What's new

USHE Press Release: Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray) includes Creature (1 Viewer)

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I had so much trouble with the Legacy sets, I wound up buying the previously released double features of the sequels. They had been going for big bucks until the Legacy sets came out so I was able to get them very cheaply. No INVISIBLE MAN or CREATURE sequels though so I still have the Legacy sets. But for all the other ones the original releases are preferable and have fantastic covers!

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Professor Echo said:
I had so much trouble with the Legacy sets, I wound up buying the previously released double features of the sequels. They had been going for big bucks until the Legacy sets came out so I was able to get them very cheaply. No INVISIBLE MAN or CREATURE sequels though so I still have the Legacy sets. But for all the other ones the original releases are preferable and have fantastic covers!
I completely agree. I could never bear to part with those original DVD releases, so I kept them when I got the Legacy collections. Still got 'em. :D

Creature From the Black Lagoon (2D Version):
Video: A
Audio: A
Dracula (Spanish Version)
Video: A (does not include the grade for the third reel, which comes from a poorer source and itself would rate a D.)
Audio: A

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Yeah, once I have the Blu-ray set in hand, I'm dumping whatever Legacy sets I can and keeping the former DVDs of the sequels.

I still have several of these on the Encore series laserdiscs.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Chas in CT said:
Yeah, once I have the Blu-ray set in hand, I'm dumping whatever Legacy sets I can and keeping the former DVDs of the sequels.
I still have several of these on the Encore series laserdiscs.
I don't have 'em all in front of me, but I think House of Dracula, the two Creature sequels, and the four Invisible Man sequels are the only ones not included in the original DVD releases.... right?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Watched Dracula last night. Amazing presentation. I must say that the audio lacking that garbled hiss it seemingly always had on video is a great pleasure to take in. Such a strangely quiet film, which has the odd effect of eerieness. (There is the *faintest* of background hiss, just enough to have what I would call "character").

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
Brandon Conway said:
Watched Dracula last night. Amazing presentation. I must say that the audio lacking that garbled hiss it seemingly always had on video is a great pleasure to take in. Such a strangely quiet film, which has the odd effect of eerieness. (There is the *faintest* of background hiss, just enough to have what I would call "character").
Agreed 100%. Previous incarnations were almost a chore to watch. The restoration allows the film's atmospheric tone to truly resonate.
Embarrassing confession #2: I'm one of the three people on Earth who actually like the Philip Glass score, and wish it had been provided in HD audio. That notwithstanding, the restored original mono audio, as you and others have noted, is a revelation.

Woody8

Agent
Real Name
Glenn
I like the Glass score too, and glad it was included as an extra, but yes the cleaned original audio is a revelation

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I'd never want it to replace the original version, but I like the Glass score too; it makes for an interesting alternate version of the movie.
However, didn't the '99 DVD have a 5.0 track with the Glass score? I think every version since has just been 2.0.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Saw Creature From The Black Lagoon tonight, no freezing, played fine from beginning to the end, i actually expected more in your face pop out than i got, maybe i have been spoiled by watching A Turtles Tale a few days previously, fine depth in the underwater scenes, the looking back documentary was interesting, nice to put a face to Bob Furmacek, his explanation about the sequel was interesting too, i guess that one will not be coming out in 3D anytime soon.

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
Hi all. I know this is an old thread, but I finally got my set a few days ago.
So far I've watched the Wolfman, and I'm watching The Invisible Man now as I compose this post on my Android tablet.
VERY pleased with these two.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Jacksmyname said:
Hi all. I know this is an old thread, but I finally got my set a few days ago.
So far I've watched the Wolfman, and I'm watching The Invisible Man now as I compose this post on my Android tablet.
VERY pleased with these two.
Glad to hear you are pleased with The Wolf Man, i was very disappointed myself, in fact that one and Phantom Of The Opera disappointed me with regards image quality and what might have been.

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
FoxyMulder said:
Glad to hear you are pleased with The Wolf Man, i was very disappointed myself, in fact that one and Phantom Of The Opera disappointed me with regards image quality and what might have been.
Surprised that you're disappointed. Wolf Man looked great on my display.
Finished Invisible Man and then The Mummy. Very glad I bought this set, although I still have 6 to go.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Jacksmyname said:
Surprised that you're disappointed. Wolf Man looked great on my display.
Finished Invisible Man and then The Mummy. Very glad I bought this set, although I still have 6 to go.
The Wolf Man transfer has edge enhancement, it's been sharpened, edge halo's are obvious and my display is calibrated.

You can see it in some of the screencaps i did for my site below.

http://www.darkrealmfox.com/film_reviews/blu-ray-screencaps-the-wolf-man/

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
There was some discussion about The Wolf Man last year when I put my review up. RAH had some issues with that transfer. Joe and I did not, and we were watching on his optimally designed system, on a 90" screen.

Here's the link to the full review, which also goes through all the special features:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/317999-universal-classic-monsters-the-essential-collection-blu-ray-review-recommended/

The short version is that we were very happy until we got to the last two movies in the box. The Phantom of the Opera has some strange registration errors as I noted, and Creature from the Black Lagoon has PQ issues as well as what I can only think of as a misaligned 3D transfer. Bob Furmaneck's review of the 3D disc gave a much more careful explanation of the problem there, but it gave me eyestrain at multiple points.

It's still a great set of Blu-rays, and I'm glad to have it. Dracula and the Frankenstein movies in particular are revelations with the new transfers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks