ray sets I need.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
rayman1701 said:
Because fortunately there was an agreement on ONE standard for HD video.  Which is kinda refreshing, but probably also cheaper for the studios, since they don't have to manufacture different discs for different countries with different specs.  As I said before HD Video can be 1080i/50, which will not play right on US HDTVs unless you have an Oppo or TV that can handle it, which I don't yet.  I found that out the hard way with the Blu-ray of An Idiot Abroad, which I'm just waiting to get an Oppo at some point since my Panasonic won't play it and my Mitsubishi TV won't either.  But for movies, it's all pretty much standard.  I'm sure there is a much longer and technical reason, but that's the gist as I understand it.
Edit:  Malcolm beat me to it, with a better technical explanation.
There are quite a few BD players, cheaper than the Oppo, which will output 1080/50i as 1080/60. I have an LG which does (multi-region/zone as well). With this player, you don't need a TV that can handle 1080/50i.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
FoxyMulder said:
/t/321849/ushe-press-release-universal-classic-monsters-the-essential-collection-blu-ray-includes-creature-in-3d/90#post_3945218
Because fortunately there was an agreement on ONE standard for HD video. Which is kinda refreshing, but probably also cheaper for the studios, since they don't have to manufacture different discs for different countries with different specs. As I said before HD Video can be 1080i/50, which will not play right on US HDTVs unless you have an Oppo or TV that can handle it, which I don't yet. I found that out the hard way with the Blu-ray of An Idiot Abroad, which I'm just waiting to get an Oppo at some point since my Panasonic won't play it and my Mitsubishi TV won't either. But for movies, it's all pretty much standard. I'm sure there is a much longer and technical reason, but that's the gist as I understand it.

Edit: Malcolm beat me to it, with a better technical explanation.
Thanks guys! Good to know.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Russell G said:
Or Universal can stop being so pig headed and price it right from the get go in North America. Do the studios not realize that the internet exists and allows for easy price comparisons like this? It makes no marketing sense to charge a territory over double the price. Especially one the size of North America.
There seems to be more behind the differing prices in regards to global region. Japanese blu-rays and DVDs, for instance, are often double (or more) the North American prices. For example, the Universal monster collections there cost between $175-$190 per volume, each containing four films and is also distributed by Universal.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein /t/321849/ushe-press-release-universal-classic-monsters-the-essential-collection-blu-ray-includes-creature-in-3d/90#post_3945221
Instead, I just eat cans of cat food for a few months to afford
the Blu-ray sets I need.

Tried that, unfortunately my cat got her claws out and demanded i get my own food.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by JoHud /t/321849/ushe-press-release-universal-classic-monsters-the-essential-collection-blu-ray-includes-creature-in-3d/90#post_3945237
There seems to be more behind the differing prices in regards to global region. Japanese blu-rays and DVDs, for instance, are often double (or more) the North American prices. For example, the Universal monster collections there cost between $175-$190 per volume, each containing four films and is also distributed by Universal.

Which is just as pig headed as charging NA double what the UK pays.

And they wonder why they are having problems with online sales/piracy....

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Quote:
Since the consensus about these Box Sets (Monsters / Hitchcock / Bond / etc) is to get the UK version (which allegedly will be region-free). Can HTF get an agreement to get money from Amazon UK and therefore post a link to use for ordering?

Just verified we do get credit. If you preordered already, no worries. If you have yet to preorder, here are the links below. Thank you as always.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008H45YSO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLEhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Alfred-Hitchcock-Masterpiece-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B008D1TNCE/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1341570599&sr=1-1

Don't know how I feel about the U.K. Hitchcock packaging compared to the U.S.

The U.K. packaging is more attractive, but much too large to fit on a shelf.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Ronald Epstein said:
Don't know how I feel about the U.K. Hitchcock packaging compared to the U.S. The U.K. packaging is more attractive, but much too large to fit on a shelf.
I think the US packaging is worlds better. The US packaging makes clever use of the original marketing materials from all the films in the set, while the UK packaging gives the confusing impression that it's the box for a The Birds special edition. The UK's transparent plastic top looks "fancy for fancy's sake" rather than leading with imagery that promotes the content.

rayman1701

Second Unit
Real Name
Ray Miller
Originally Posted by Doctorossi /t/321849/ushe-press-release-universal-classic-monsters-the-essential-collection-blu-ray-includes-creature-in-3d/90#post_3945369
I think the US packaging is worlds better. The US packaging makes clever use of the original marketing materials from all the films in the set, while the UK packaging gives the confusing impression that it's the box for a The Birds special edition. The UK's transparent plastic top looks "fancy for fancy's sake" rather than leading with imagery that promotes the content.
I agree with that. While the German Amazon site has some pictures of the open "book", which looks kinda neat, I just can't get past the size of the UK set. I'm quickly running out of places to put such a big set, so I'd probably have to put it in something else to consolidate to a decent size, and if I do that then might as well get the US set, which I also agree looks cool, with the letters mixed & matched from each movie and parts of the posters in the Hitch logo. And you are also right that with the birds it does look like it could be some super deluxe Birds set, not the Masterpiece Collection.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I like the multi-font look of the US Hitchcock set better as well; but I pre-ordered the UK version to save $100. I also pre-ordered the UK Monster set for the same reason.
Aside from The Ten Commandments (and the Man From UNCLE DVD briefcase set), I've done pretty well at getting what I want on Blu-ray without buying the big boxes, as I am running out of room for media storage. I'm probably going to get a new TV stand at some point, and I think the shelves of the stand will be used to hold the big-box sets I currently have, as they won't hold my A/V components.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ronald Epstein said:
Just verified we do get credit.  If you preordered already, no worries.  If you have yet to preorder, here are the links below.  Thank you as always
I'm glad you were able to do this. Of course, now you have to get someone to draw you a new Button.
"It's always gonna be something with you, isn't it Joe?"
David

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Okay, I pre-ordered the Monsters box, along with a few other things that will ship right away, using the new link. Thank you, Ron -- I will be using the HTF links for Amazon UK a lot, no question. Too bad we didn't know about this before.

Price was $58 US to me today, but hey, I'll take it. So now I have two pre-orders in for this set, one major reason being to show the studio our support for the announced 3-D release of Creature From the Black Lagoon contained within. Which brings me to something that's been bugging me: Unless I'm somehow missing it, except for the press release, they aren't touting the inclusion of that anywhere on the box or the general descriptions I've seen. People need to know about this! But of course they also need to know myriad other details, and we don't have those yet, either. Soon, I hope.

Kosty

Supporting Actor
Real Name
blueshadow
FoxyMulder said:
The extras on Blu ray discs by the major studio's are never PAL and if in standard definition are always 480i so rest easy on that count, Universal like Warner are always region free unless another studio owns the rights in that particular territory, in this case Universal holds the worldwide rights so they will all be region free, regarding your last comment and Universal doing something like adding a little too much noise reduction or a little bit of edge sharpening, well that's possible, your tolerance to this will vary depending on your screen size and opinion's on how film like a transfer should be.
Thanks for mentioning this. That was holding me back from ordering it from Amazon UK.
This is a Holy Grail set for me. Along with the Hitchcock box set these are the kinda of titles I've dreamed about seeing in high definition optical disc ever since before the format war days and the first announcement of HD DVD and Blu-ray back in the day. Great they are finally coming to Blu-ray.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Chas in CT said:
Okay, I pre-ordered the Monsters box, along with a few other things that will ship right away, using the new link.  Thank you, Ron -- I will be using the HTF links for Amazon UK a lot, no question.  Too bad we didn't know about this before.
How do these links work? If I click on the Monster set, order it, and find something else to buy, will HTF get credit , even if I didn't use a link, but I'm still in the same session that used a link?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Johnny,

The moment you click on a link here that takes you to Amazon,
we get credit for everything that you purchase during that session.

Of course, it doesn't cost you extra to do it, and we are thankful
for the support.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
When you say everything, if I buy a gross of Bolivian button hooks, does HTF get the credit? It doesn't have to be HTF related?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Johnny,

That is correct. Once you use an Amazon link from HTF, our
reference code remains live in your browser. So, you can buy
anything -- even items non HTF related -- and we still get credit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks