1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

USHE Press Release: Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray) includes Creature

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 28, 2012.

1. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Did Joe actually say to you he didn't see any edge enhancement or did he just not say anything. ?

2. Kevin EK

Kevin EK Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Joe and I looked at the image together on his system. Joe is not shy about PQ issues. If he sees edge enhancement, he instantly jumps. He showed me examples of it on other titles, including the HD-DVD of Meet Joe Black. With The Wolf Man, we were looking at the image quality and seeing plenty of detail. We discussed the issues RAH said he was seeing, but we weren't seeing it. To each their own.

On the other hand, with Phantom of the Opera, the registration errors practically jumped off the screen. And with Creature, we were seeing completely inexplicable PQ drops. The 3D eyestrain issue was something I found on my own with my own setup at home.

3. Bob Furmanek

Bob Furmanek Insider
    Insider

4. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Yet there it is, obvious as daylight on the transfer, it's a right or wrong type of discussion, we can't both be right therefore i guess we are both going to have to disagree completely on this one.

5. Kevin EK

Kevin EK Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

To Bob: Hello, good to talk to you again. And you're absolutely right on the PQ on Creature. It just really popped for us in Blu-ray. For me, this is akin to the issue I had at the end of the Blu-ray of Raiders of the Lost Ark, where the final matte painting is now blatantly obvious. When I saw Raiders at the Mann National in Westwood, I don't remember any such reaction.

To Malcolm: I can only tell you what Joe Kane and I saw in our screening together last year. You can dispute Joe's findings if you wish, and you can post screencaps, but that will not change the reaction Joe had at the time. I note that RAH also had issues with the transfer. We didn't. Doesn't mean that we didn't see issues anywhere in the set. Just means that we didn't see what you saw. You're correct that this isn't a right or wrong discussion.

6. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Well-Known Member

Peter Apruzzese
    Can you tell me which of your screencaps (and picture area within it) best show the EE artifacts you are seeing on The Worlfman? I've got a new larger projection screen just installed so I'll be curious to compare with what I see.

7. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Take a look at caps 7, 19 and 20, i am viewing them at the moment on a 60 inch plasma, no sharpening being added to the screen and nor was any added to the caps i made, it's not just those moments though but those caps should help you see it.

8. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Not sure if this has been posted here or not, but via Reddit, a high quality production still used for promotion.

Dig it!
    [​IMG]

9. John Morgan

John Morgan Well-Known Member

John
    I have seen this still before, but never realized all the "images" buried in the rock formations. Quite creepy.

10. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I just did a quickie google search for creature images and only found this image once and it was cropped in portrait mode. This may be the first time either you or I have seen so much of the "rocks." They certainly look less like rocks in this pic.

11. Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin Well-Known Member

Stanley
    U.S. Packaging Glue Issue

I didn't see anything about this in the two main threads, so I thought I would bring it up here. I have known about the digibook glue issue from day one and have finally decided to contact Universal about replacement packaging. Has anyone else had this problem? Initially I cleaned off the glue that stuck to the surface of the BRDs with alcohol, then weighted the digibook (minus the discs) for a day hoping to get the glue to dry to the packaging, and it worked. The discs wouldn't quite go in as far as before, but I didn't mind this since it was easier to remove them - it basically took a little pull with a finger tip once I did this, to get the discs out of the page sleeves. Well now the slots have begun to open up again and are leaving glue on the discs again. I don't want to simply do my own alternate packaging and have asked Universal if they can supply an alternate or improved packaging, and I'm awaiting their reply. Has anyone else had this issue and contacted Universal?

12. bigshot

bigshot Well-Known Member

Stephen
    If they send you alternate packaging, it's just going to be a blank plastic box. It won't have the printing on it. You can get that yourself for a dollar or two.

13. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Well-Known Member

Patrick McCart
    Someone used Photoshop to extend the sides by copying and mirroring.

Johnny Angell likes this.
  14. Dr Griffin

Stanley
    A dollar saved is a dollar earned.

15. battlebeast

battlebeast Well-Known Member

Warren
    Dear universal: can you stop rerelease get these monster movies and please release some unreleased content like Cleopatra, Skippy, maybe the Ernst Lubitch Musicals?

16. Steve...O

Steve...O Well-Known Member

Steve
    I'd love for Universal to continue the classic monster BD series with the sequels. Son of Frankenstein being at the top of the list.

Tony J Case, Jack K and aPhil like this.
  17. Dr Griffin

Stanley
    Well it's been 3 weeks since I contacted Universal about this issue and I haven't heard a word. I had a similar packaging issue with Fox's Planet of the Apes 40 Year Evolution box set where the BDs were stuck on this little rubber plug, and removing them was scary. Two of the discs developed cracks, rendering them unplayable. I contacted FOX, and they immediately were very helpful - sending a prepaid label to ship the item back to them. When all was said and done, FOX returned my original packaging and also sent along all 5 of the films in the set in their own packaging. A truly good customer service experience. Universal needs to learn a thing or two.

JohnMor likes this.
  18. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    That would explain the rocks oddness. Works for me. The rocks were starting to look like those roreshock (sp) ink blots.

19. John Sparks

John Sparks Well-Known Member

John Sparks
    What hurts about this is that some of us that paid the full price when it first came out...stupidy comes to mine...or, they might not lower it. Well, I see that those of us that thought that...we were so wrong!

20. Tony J Case

Tony J Case Well-Known Member

I keep seeing that "Every monster movie Universal did" DVD set on sale in places, and keep thinking "Ooooh. . . maybe." but then decide to wait until the Blues come out.

. . . .It might be a while.

Steve...O likes this.