What's new

USHE Press Release: Universal Classic Monsters: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray) includes Creature (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
1b5623fd_a7200b4b_a.gif

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
THANK GOD for Creature in 3D !!!!!!!!!
That makes my day. Actually, my week, all things considered! It makes the entire package worthwhile for moi -- and I haven't even pored over all the details
Thank you, Universal.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Oh, wow! They did it (CBL 3D)! I'm a little shocked. Now... are they going to release that bad-boy separately?
Of course, the other question remains... will they get the aspect ratio right this time?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am frothing at the mouth for this one. Just waiting for a price.

As soon as Amazon announces it for preorder we'll post it here,
and would appreciate members lettings us know what they find.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Doctorossi /t/321849/ushe-press-release-universal-classic-monsters-the-essential-collection-blu-ray-creature-in-3d#post_3943002
Now... are they going to release that bad-boy separately?

I imagine it will be at least 6 months before any of the films from the set get individual releases.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Look, I know I shouldn't be disappointed that this doesn't have all the sequel films like the Legacy sets have, but I am. I was hoping that this Blu set would clear the deck so that we could start getting new films that haven't been released as well as wanted to upgrade the previous piss poor flipper releases so I had a set that actually played without skipping. Hopefully we'll get a mega-set of the "B" films next year. Also, that "Universal Monsters" doc narrated by Branagh is missing. I know, they put it on each of the 3 Ultimate releases of Frankie Drac and Wolfie, but still, it should be in here!

I'll still buy this though, as I have ever other version that Uni has put out on disc ha ha! Don't get me wrong, I'm excited! Maybe for the first time ever we'll get these films with no sound issues. I think every release had some kind of problem with a sound effect missing, then fixed only to have something else missing. I never noticed but I know the purists did. FINGERS CROSSED!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
wondering about seperate releases myself, and if anything would be different, i am frothing as well but really missing one make that two , oh hell i could go on they could do a second set , Draculas Daughter, Son of F, Son of D, House of F, House of D, F meets the W, the other two Creature films, the Mummy 4 films.

Thank You Uni, just made my Halloween!!!!!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Also, I''m jealous that many of you will be able to watch Creature in 3D. My dad saw it on it's original run and swears to this day it was the greatest thing he'd ever seen and that 3D now is poor compared to it. If only I had 2 eyes!

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Russell G /t/321849/ushe-press-release-universal-classic-monsters-the-essential-collection-blu-ray-creature-in-3d#post_3943024
Also, I''m jealous that many of you will be able to watch Creature in 3D. My dad saw it on it's original run and swears to this day it was the greatest thing he'd ever seen and that 3D now is poor compared to it. If only I had 2 eyes!

Sounds like somebody needs to think about a new TV for Dad for Christmas.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Also of note that supposed the inclusion of the 1925 Phantom of the Opera that was"leaked" Universal 2012 list we got last spring was apparently bogus. Not surprised at all really.
3D Creature from the Black Lagoon is a real treat and I'm hoping this leads to the release of more 3D features in the Universal vaults.
I'm cautiously optimistic and will await reviewing on this to make sure if it isn't wiser to either wait for a cheaper price or buy select singles. I really hope Universal was smart enough to release the unedited Dracula (1931) in HD, and not use the same print they used for the Legacy set. And will the Spanish cut be in HD? After what happened with All Quiet on the Western Front's silent version, I doubt it.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by JoHud /t/321849/ushe-press-release-universal-classic-monsters-the-essential-collection-blu-ray-includes-creature-in-3d#post_3943029
Also of note that supposed the inclusion of the 1925 Phantom of the Opera that was"leaked" Universal 2012 list we got last spring was apparently bogus. Not surprised at all really.
3D Creature from the Black Lagoon is a real treat and I'm hoping this leads to the release of more 3D features in the Universal vaults.
I'm cautiously optimistic and will await reviewing on this to make sure if it isn't wiser to either wait for a cheaper price or buy select singles. I really hope Universal was smart enough to release the unedited Dracula (1931) in HD, and not use the same print they used for the Legacy set. And will the Spanish cut be in HD? After what happened with All Quiet on the Western Front's silent version, I doubt it.

I'm okay with the original Phantom missing, I got the Kino blu of it sitting to be watched (I think it was Kino). I wish they would of included "The Climax" in this one since it's a bit crap and the Phantom disc is kind of thin on extras compared to the other ones, they could of got it over with.

As excited as I am, I'll be waiting for a review as well. Universal is all over the map quality wise in every way possible. from weird edits to terrible pressings.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Retail is $160 according to Classic Flix.

Ouch. That's a tad high, though some would
argue $20 a disc may be a fair price.

Actually, if this were selling on Amazon for
just under $100 it would be much more attractive.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Tom Weaver's commentary on the DVDs is fantastic. I am glad to see those are being ported over.
For those wanting a mega box set that contained all the related films like the Legacy series, I recall that TheDigitalBits' Bill Hunt mentioned talking with Universal reps and it seems that they were estimating not enough units would be sold to make it profitable for them do to individual releases. By going with an "all monsters" set, they can see if there is enough of a market, informing their decision to do Blu-ray releases in Dracula, Frankenstien, Creature, and Wolfman legacy-like series sets, which I would love, too, even if it meant a double dip on the main film.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Disappointed in the price. Adding to wish list but holding off otherwise. Would pay that price (perhaps a little more?) for a set with all the Uni Monster movies in it! :P

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Radioman970 /t/321849/ushe-press-release-universal-classic-monsters-the-essential-collection-blu-ray-includes-creature-in-3d#post_3943052
Disappointed in the price. Adding to wish list but holding off otherwise. Would pay that price (perhaps a little more?) for a set with all the Uni Monster movies in it!

That's kind of where I'm sitting too. I mean, it would be a fair price I supposed if these are all amazing transfers with no issues, which can only be hoped for with Universals track record as opposed to being expected. Also, I know these are a debut on Blu and Uni has to make money but Christ, these are really quadruple dips to a degree, with one of the dips, the Legacy editions that had the entire film series on them, being so plagued with problems (despite the cool character busts :P) that many of us never did get fully working copies that really, this Blu set should of been the be all and end all of Monster sets to stand the test of time. You can't tell me that Universal Monsters as a brand has been a loss to Universal as a whole, it just seems ridiculous to think so.

I really hope they do this set right. :)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Classicflix has it marked down to $129.99, so an Amazon price close to $100 should be expected, though maybe not right away.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Classixflix.com is selling this for $130
http://www.classicflix.com/universal-classic-monsters-essential-collection-october-a-1259.html

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Russell G said:
Look, I know I shouldn't be disappointed that this doesn't have all the sequel films like the Legacy sets have, but I am. I was hoping that this Blu set would clear the deck so that we could start getting new films that haven't been released as well as wanted to upgrade the previous piss poor flipper releases so I had a set that actually played without skipping. Hopefully we'll get a mega-set of the "B" films next year. Also, that "Universal Monsters" doc narrated by Branagh is missing. I know, they put it on each of the 3 Ultimate releases of Frankie Drac and Wolfie, but still, it should be in here!
I'll still buy this though, as I have ever other version that Uni has put out on disc ha ha! Don't get me wrong, I'm excited! Maybe for the first time ever we'll get these films with no sound issues. I think every release had some kind of problem with a sound effect missing, then fixed only to have something else missing. I never noticed but I know the purists did. FINGERS CROSSED!
Is any other prior extra missing other than the Branagh documentary? Last Halloween, Walmart had Frank 75 for $7.50, I never bought any of them, but it might be worth picking up one for the doc. It was quite good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks